Author Topic: Celtics need to trade Rondo this summer  (Read 83549 times)

Re: Celtics need to trade Rondo this summer
« Reply #240 on: May 23, 2012, 09:09:48 AM »

Offline Josh88

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 11
Name one player in the NBA who isn't on their rookie contract and can match Rondo's production (3x all-star, league leader in APG, perennial all-defense selection) at his salary.

The Celtics could not possibly match his talent in a trade without taking on significantly more money, it just makes no sense at all.

I don't think anyone out there can do precisely what Rondo does at any contract number. He's a unique player.

But as far as comparable talent at comparable money, Igouadala, Aldridge, Monta Ellis, Horford, Bogut, Tony Parker, Marc Gasol, Josh Smith come to mind.

Some of those guys are more established, some are less, but I think their talent levels across the board (when healthy) are about comparable to Rondo's.

I'm sorry but there's not a player you listed who's locked in for as long as Rondo is at his salary and capable of matching his production. Some are making significantly more, others are nearing the end of their deals and I would take Rondo over every one of those players.
Tony Parker finished 5th in MVP voting this year (Rondo was 8th) and makes only a tiny bit more money than Rondo over the next 3 seasons (37.5 to 36).  

EDIT:  BTW, Mike Conley makes about 12 million less than Rondo over the next 3 seasons (and is signed for an extra year after that) and while he obviously isn't as talented as Rondo, he provides a lot of the things you would want in a PG, good shooter, good ball handler, good passer, good defender.  He doesn't have quite the all around talent of Rondo, but certainly has just as good of value for his price.

Tony Parker is also 30, and the Spurs are a much deeper and overall better team.

Mike Conleys  are a dime a dozen, he isn't even in the same conversation as Rondo. Downgrading Rondo for Conley would make us a much worse team both now and in the future. Value for price at his talent level is not difficult to find, and Lowry isn't a whole lot better. An all-star point guard who leads the league in assists and can dominate both ends of the floor while making less money than every other all-star who isn't on their rookie contract is not easy to find.

Bargnani, are you kidding me? Westbrook is also in line for a max deal. Of course there are other good contracts out there, but find me one which is BETTER than Rondo's.
that is Westbrook's new contract.  Starts at just under 13 million next year, goes up about a million per year, while Rondo is at just over 11 million next year and goes up about a million per year.  And Westbrook is locked up longer than Rondo is.  Westbrook and Kevin Love (who has the exact same contract) have a better contract than Rondo for what they bring to the table.

Sure Conley is worse than Rondo, but no one suggested the Celtics should trade Rondo for Conley straight up.  The Celtics would be getting other pieces in the trade, draft picks and/or young players (or maybe Mayo if he would sign a reasonable long term deal).  I mean Conley and Mayo would provide more production on a similar salary as Rondo (unless Mayo is grossly overpaid). 

Westbrook's new contract is a max deal, as is Kevin's Love. Saying they have better deals than Rondo is equivalent to saying LeBron's contract is better than Rondo's because even though he makes more money he's the best player in the world. It's irrelevant, the fact is that Rondo is the most underpaid all-star in the league who isn't still on their rookie deal. We are very lucky that Danny locked him up when he did and saved us quite a bit of money over the length of the contract. Rondo outperforms many players on max deals.

Trading Rondo for a significantly inferior player plus picks makes no sense. The team who gets the best player in the trade almost always gets the best of the deal in the NBA. The only reason you trade a bonafide star/arguably superstar like Rondo is if he wants out. As long as he wants to stay in Boston on a very reasonable contract we should be happy to have him.

« Reply #241 on: May 23, 2012, 09:33:39 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Name one player in the NBA who isn't on their rookie contract and can match Rondo's production (3x all-star, league leader in APG, perennial all-defense selection) at his salary.

The Celtics could not possibly match his talent in a trade without taking on significantly more money, it just makes no sense at all.

I don't think anyone out there can do precisely what Rondo does at any contract number. He's a unique player.

