Author Topic: Celtics need to trade Rondo this summer  (Read 83640 times)

Re: Celtics need to trade Rondo this summer
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 10:18:57 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I don't think we should trade him unless for a superstar and I don't think that really lowers his trade value especially after the season he had.

KG got suspended in playoffs 2 years ago Pierce got ejected in playoffs last year don't think that lowered their trade value.

Rondo isn't really a hot head. I think Gms are more concerned about him bringing his game night in and night out rather than a couple of these incidents. Id be surprised if a gm shied away because of something like this. I know id be ticked at Danny if he the shying away because of something like thay

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 10:44:36 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The good Rondo brings is a lot more than the bad.  His two techs and ejection ended any hope we had last night, but without Rondo we wouldn't have closed the gap in the first place.

I agree that bumping a ref is unacceptable.  At the same time, who are you going to trade him for that can bring even 85% of what he does?
I'd move him for draft picks and start over.  I don't think he can be a player to build around.  As a small guard his building around opportunities are already limited, but as a small guard with an attitude problem that historically takes long stretches off and is incredibly inconsistent, winning isn't sustainable with him.  

Next season Boston should just flat out tank and get as many pieces as they can to use in the draft or otherwise.  

Trade Rondo to a team like Phoenix, Utah, Portland, etc. and pick up a lottery pick.  Or maybe you pick up Evans from Sacramento for him (or something like that).  Jack, Henry, and the worst lottery pick of New Orleans for Rondo works.  

There are plenty of trades out there, where the Celtics, while not getting 100 cents on the dollar, won't get 50 cents on the dollar either.  

Here's the thing if we tank, first off we need to let KG and Allen go.  Second youre probably trading Pierce and Rondo.  That's going to create a lot of cap space, but I believe you need to spend a minimum amount, you can't just hold that cap space.  So if we did that, we'd probably end up having to give a few bad contracts out to fill that space which may end up hurting us more. 
You can sign players to one year contracts.  Give Jeff Green 1 year, 6 million (or whatever, and other moves like that).  You don't have to sign guys to gigantic long term contracts to reach the minimum.  One year deals are fine and if guys work out, just bring them back the next year.  You can also take flyers on guys like Greg Oden.

I wouldn't bring back Allen or Garnett regardless (and frankly I don't think they come back as if they play it will be on a contender, something Boston is not).  I'd have no issue trading Pierce, though he may retire anyway. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 10:56:46 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Yup, just like we should have traded Pierce immediately after game 6 in 2005.

http://www.nba.com/games/20050505/BOSIND/recap.html

Guy could never lead the team anywhere, did you see the ridiculous press conference? Keeping that immature player has killed the franchise for the last 7 years.

Don't forget the noted diva Kobe Bryant. You just can't win games with people who behave like that.

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 10:59:57 AM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
Is it wrong to consider this topic borderline trolling, if not full-fledged?

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 11:04:57 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yes, it would be wrong.

Moranis has held the opinion we need to trade Rondo to move on with a rebuild for quite some time. I can't blame him for finding further reason for his previously held thoughts in this awful outburst of immaturity.

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 11:06:20 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yup, just like we should have traded Pierce immediately after game 6 in 2005.

http://www.nba.com/games/20050505/BOSIND/recap.html

Guy could never lead the team anywhere, did you see the ridiculous press conference? Keeping that immature player has killed the franchise for the last 7 years.

Don't forget the noted diva Kobe Bryant. You just can't win games with people who behave like that.

Or Bynum, Howard, etc..

Talent trumps this sort of outburst in the end, I think this is more a matter of how Moranis views Rondos talent than his attitude.

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 11:12:03 AM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
The good Rondo brings is a lot more than the bad.  His two techs and ejection ended any hope we had last night, but without Rondo we wouldn't have closed the gap in the first place.

I agree that bumping a ref is unacceptable.  At the same time, who are you going to trade him for that can bring even 85% of what he does?
I'd move him for draft picks and start over.  I don't think he can be a player to build around.  As a small guard his building around opportunities are already limited, but as a small guard with an attitude problem that historically takes long stretches off and is incredibly inconsistent, winning isn't sustainable with him.  

Next season Boston should just flat out tank and get as many pieces as they can to use in the draft or otherwise.  

