Author Topic: Red Sox 2012 Season Thread  (Read 12182 times)

Red Sox 2012 Season Thread
« on: May 02, 2012, 05:02:52 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Middlebrook is up and in the starting lineup at 3B tonight.  Iglesias up too.

Interesting times.  At least something to be hopeful about.
Yup

Re: Red Sox 2012 Season Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 05:16:21 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Pretty bad season so far from the front office perspective. Seems like by now they should learn not to give out massive long contracts for non-A list stars (Beckett, Crawford, Lackey) especially when they are older. Also hate giving up value for relief pitching (lowrie for melancon). Relievers are so volatile and can usually be picked up off the scrap heap. If we'd avoided Crawford and or Lackey, they could have just kept Papelbon and not had to worry about trading to solidify the bullpen.

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 05:54:09 PM »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee
Pretty bad season so far from the front office perspective. Seems like by now they should learn not to give out massive long contracts for non-A list stars (Beckett, Crawford, Lackey) especially when they are older. Also hate giving up value for relief pitching (lowrie for melancon). Relievers are so volatile and can usually be picked up off the scrap heap. If we'd avoided Crawford and or Lackey, they could have just kept Papelbon and not had to worry about trading to solidify the bullpen.

Only bad move from this current front office so far teams to be Melacon for Lowrie. But then again, the moved Lowrie (and Scutaro) in order to get Aviles in there and that move has paid off.

That is why many Red Sox fans dislike Theo. He has put them in a terrible spot with some of the contracts he handed out and just took off then things got rocky and those contracts started to come back to bite him. He literally made it so that this new regime had no money to spend to make the necessary improvements and forced them to make risk/reward type moves like the Melancon one.

Other than the the signing of Cody Ross, acquisition of Ryan Sweeney, Marlon Byrd, the Aviles move, the Doubront and Bard moves seem to be working pretty well at least so far.

The problem is there are still holes that were left by the Theo regime that there just isn't money there to fix (and yes I know they owners technically have the money, but the way the new CBA is written it makes little sense to be that far over the luxury tax limit).

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 05:56:08 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

Youk hurt?

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 06:50:52 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Youk hurt?

yup

Back.

He's never going to heal.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 11:59:04 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Some positives out of another loss to one of the worst teams in the majors.

Middlebrooks with 2 hits and a steal...3 stellar innings from Mortensen.

Also, Sox signed MARK PRIOR!

What a comeback story that would be.

At least there's something fairly positive to look forward to.
Yup

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 08:19:40 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
So who we trading Youkilis for?  I'm guessing we pay for 75% or so of his contract and go after a reliever.  Middlebrooks is the real deal!
do it

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 10:10:24 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
They may have to try to move Youk sooner than that, because I don't know if you can send Middlebrooks back down at this point.  He's been fine in the field and tearing it up at the plate (the baserunning gaffe on Sunday aside), so it's hard to justify sending him back down.

Honestly, I think they need to be sellers at the deadline this year, and get Middlebrooks and Iglesias in the everyday lineup.  They clearly aren't competing for a World Series this year, so now is their chance to change the culture in that clubhouse.  Beckett is first on the list of guys who need to go.

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 11:01:29 AM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
People are still watching this team? Someone wake me up when they actually start to play like they care.  ::)

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 06:37:17 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
If you want to watch a child's game played to perfection...a six year old shortstop on a Little League team in Florida made an unassisted triple play today.  He caught a pop up, stepped on third base before the runner could tag up, then turned and tagged the runner from second base for the third out.  Ha ha ha.  Forget the caveman...so easy a first grader can do it.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 06:48:30 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
People are still watching this team? Someone wake me up when they actually start to play like they care.  ::)

Sadly, I paid to watch them the last 3 nights. 

Lester deserved a better fate.  He was far from sharp but battled.  The ball that Byrd muffed was routine.  That would have gotten him out of an already long inning.  It took way too long for the Ross call to be made.

I also went to the Twins series.  That, at least was worth watching.

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 06:52:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm sorry have the Red Sox started playing yet? I haven't noticed.  ;D

Just kidding.

When I was house hunting in Florida in March I went down and caught the Red Sox/Yankees game at new Jet Blue Park in Fort Myers.

What an awesome park. If you're in Florida during spring training you have to get a view of the team playing in this park. Its as close to being in Fenway without actually being there as you can get.

The seats are even too thin and uncomfortably cramped, just like at Fenway.(Only real drawback)

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 06:44:48 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I've pretty much lost any respect that I once had for Josh Beckett ... the guy definitely moved into the Honeymoon Suite of "Jerk Central" yesterday.

I'm at the point where there's very little that will be able to salvage this season for me.

* Sigh *
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 10:00:18 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Meanwhile Clay Bucholtz pitched a shutout tonight while no one was watching.

(I flipped over during the half)
Yup

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 03:52:11 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
If this is indeed Youk's last game for the Sox, that leaves big Papi as the last hold over from the `04 team.   Youk always played hard and for most of his career played well.  Unfortunately his only redeeming value at this point is the joy of yelling "Yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooouk" when he comes to bat.  With the illustrious line of players starting Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewey Evans, Sox fans will assuredly find some alliterative joy in the next player whose name allows us to make like a giant pack of cows. 
Yup