But as far as comparable talent at comparable money, Igouadala, Aldridge, Monta Ellis, Horford, Bogut, Tony Parker, Marc Gasol, Josh Smith come to mind.

Some of those guys are more established, some are less, but I think their talent levels across the board (when healthy) are about comparable to Rondo's.

I'm sorry but there's not a player you listed who's locked in for as long as Rondo is at his salary and capable of matching his production. Some are making significantly more, others are nearing the end of their deals and I would take Rondo over every one of those players.
Tony Parker finished 5th in MVP voting this year (Rondo was 8th) and makes only a tiny bit more money than Rondo over the next 3 seasons (37.5 to 36).  

EDIT:  BTW, Mike Conley makes about 12 million less than Rondo over the next 3 seasons (and is signed for an extra year after that) and while he obviously isn't as talented as Rondo, he provides a lot of the things you would want in a PG, good shooter, good ball handler, good passer, good defender.  He doesn't have quite the all around talent of Rondo, but certainly has just as good of value for his price.

Tony Parker is also 30, and the Spurs are a much deeper and overall better team.

Mike Conleys  are a dime a dozen, he isn't even in the same conversation as Rondo. Downgrading Rondo for Conley would make us a much worse team both now and in the future. Value for price at his talent level is not difficult to find, and Lowry isn't a whole lot better. An all-star point guard who leads the league in assists and can dominate both ends of the floor while making less money than every other all-star who isn't on their rookie contract is not easy to find.

Bargnani, are you kidding me? Westbrook is also in line for a max deal. Of course there are other good contracts out there, but find me one which is BETTER than Rondo's.
that is Westbrook's new contract.  Starts at just under 13 million next year, goes up about a million per year, while Rondo is at just over 11 million next year and goes up about a million per year.  And Westbrook is locked up longer than Rondo is.  Westbrook and Kevin Love (who has the exact same contract) have a better contract than Rondo for what they bring to the table.

Sure Conley is worse than Rondo, but no one suggested the Celtics should trade Rondo for Conley straight up.  The Celtics would be getting other pieces in the trade, draft picks and/or young players (or maybe Mayo if he would sign a reasonable long term deal).  I mean Conley and Mayo would provide more production on a similar salary as Rondo (unless Mayo is grossly overpaid). 

Westbrook's new contract is a max deal, as is Kevin's Love. Saying they have better deals than Rondo is equivalent to saying LeBron's contract is better than Rondo's because even though he makes more money he's the best player in the world. It's irrelevant, the fact is that Rondo is the most underpaid all-star in the league who isn't still on their rookie deal. We are very lucky that Danny locked him up when he did and saved us quite a bit of money over the length of the contract. Rondo outperforms many players on max deals.

Trading Rondo for a significantly inferior player plus picks makes no sense. The team who gets the best player in the trade almost always gets the best of the deal in the NBA. The only reason you trade a bonafide star/arguably superstar like Rondo is if he wants out. As long as he wants to stay in Boston on a very reasonable contract we should be happy to have him.
Westbrook signed his contract early, he could actually have made a lot more money had he waited to sign the extension.  Isn't that the same thing you are saying with Rondo?  And Lebron didn't actually sign a max deal, all three of the Heat in fact took less money to play together. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #242 on: May 23, 2012, 09:55:58 AM »

Offline Josh88

• Joe Mazzulla

Westbrook signed his contract early, he could actually have made a lot more money had he waited to sign the extension.  Isn't that the same thing you are saying with Rondo?  And Lebron didn't actually sign a max deal, all three of the Heat in fact took less money to play together. 

Dwyane Wade took a minor pay cut, as far as I understand it Bosh and LeBron have max deals. That's just untrue about Westbrook, he signed a max extension also.

Rondo signed a 5 year $55 million extension, Westbrook signed a 5 year $78 million extension. If you can't appreciate the difference between those two deals and just how much of a bargain Rondo is then I don't know what else to say. It's pointless to keep repeating myself.

« Reply #243 on: May 23, 2012, 10:28:29 AM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
I agree, the C's should trade Rondo. I was justing thinking about how they can get much worse for next season, this is the answer! Lets trade Pierce too, he is too good, lets say P Double for Maggette? That could work if you want the C's to stink next year.