Trade Rondo to a team like Phoenix, Utah, Portland, etc. and pick up a lottery pick.  Or maybe you pick up Evans from Sacramento for him (or something like that).  Jack, Henry, and the worst lottery pick of New Orleans for Rondo works.  

There are plenty of trades out there, where the Celtics, while not getting 100 cents on the dollar, won't get 50 cents on the dollar either.  

What about Dragic a first rounder and pieces? Personally i'd stay far far away from Evans. When you have a team like the Kings who is actually considering Terrence Williams as a suitable replacement for the guy you know there's gotta be some major issues behind the scenes.

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 11:12:25 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
He is far too immature and emotional to take this team where it needs to go in the post big 3 era.  He is incredibly talented, but his attitude will always hold him back.  He can't be the man on a title or team and I question whether he can really even be the 2nd or 3rd man on a title team, because he just isn't reliable or consistent as a result of the attitude.  I've had these concerns for awhile, but last night really crystalized it for me.  You can't get a technical in that spot, nonetheless two technicals, an ejection, and a likely a suspension.  It is unacceptable and should never be tolerated.  But that is just Rondo.  It is the way he always is and the way he will always be.  The emotion certainly is beneficial at times, but it is a negative far too often.  It is time to move on from Rajon Rondo and his attitude.
::)

please.   he's the only starter that showed up to play last night.  He's finally at the level of consistency we've been waiting for.  He's not going anywhere.  His behavior, while foolish even if it was in the heat of the moment, is no worse than other players who've had a moment of stupidity in the game.

If anything, he should have pulled that bump on KG, PP or Bass for not showing up to play last night. 

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 11:12:59 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Rondo should only be traded for good value and if there's a way to get Deron in here, you've got to trade Rondo.

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 11:14:07 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This is a bad time to trade him.  That performance that got him tossed lowers his trade value. 

yea what he did last night totally wipes out his 25+ game streak of 10 assists or more, and being able to dominate a game without having to score.  ::)

Yes.  Guys that blow up and lose playoff games for their teams lose trade value. 

Especially when teams think the team want to get rid of him. 

Here's the honest truth...GMs in this league do not place value on a player based on one game unless that game is The Brawl at the Palace.

Thinking Rondo's trade value decreased because he bumped a ref is ridiculous and absurd.

What lowers Rondo's trade value is his at times lack of effort on defense, his horrid free throw shooting, and his lack of an ability to hit outside shots consistently every game.

But bumping a ref in one game is not going to change his value in ANY GM's mind in this league.

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 11:20:28 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
This is a bad time to trade him.  That performance that got him tossed lowers his trade value. 

yea what he did last night totally wipes out his 25+ game streak of 10 assists or more, and being able to dominate a game without having to score.  ::)

Yes.  Guys that blow up and lose playoff games for their teams lose trade value. 

Here's the honest truth...GMs in this league do not place value on a player based on one game unless that game is The Brawl at the Palace.

Thinking Rondo's trade value decreased because he bumped a ref is ridiculous and absurd.

What lowers Rondo's trade value is his at times lack of effort on defense, his horrid free throw shooting, and his lack of an ability to hit outside shots consistently every game.

But bumping a ref in one game is not going to change his value in ANY GM's mind in this league.

The fact that the coaches and GMs by and large consider Rondo to be one of the best defensive pgs in the game would imply that his effort on defense does a lot more to raise his trade value than lower it.

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 11:23:06 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Change his value, no.

Change how much teams will offer, yes.

For all the good things Rondo did last night, it became meaningless the moment he decided to get two technical fouls at the end of the 4th quarter.  

He gave the team ahead extra FTs.

He took himself out of the game.

He threw away the Celtics comeback because he couldn't keep his emotions in hand with the official.

The Celtics will not get even talent value for Rondo.  

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 11:24:41 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think we should trade this tread instead.  Typical overreaction.
SMH...

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2012, 11:27:41 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

It was my first thought when seeing this thread.

It may not be the case, but it is definitely way out there.

I guess it par for the course though, there have been numerous over the top threads popping up ever since this happend last night.

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2012, 11:46:35 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I wouldn't.   

What could you get for him right now that would be an equal return?  My guess is that you're gonna get a return that is something along the lines of 50 cents or 75 cents on the dollar?

No thanks.  Perhaps you trade him down the road but I'm not doing it this summer and certainly not after this incident.  Its a kneejerk reaction, IMO.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team