Author Topic: Celtics need to trade Rondo this summer  (Read 83634 times)

Re: Celtics need to trade Rondo this summer
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2012, 03:03:39 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I just dont' see the point of getting rid of a 25 year old all-star when you're trying to rebuild.

You want to have 25 year old all-stars on your team when you're assembling a new core to your team. Getting rid of him for the sake of draft position is just hitting the reset button because you lack the vision to try something else.
One 25 year old all star (who isn't a top five player in the game) is going to make your team good enough to just make the playoffs or just miss the playoffs.  That isn't a good place to be when you are trying to rebuild.  You won't be bad enough to get the truly elite draft assets and likewise won't be good enough to draw elite level players to your team.  You end up with overpriced role players in free agency. 
We've been over this before and I'm still not convinced.

If Rondo is as limited as you seem to think I fail to see why we won't be bad enough to get decent picks anyways. If the very picks you seem to think are the foundation would produce a player as good as Rondo is right now we'd be estatic. So why throw away a player in hand outright?

The Kings, Warriors, Bobcats, Clippers, etc. were all repeat lottery bound teams that basically never got anywhere. Better to try and build with Rondo than just punt and say to the fan base "Sorry we're going to dump a 25 year old high level player so we can be as terrible as possible for four years."

This isn't dumping Gerald Wallace and Stephen Jackson, or dumping Camby and Wallace again, etc..

« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2012, 03:09:09 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
   Rondo is a superstar who can carry a franchise by himself.  People who are still talking about him like it's 2008 have to start looking at what he's doing.  Hilarious that people think Rondo can't take us to a championship by himself, but Deron Williams (um.. New Jersey?)or Chris Paul (New Orleans?) can. He was the best player on the floor yesterday and he was playing with Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Joe Johnson and Josh Smith.
The names Rondo's performances have drawn comparisons to this year? Magic Johnson, Oscar Robertson, Wilt Chamberlin and John Stockton.
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2012, 03:15:19 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
  Rondo is a superstar who can carry a franchise by himself.  People who are still talking about him like it's 2008 have to start looking at what he's doing.  Hilarious that people think Rondo can't take us to a championship by himself, but Deron Williams (um.. New Jersey?)or Chris Paul (New Orleans?) can. He was the best player on the floor yesterday and he was playing with Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Joe Johnson and Josh Smith.
The names Rondo's performances have drawn comparisons to this year? Magic Johnson, Oscar Robertson, Wilt Chamberlin and John Stockton.

I don't think he can but I don't want to trade him, either.

He's an excellent complementary piece.  You get a couple of guys to go around him that complement his game and you have yourself a pretty solid core. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2012, 03:19:12 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Thank you, Emperor.

« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2012, 03:20:27 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I just dont' see the point of getting rid of a 25 year old all-star when you're trying to rebuild.

You want to have 25 year old all-stars on your team when you're assembling a new core to your team. Getting rid of him for the sake of draft position is just hitting the reset button because you lack the vision to try something else.
One 25 year old all star (who isn't a top five player in the game) is going to make your team good enough to just make the playoffs or just miss the playoffs.  That isn't a good place to be when you are trying to rebuild.  You won't be bad enough to get the truly elite draft assets and likewise won't be good enough to draw elite level players to your team.  You end up with overpriced role players in free agency. 

If Rondo is as limited as you seem to think I fail to see why we won't be bad enough to get decent picks anyways. If the very picks you seem to think are the foundation would produce a player as good as Rondo is right now we'd be estatic. So why throw away a player in hand outright?

The Kings, Warriors, Bobcats, Clippers, etc. were all repeat lottery bound teams that basically never got anywhere. Better to try and build with Rondo than just punt and say to the fan base "Sorry we're going to dump a 25 year old high level player so we can be as terrible as possible for four years."

This isn't dumping Gerald Wallace and Stephen Jackson, or dumping Camby and Wallace again, etc..
Rondo is a good player, he is just inconsistent, but when he is on he is a great player.