« Reply #244 on: May 23, 2012, 10:29:40 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Dwyane Wade took a minor pay cut, as far as I understand it Bosh and LeBron have max deals. That's just untrue about Westbrook, he signed a max extension also.

Rondo signed a 5 year $55 million extension, Westbrook signed a 5 year $78 million extension. If you can't appreciate the difference between those two deals and just how much of a bargain Rondo is then I don't know what else to say. It's pointless to keep repeating myself.
Westbrook signed at 25%.  If he waited until this summer he could have signed at 30% (which is essentially the contract Durant signed which starts 2.5 million more in the first year and widens the gap every year thereafter).  He thus left significant dollars on the table by signing his contract when he did.  

Rondo signed the extension earlier than Wesbrook, thus the last two years of Westbrook's deal, Rondo will be on a new contract, thus you can't compare totals, but must compare year to year where Westbrook is approximately 2 million more a year for the next 3 years, and probably will be less than Rondo in years 4 and 5 (unless Rondo totally regresses).  Westbrook is thus a better value.

« Reply #245 on: May 23, 2012, 10:31:04 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I agree, the C's should trade Rondo. I was justing thinking about how they can get much worse for next season, this is the answer! Lets trade Pierce too, he is too good, lets say P Double for Maggette? That could work if you want the C's to stink next year.
The C's aren't going to be a contender next year regardless unless they can land someone using cap space in a trade (which means KG, Allen, and Green aren't back unless they sign for very low dollars).  Thus, I am all for starting the rebuilding process earlier and looking to go after multiple top tier free agents in 2013 or beyond (like Dwight).

« Reply #246 on: May 23, 2012, 10:51:42 AM »

Offline Josh88

• Joe Mazzulla

Westbrook signed at 25%.  If he waited until this summer he could have signed at 30% (which is essentially the contract Durant signed which starts 2.5 million more in the first year and widens the gap every year thereafter).  He thus left significant dollars on the table by signing his contract when he did.  

Rondo signed the extension earlier than Wesbrook, thus the last two years of Westbrook's deal, Rondo will be on a new contract, thus you can't compare totals, but must compare year to year where Westbrook is approximately 2 million more a year for the next 3 years, and probably will be less than Rondo in years 4 and 5 (unless Rondo totally regresses).  Westbrook is thus a better value.

lol ok bro.

« Reply #247 on: May 23, 2012, 11:25:02 AM »

Offline revcummings

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
I'd like to see us keep Rondo and sign D-Will to play the two guard spot with Bradley coming off the bench.  ;D

« Reply #248 on: May 23, 2012, 11:50:40 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
The C's aren't going to be a contender next year regardless unless they can land someone using cap space in a trade (which means KG, Allen, and Green aren't back unless they sign for very low dollars).  Thus, I am all for starting the rebuilding process earlier and looking to go after multiple top tier free agents in 2013 or beyond (like Dwight).

People have been saying the Celts won't be contenders next year for the last 3-4 years. Take the current team with a healthy PP and Bradley, add Jeff Green, possibly Wilcox and a pick or two, that's a contender.

« Reply #249 on: May 23, 2012, 12:22:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

People have been saying the Celts won't be contenders next year for the last 3-4 years. Take the current team with a healthy PP and Bradley, add Jeff Green, possibly Wilcox and a pick or two, that's a contender.

No they haven't, just last year and this year, and last year the team lost in the second round and won 1 game (thus not a contender).  This year injuries to other teams has certainly opened the door, but I'd still be surprised if Boston gets by Miami (even without Bosh).  I hope it happens, but it would still surprise me. 

Boston is not going to be a contender next year without major roster moves.  The team is getting older and more injured every day and that isn't going to radically improve next year without an influx of good younger talent.  It certainly could happen with some savvy trades by Ainge, but I'm not holding out hope that it will.

