Author Topic: Celtics need to trade Rondo this summer  (Read 83560 times)

Re: Celtics need to trade Rondo this summer
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2012, 06:08:55 PM »

Offline ChefEricT

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 16
He is far too immature and emotional to take this team where it needs to go in the post big 3 era.  He is incredibly talented, but his attitude will always hold him back.  He can't be the man on a title or team and I question whether he can really even be the 2nd or 3rd man on a title team, because he just isn't reliable or consistent as a result of the attitude.  I've had these concerns for awhile, but last night really crystalized it for me.  You can't get a technical in that spot, nonetheless two technicals, an ejection, and a likely a suspension.  It is unacceptable and should never be tolerated.  But that is just Rondo.  It is the way he always is and the way he will always be.  The emotion certainly is beneficial at times, but it is a negative far too often.  It is time to move on from Rajon Rondo and his attitude.

I would like to trade you.  Maybe I can send you to Toronto for a Raptor fan to be named later.
Mock Deadline Denver Nuggets
Nurcic/Henson
Patterson/Bennett/Arthur
Ross/Budinger
Miller/Hunter/Foye
Rubio/Ennis/Bayless

« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2012, 06:10:41 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I just dont' see the point of getting rid of a 25 year old all-star when you're trying to rebuild.

You want to have 25 year old all-stars on your team when you're assembling a new core to your team. Getting rid of him for the sake of draft position is just hitting the reset button because you lack the vision to try something else.
One 25 year old all star (who isn't a top five player in the game) is going to make your team good enough to just make the playoffs or just miss the playoffs.  That isn't a good place to be when you are trying to rebuild.  You won't be bad enough to get the truly elite draft assets and likewise won't be good enough to draw elite level players to your team.  You end up with overpriced role players in free agency.  
We've been over this before and I'm still not convinced.

If Rondo is as limited as you seem to think I fail to see why we won't be bad enough to get decent picks anyways. If the very picks you seem to think are the foundation would produce a player as good as Rondo is right now we'd be estatic. So why throw away a player in hand outright?

The Kings, Warriors, Bobcats, Clippers, etc. were all repeat lottery bound teams that basically never got anywhere. Better to try and build with Rondo than just punt and say to the fan base "Sorry we're going to dump a 25 year old high level player so we can be as terrible as possible for four years."

This isn't dumping Gerald Wallace and Stephen Jackson, or dumping Camby and Wallace again, etc..

faulty logic is never convincing.  The whole "not bad enough to get us x...."  "but just good enough to not get us y...."    line of GM philosophizing should be put out to pasture......soon.

Edit:  Just be more direct and say you (Moranis) are not a fan of Rondo's package and would prefer a PG who shoots jump shots better.  Done.  No need for convolution.

actually I could care less what type of PG we have.  Historically, unless you are Magic Johnson or Isiah Thomas, the PG doesn't matter.  When guys like Derek Fisher, Ron Harper, Steve Kerr, etc. are multiple time title winners it shows you don't really need much from the PG other than some timely shooting and timely defense.  Nothing else really matters from a historical perspective. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2012, 06:10:59 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
He is far too immature and emotional to take this team where it needs to go in the post big 3 era.  He is incredibly talented, but his attitude will always hold him back.  He can't be the man on a title or team and I question whether he can really even be the 2nd or 3rd man on a title team, because he just isn't reliable or consistent as a result of the attitude.  I've had these concerns for awhile, but last night really crystalized it for me.  You can't get a technical in that spot, nonetheless two technicals, an ejection, and a likely a suspension.  It is unacceptable and should never be tolerated.  But that is just Rondo.  It is the way he always is and the way he will always be.  The emotion certainly is beneficial at times, but it is a negative far too often.  It is time to move on from Rajon Rondo and his attitude.

I would like to trade you.  Maybe I can send you to Toronto for a Raptor fan to be named later.

TP :)

*Sigh* ::) @ trading rondo

« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2012, 06:15:01 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

This was worthy of a TP.  Call me crazy but I like having a guy that cares like Rondo.

« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2012, 06:16:05 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I am not opposed to trading anyone if the right deal is there, however, last night's antics don't push me anywhere near the edge re: Rondo.  Sorry to say, but he is still a little young and learning.   This is a smart guy who is crazy talented and who will VERY likely attain more maturity (as most do between 26 and 32) as he ages. 
I don't want him growing up somewhere else!!

« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2012, 08:43:40 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
That isn't a good place to be when you are trying to rebuild.  You won't be bad enough to get the truly elite draft assets and likewise won't be good enough to draw elite level players to your team.  You end up with overpriced role players in free agency.

You don't if you refuse to sign players to those kind of contracts.  Teams like Sacramento and Denver are horribly run because they keep signing players to long mid-level contracts.

"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2012, 10:06:24 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I think we've seen pretty clearly that the league doesn't value Rondo, not highly enough for Ainge and nowhere near the pedestal of infallibility he occupies on this blog with some of you.

Would I move him in a deal good for the Celtics? Sure would.

Can the Celtics move him in a good deal that would help the club? Obviously not, and his petulance last night is only going to devalue him further around the league.

Probably not much else to do than keep up the "When will Rondo ever grow up?" vigil.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2012, 10:23:19 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Yup, just like we should have traded Pierce immediately after game 6 in 2005.

http://www.nba.com/games/20050505/BOSIND/recap.html

Guy could never lead the team anywhere, did you see the ridiculous press conference? Keeping that immature player has killed the franchise for the last 7 years.

wrong - Pierce grew up because of Kevin Garnett (and probably Ray Allen helped as well).

i was through with Pierce after that Game 6 in '05 along with the subsequent Game 7 No-Show Embarrassment he led the Celtics through in that series vs Indiana.

Kevin Garnett is THE reason for #17 and the 5-year run we have enjoyed since he came to Boston.

Regarding Rondo - his emotion is part of what makes him great. you can't ask him to play his guts out with one arm one year and then crucify him for the same emotion the next year. it's part of the package (sometimes unfortunately).
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2012, 10:33:18 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
rondos emotions will lose us important games
the playoffs is a terrible time to get emotional

suck it up rondo and playball and cry after the game

« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2012, 10:36:38 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

TP. This will make my day tonight.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2012, 10:39:54 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
rondos emotions will lose us important games
the playoffs is a terrible time to get emotional

suck it up rondo and playball and cry after the game

Rondo's emotion shows you how he wants this team to win.

Yes he got to emotional but can you blame him when most of the calls from last night were blatantly one sided, where in the game is within reach?

I'm not condoning what he did, but cmon man, give the dude a break. He was the best player last night, and he showed us (albeit he went to far) his desire to win.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2012, 10:55:51 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Rondo and Josh Smith together needs to happen. I think that will be our team in 2 years.

No way we trade him.

« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2012, 10:57:25 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Disagree with topic. Celtics must keep Rondo. A lot of guys in the NBA don't care. Our PG does.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2012, 11:07:31 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Oh no we lost a playoff game!

Trade Rondo for Orien Greene and a pick!

Burn down the TD Garden!

Change the team name to the New England Gray Squirrels!

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2012, 11:08:54 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Oi, don't mess with the squirrels. ;D
I moved the cheese.