Author Topic: Celtics need to trade Rondo this summer  (Read 83584 times)

Celtics need to trade Rondo this summer
« on: April 30, 2012, 09:27:09 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
He is far too immature and emotional to take this team where it needs to go in the post big 3 era.  He is incredibly talented, but his attitude will always hold him back.  He can't be the man on a title or team and I question whether he can really even be the 2nd or 3rd man on a title team, because he just isn't reliable or consistent as a result of the attitude.  I've had these concerns for awhile, but last night really crystalized it for me.  You can't get a technical in that spot, nonetheless two technicals, an ejection, and a likely a suspension.  It is unacceptable and should never be tolerated.  But that is just Rondo.  It is the way he always is and the way he will always be.  The emotion certainly is beneficial at times, but it is a negative far too often.  It is time to move on from Rajon Rondo and his attitude.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Celtics need to trade Rondo this summer
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 09:30:26 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yup, just like we should have traded Pierce immediately after game 6 in 2005.

http://www.nba.com/games/20050505/BOSIND/recap.html

Guy could never lead the team anywhere, did you see the ridiculous press conference? Keeping that immature player has killed the franchise for the last 7 years.

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 09:36:44 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The good Rondo brings is a lot more than the bad.  His two techs and ejection ended any hope we had last night, but without Rondo we wouldn't have closed the gap in the first place.

I agree that bumping a ref is unacceptable.  At the same time, who are you going to trade him for that can bring even 85% of what he does?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 09:38:37 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Yup, just like we should have traded Pierce immediately after game 6 in 2005.

http://www.nba.com/games/20050505/BOSIND/recap.html

Guy could never lead the team anywhere, did you see the ridiculous press conference? Keeping that immature player has killed the franchise for the last 7 years.

tp

Rondo was p---ed from the play before where Josh Smith clearly tipped the ball out right in front of the same Ref who then called a bail out foul on Bass. No doubt Rondo lost his cool, but you can't say you wouldn't do the same thing in a game where you were down 19 in the 3rd and cut it down 4. Those were 2 horrible calls thathappened right in front of Rondo and the ref.

PP has acted just as immature throughout his career . Some people on here just want to trade Rondo because he is not cp3. Rondo is as good as it gets after cp3 and is signed on a great contract. You don't trade a top 25 players unless you are getting a great draft pick or top 20 player back.

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 09:40:03 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This is a bad time to trade him.  That performance that got him tossed lowers his trade value. 

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 09:41:36 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
This is a bad time to trade him.  That performance that got him tossed lowers his trade value.  

yea what he did last night totally wipes out his 25+ game streak of 10 assists or more, and being able to dominate a game without having to score and getting everyone on the team involved in the offense.  ::)

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 09:43:20 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This is a bad time to trade him.  That performance that got him tossed lowers his trade value. 

yea what he did last night totally wipes out his 25+ game streak of 10 assists or more, and being able to dominate a game without having to score.  ::)

Yes.  Guys that blow up and lose playoff games for their teams lose trade value. 

Especially when teams think the team want to get rid of him. 

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 09:44:56 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
the celtics should never trade Rondo. He is a true celtic and a great competitor. Watch the old celtics in playoff games, they were much worse than Rondo in yelling at refs and fighting. The thought of trading him for this is absurd.

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 09:45:45 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The good Rondo brings is a lot more than the bad.  His two techs and ejection ended any hope we had last night, but without Rondo we wouldn't have closed the gap in the first place.

I agree that bumping a ref is unacceptable.  At the same time, who are you going to trade him for that can bring even 85% of what he does?
+1

Beyond the sarcasm trading Rondo immediately only makes sense if you want to be the Bobcats and pray you get the ping pong balls to go your way a year where a franchise guy is coming out. (instead of Bogut/Bargs/Martin/etc...)

Depending on how the playoffs turn out the market for him is going to be depressed, and we'd be getting less value that what he brings on the court. You have to hope he figures things out, other players have before. (and even more haven't)

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 09:50:07 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

yea what he did last night totally wipes out his 25+ game streak of 10 assists or more, and being able to dominate a game without having to score.  ::)

Yes.  Guys that blow up and lose playoff games for their teams lose trade value. 

Especially when teams think the team want to get rid of him. 

Rondo was the only player who showed up last night. Dumb move that lowers his trade value. Possibly. But to say that he lose this game for us is ridiculous.

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 09:52:33 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30

That's the problem.  Trading him for Chris Paul made sense, but I'm not sure if you could really get a stud PG back for Rondo.  You may be able to do something with like Denver getting a package involving Ty Lawson and someone like Kenneth Faried, but I'm not really sure that equals Rondo's value.
do it

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 09:58:09 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Celtics need to trade Rondo, when they can get great value for him.  If that's this summer, great, if not, then bide your time.  The C's need assets for their rebuilding/reloading, so it will do them no good to trade their best asset for 50 cents on the dollar, just because he has issues, just like 50% of the league.

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 09:58:48 AM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

Roy is spot on here. Plus didn't we learn this very year that there are no takers who are willing to give us anything near similar value for the kid?

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 10:05:10 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I'd move him for draft picks and start over.  I don't think he can be a player to build around.  As a small guard his building around opportunities are already limited, but as a small guard with an attitude problem that historically takes long stretches off and is incredibly inconsistent, winning isn't sustainable with him.  

Next season Boston should just flat out tank and get as many pieces as they can to use in the draft or otherwise.  

Trade Rondo to a team like Phoenix, Utah, Portland, etc. and pick up a lottery pick.  Or maybe you pick up Evans from Sacramento for him (or something like that).  Jack, Henry, and the worst lottery pick of New Orleans for Rondo works.  

There are plenty of trades out there, where the Celtics, while not getting 100 cents on the dollar, won't get 50 cents on the dollar either.  
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 10:10:08 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30

I'd move him for draft picks and start over.  I don't think he can be a player to build around.  As a small guard his building around opportunities are already limited, but as a small guard with an attitude problem that historically takes long stretches off and is incredibly inconsistent, winning isn't sustainable with him.  

Next season Boston should just flat out tank and get as many pieces as they can to use in the draft or otherwise.  

Trade Rondo to a team like Phoenix, Utah, Portland, etc. and pick up a lottery pick.  Or maybe you pick up Evans from Sacramento for him (or something like that).  Jack, Henry, and the worst lottery pick of New Orleans for Rondo works.  

There are plenty of trades out there, where the Celtics, while not getting 100 cents on the dollar, won't get 50 cents on the dollar either.  

Here's the thing if we tank, first off we need to let KG and Allen go.  Second youre probably trading Pierce and Rondo.  That's going to create a lot of cap space, but I believe you need to spend a minimum amount, you can't just hold that cap space.  So if we did that, we'd probably end up having to give a few bad contracts out to fill that space which may end up hurting us more. 
do it