« Reply #250 on: May 23, 2012, 12:33:16 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

No they haven't, just last year and this year, and last year the team lost in the second round and won 1 game (thus not a contender).  This year injuries to other teams has certainly opened the door, but I'd still be surprised if Boston gets by Miami (even without Bosh).  I hope it happens, but it would still surprise me. 

Boston is not going to be a contender next year without major roster moves.  The team is getting older and more injured every day and that isn't going to radically improve next year without an influx of good younger talent.  It certainly could happen with some savvy trades by Ainge, but I'm not holding out hope that it will.

If they bring back the band (even minus Ray) next season plus a healthy Jeff Green (and given a rehabilitated Bradley) plus the first rounders, who in the East besides Miami could be considered better than the Celtics?

Chicago has a big question mark with Rose.  Indiana?  Atlanta with a healthy squad?  New York?

All big question marks.  Miami would be the only team I'd consider to be better on paper. 

If you're playing in the conference finals with a trip to the NBA Finals on the line, you're a contender in my book.  And they could still potentially have roster flexibility for summer of 2013. It would just be a matter of reloading the right way and getting some of these rookies to pan out.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #251 on: May 23, 2012, 12:46:41 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

If they bring back the band (even minus Ray) next season plus a healthy Jeff Green (and given a rehabilitated Bradley) plus the first rounders, who in the East besides Miami could be considered better than the Celtics?

Chicago has a big question mark with Rose.  Indiana?  Atlanta with a healthy squad?  New York?

All big question marks.  Miami would be the only team I'd consider to be better on paper. 

If you're playing in the conference finals with a trip to the NBA Finals on the line, you're a contender in my book.  And they could still potentially have roster flexibility for summer of 2013. It would just be a matter of reloading the right way and getting some of these rookies to pan out.
Obviously it depends on what happens, but I would put Indiana, Chicago, and Atlanta ahead of Boston, New York, Philadelphia, and Orlando (if they keep Dwight) all could be as well.  That doesn't say contender to me, especially given Pierce and KG are old and injured a lot.

« Reply #252 on: May 23, 2012, 01:34:31 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
The Celtics don't need to do anything with Rondo this summer. We are in a good position going forward and don't need to make a move just because we can. Looking at some of the trades floating about in this thread I can only assume people just want to make a trade.

The purpose of trading Rondo isn't to trade Rondo it is to make the team better preferably in the long run. So making lateral moves or downgrading to players who can't match Rondo's production makes no sense. Neither does trading him for picks that need time to develop into the player he is today. If they ever become as good. Why would we willing become a bad team just so we can gamble on the hopes that down the line we can build a contender through the lottery? That process takes times and hardly ever works.

Sometimes I wish the trade checker make people take a pop quiz on how feasible a trade is in reality and write a short essay on the benefits to both sides before spitting out the results. 
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #253 on: May 23, 2012, 03:11:35 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Why would we willing become a bad team just so we can gamble on the hopes that down the line we can build a contender through the lottery? That process takes times and hardly ever works.
You have to think the pick will be a superstar level player, a higher level player than Rondo.

The example of this sort of move is the long reported on Pierce for Van Excel and a pick that would have been CP3 if Danny had made it.

« Reply #254 on: May 23, 2012, 03:21:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
The Celtics don't need to do anything with Rondo this summer. We are in a good position going forward and don't need to make a move just because we can. Looking at some of the trades floating about in this thread I can only assume people just want to make a trade.

The purpose of trading Rondo isn't to trade Rondo it is to make the team better preferably in the long run. So making lateral moves or downgrading to players who can't match Rondo's production makes no sense. Neither does trading him for picks that need time to develop into the player he is today. If they ever become as good. Why would we willing become a bad team just so we can gamble on the hopes that down the line we can build a contender through the lottery? That process takes times and hardly ever works.

Sometimes I wish the trade checker make people take a pop quiz on how feasible a trade is in reality and write a short essay on the benefits to both sides before spitting out the results.  
I'd rather be really bad for a season or two and collect high quality assets then barely make the playoffs and lose in the first or second round, which is what I believe this team is headed towards without making significant moves.  
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 03:32:39 PM by Moranis »