As for the rest if you are truly bad it is rare you are going to get an elite talent from day 1 (the only 3 that fit that bill in the last 20 years or so are Lebron, Shaq and Duncan and the first two teams were in the lottery again after), thus you will be in a position to collect three or four very good players while they develop and can form the core of your next contending team.  If you draft well, you should get at least two (and really should get three) players worth building around.  

A guy like Rondo will keep the Celtics as a 30 win team, which means they would have to get very lucky in the lottery, to get a top three talent.  If the Celtics move Rondo,  they will likely get a lottery pick or a recent lottery pick (plus the two picks in the 20's).  In addition, that team will be pretty bad and will get a very high pick in the 2013 draft and will have a ton of cap space where they might be able to draw two top tier talents to pair with the two lottery picks.  I just don't see Rondo as being enough to draw another star, whereas two high end players and the room for two top tier free agents, might be a draw.  
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2012, 03:35:33 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Unless it's equal value, no thanks.

You said we should rebuild, why can't we rebuild with him? He doesn't have to be the main piece, he can just be one of them. We have cap space, two first rounders this year. We can start of on that. Id rather rebuild slowly with Rondo and be competitive than suck for a few years just so we can get draft picks that we may or may not know, will pan out for us.

Celtics should not trade him for anything less than his value. With his level of production and his reasonable contract, i'd rather ride along with his attitude problems which is not cancerous in any way than trade him for less.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2012, 03:42:10 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

One 25 year old all star (who isn't a top five player in the game) is going to make your team good enough to just make the playoffs or just miss the playoffs.  That isn't a good place to be when you are trying to rebuild.  You won't be bad enough to get the truly elite draft assets and likewise won't be good enough to draw elite level players to your team.  You end up with overpriced role players in free agency.  

faulty logic is never convincing.  The whole "not bad enough to get us x...."  "but just good enough to not get us y...."    line of GM philosophizing should be put out to pasture......soon.

Edit:  Just be more direct and say you (Moranis) are not a fan of Rondo's package and would prefer a PG who shoots jump shots better.  Done.  No need for convolution.

« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2012, 04:08:58 PM »

Offline thestackshow

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 112
I like what Rondo did last night, it shows passion and fire, something nobody but him had last night, where the heck was our franchise player Paul Pierce? I didnt even know he played last night, what the heck happened.
[img width= height=]http://oi43.tinypic.com/2afde6p.jpg[/img]

« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2012, 04:14:44 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

No they don't

« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2012, 04:24:16 PM »

Offline LeoMoreno

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11
Oh NOT THIS AGAIN

« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2012, 04:29:07 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

No they don't

+1

Rondo doesn't ever 'need' to be traded. If you are not getting an all NBA, all star lock player in return, there is no reason to trade Rondo. I love his passion. Even Bird, Pierce, etc made mistakes were their passion went too far.

« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2012, 04:59:19 PM »

Offline KY Celts fan

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
Oh NOT THIS AGAIN

my thoughts exactly. all it took was one incident for all the Rondo haters to start flooding the internet again, even though he has been sensational the past few months and was carrying this team last night.

« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2012, 05:02:11 PM »

Offline Lord of Mikawa

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 66
  • Anti-Lakers&Anti-Heat
Trading Rondo will destroy this time for the next five to seven years.
Signed to a 6 year $0 contract with the Celtics Blog forum!

« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2012, 05:28:30 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If we win this series, this trade value topic will be totally forgotten. Then we would move on to a Rose-less Bulls team where Rondo could really dominate.

I know there are some big 'ifs' in this series, but the Celtics have played incredibly well lately and really have no reason not to win this series. The Hawks don't have [who is essentially] their best player in Horford. I am not even going to worry about it unless we lose game 2.

Get some rest Rondo, you're still the best in my mind.

« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2012, 05:40:32 PM »

Offline toneskeet

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
Sometimes I wonder if Danny never pursued CP3, would all the anti Rondo people still want him traded. it may be just me but I didn't hear many people calling for Rondo to be traded after we were eliminated last year.