Author Topic: Why is Rose playing with the game decided? (ACL torn)  (Read 21112 times)

Re: Why is Rose playing with the game decided? (ACL torn)
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2012, 01:37:34 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Is this more because Deng is a having a career year, the team is too good or because CJ Watson is showing up?

« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2012, 02:24:42 AM »

Offline Senninsage

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112
Rondo would get his way and play too, with 9 - 9 - 20, or whatever Rose had.

Not if Rondo had battled with a ton of injuries that threatened his availability for what is practically the majority of the season.

« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2012, 02:26:29 AM »

Kiorrik

Not if Rondo had battled with a ton of injuries that threatened his availability for what is practically the majority of the season.
Meh, if it was up to him, he'd play.

« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2012, 06:30:29 AM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

Meh, if it was up to him, he'd play.

But he wouldn't be driving (and jump stopping) that hard.

« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2012, 06:41:20 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Did it happen here? Who knows. But I have to think that playing pro athletes in an extended condensed schedule is only mathematically more likely to cause injuries than for the chances to remain the same or become less.

I'm not saying it is not possible, but Jalen Rose took directly to twitter and effectively blamed the owners for the injuries to D Rose, Shumpert, Linn, Billups, Howard, etc. That's B.S.  I mean Billups is in his mid 30's - guys that old tear tendons when they play sports.  Granted this is Jalen Rose we are talking about, and he is full of "it" to the brim, but still that statement is total BS.

Pro athletes are in great shape, better than almost everyone else, but they are still human.  Their bones and tendons will respond the same way yours or mine will when we put them in positions of stress.  Derrick Rose cannot expect to do the kind of explosive moves he does, his whole career, and not have some kind of significant injury.  No amount of weight lifting or genetic makeup will prevent that.

Same thing could be said for Jeremy Lin, he plays out of control.  It is not a surprise that he had a chronic meniscus tear.

Not saying it is not possible the hectic season contributed (it certainly didn't help, we can say that), but Rose's injury was because of his move, not the schedule this year.

« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2012, 06:48:02 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
And just as I finished my prior post and went to ESPN, I find this gem by another serial conspiracy hack:  Michael "Boston is a racist town" Wilbon

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/7868860/chicago-bulls-guard-derrick-rose-injury-caused-overloaded-schedule

Really?  Am I the only one that saw D Rose take a 36-inch leap into the air on a jumpstop while trying to then pivot on the way down and launch laterally back the opposite direction towards the basket for a shot?  That had NOTHING to do with blowing out his ACL?

I know there are some data guys like me on this board, but I think it would be a great idea to look at, say, the last 15 years of NBA seasons and run the numbers on ACL tears per games/minutes played, to see if this season is any different than others.

« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2012, 11:19:27 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
So after the Clippers game last night does anyone see Thibs' decision differently?  That game was "decided" for quite awhile, until it wasn't.

« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2012, 12:05:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So after the Clippers game last night does anyone see Thibs' decision differently?  That game was "decided" for quite awhile, until it wasn't.
As was the Celtics game until Marc Davis decided it.

« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2012, 02:42:19 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

Did it happen here? Who knows. But I have to think that playing pro athletes in an extended condensed schedule is only mathematically more likely to cause injuries than for the chances to remain the same or become less.

I'm not saying it is not possible, but Jalen Rose took directly to twitter and effectively blamed the owners for the injuries to D Rose, Shumpert, Linn, Billups, Howard, etc. That's B.S.  I mean Billups is in his mid 30's - guys that old tear tendons when they play sports.  Granted this is Jalen Rose we are talking about, and he is full of "it" to the brim, but still that statement is total BS.

Pro athletes are in great shape, better than almost everyone else, but they are still human.  Their bones and tendons will respond the same way yours or mine will when we put them in positions of stress.  Derrick Rose cannot expect to do the kind of explosive moves he does, his whole career, and not have some kind of significant injury.  No amount of weight lifting or genetic makeup will prevent that.

Same thing could be said for Jeremy Lin, he plays out of control.  It is not a surprise that he had a chronic meniscus tear.

Not saying it is not possible the hectic season contributed (it certainly didn't help, we can say that), but Rose's injury was because of his move, not the schedule this year.

Jalen Rose is the same idiot who screamed racism because Duke chose Grant Hill. 

Apparently the players have no culpability here, Jalen....It's not like the players signed off on this schedule....

Oh, wait a minute, Jalen. They did.

« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2012, 02:59:22 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
As was the Celtics game until Marc Davis decided it.

Respectfully, Nick...We weren't winning that game.  That one call decided nothing.  As much as I despise NBA officiating....They did a decent job last night sans that call.

That we could be that flat and be in the game at all speaks to what team is better.  We'll sweep the next 4 games.

Re: Why is Rose playing with the game decided?
« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2012, 03:45:14 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
Rose does play like an idiot kinda though. Why is he attacking the the basket bullying his way through when they are up like that.

One of the underrated things that Rondo does is playing when he is banged up. Doesn't overexert himself, plays within his injury

Good point but that's also Rondo's achillies heal, no? Rondo has different gears and different speeds, whereas Rose just has one gear and one speed.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland