Author Topic: Why is Rose playing with the game decided? (ACL torn)  (Read 21107 times)

Re: Why is Rose playing with the game decided? (ACL torn)
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2012, 10:07:02 PM »

Offline thestackshow

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 112
1:22 to go, a 12 point lead in a playoff game, I don't know of any coach who would sit his players during those circumstances. You can argue that Rose should've come off sooner, but I figure if it got as close as 12 points, he would've been inserted anyways, so the point is fairly moot.

yea, you cant blame the coach on this one, Rose body has been breaking down all season, this was going to happen either way.
[img width= height=]http://oi43.tinypic.com/2afde6p.jpg[/img]

« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2012, 10:10:18 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

I will say this though, I blame this less on him being out there in meaningless minutes trying to pad his stats and more on the corrupted season that the powers that be forced upon this game this year.

Back-to-back-to-backs. 5 games in six days. 7 games in 9 days. 66 games in the time the league usually plays 44 games. Its no wonder some teams fell apart in the second half of the season and some young players who have never played so many games in such a short amount of time have gone down(Rose, Shumpert, Lin, Rubio) recently.

I can't possibly disagree more with this statement.

Torn ACL's happen because of explosive movements and cuts.  Look at D Rose's injury.  That is not a "wear and tear" situation.  That is a "I am doing a 3 foot in the air jumpstop while trying to blast off my right leg for a layup" situation.

D Rose was bound to blow out his ACL at some point with the way he plays.

These injuries happen all the time in sports.  It has nothing to do with the schedule.  Unless you show me concrete evidence that this season has had more season-ending or significant injuries per game than any and all others, you are making a spurious connection.

It sucks, I feel bad for the guy, but I've seen plenty of athletes blow out their knees in my life that I am not going to say these things are just now happening because they played a crazy schedule this year.

« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2012, 10:11:34 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
Woj has reported that Shumpert tore his left ACL, too.

How crazy is that?  Two players on the same day tear their ACLs in the same knee?!

« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2012, 10:14:26 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
1:22 to go, a 12 point lead in a playoff game, I don't know of any coach who would sit his players during those circumstances. You can argue that Rose should've come off sooner, but I figure if it got as close as 12 points, he would've been inserted anyways, so the point is fairly moot.
Normally, you're 100% correct. Philly had trimmed the lead down quickly, and you don't want to risk losing Game 1. However, given Rose's injury history, you have to think carefully about having him out there. Hindsight is 20/20, but if I were Thibs, I would have been overly protective of Rose for at least this series - so long as they were winning games.

« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2012, 10:20:15 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I gotta put a little bit of blame on Thibs here. 12 point lead with a minute and change to go, and knowing that Rose has missed a lot of games he really should've sat him down, and maybe bring him back in case Philly trims the lead to 6.

This injury changes the entire playoffs.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2012, 10:20:56 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Woj has reported that Shumpert tore his left ACL, too.

How crazy is that?  Two players on the same day tear their ACLs in the same knee?!

Bodies falling apart because of the intense grind. That's really too bad.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2012, 10:25:39 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Normally, you're 100% correct. Philly had trimmed the lead down quickly, and you don't want to risk losing Game 1. However, given Rose's injury history, you have to think carefully about having him out there. Hindsight is 20/20, but if I were Thibs, I would have been overly protective of Rose for at least this series - so long as they were winning games.

I don't know if you can realistically coach to avoid injury. If it's a player with a specific injury, maybe you go easy on him when possible. But in Rose's case, it is always something new. As a coach you can't anticipate an injury, so you have to just let the kid play. His body just couldn't handle this season for whatever reason, it was bound to happen eventually during these playoffs.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2012, 10:34:07 PM »

Offline Senninsage

• Jaylen Brown

This wasn't some stronger team. This was the Philadelphia 76ers. The game was over. It was over. Everybody and their mother could see that the game was clearly over. The Bulls simply playing simple basketball, not rushing anything on offense, wins this game easy with that kind of lead. The coach made a bad decision, and I know a lot of people will try to make excuses for him, and trust me, I feel very bad for Thibs as well, but he made the wrong call. The big elephant in the room is the fact that Rose was on his way towards a triple double, and Rose wanted that triple double, and the coach, and likely the team, wanted him to get it as well.

I understand all the reasons perfectly for why the team would want him to get that triple double. With all that Rose has had to battle this season, it's totally reasonable to have wanted him to feel as good as possible about himself after this game by making him silence anybody doubting his health and ability to play at a high level with a monster triple double. it would have turn the entire playoff landscape on its head. You had teams wanted to tank just to play the Bulls because they felt Rose wasn't healthy, and the Rose himself, the team, and no doubt the coach, wanted to send a message to everybody out there. However, it come at the ultimate cost.

I won't blame Rose for staying out there. The Coach should have made the right call. You just don't take a chance with Rose in a situation like that. The team was more than capable of finishing the game out without him. This is the 76ers. I know it's playoff basketball, but Philly was as good as done. The team finished out the game without Rose, and what do you know, they won it comfortably without him. Bad decision by Thibs. It's as simple as that.

« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2012, 10:53:52 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
With the injuries he's been playing with, the body compensates. And when the body compensates, the good parts get more pounding. If it wasn't this game, he was going pop something in the next.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2012, 10:57:15 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

I will say this though, I blame this less on him being out there in meaningless minutes trying to pad his stats and more on the corrupted season that the powers that be forced upon this game this year.

Back-to-back-to-backs. 5 games in six days. 7 games in 9 days. 66 games in the time the league usually plays 44 games. Its no wonder some teams fell apart in the second half of the season and some young players who have never played so many games in such a short amount of time have gone down(Rose, Shumpert, Lin, Rubio) recently.

Torn ACL's happen because of explosive movements and cuts.  Look at D Rose's injury.  That is not a "wear and tear" situation.  That is a "I am doing a 3 foot in the air jumpstop while trying to blast off my right leg for a layup" situation.

These injuries happen all the time in sports.  It has nothing to do with the schedule.  Unless you show me concrete evidence that this season has had more season-ending or significant injuries per game than any and all others, you are making a spurious connection.

It sucks, I feel bad for the guy, but I've seen plenty of athletes blow out their knees in my life that I am not going to say these things are just now happening because they played a crazy schedule this year.
This is how I feel. Rose pushes his body to the limit with those jump stops and direction changes.

Lot's of players go down every season.

« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2012, 11:08:09 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
During the regular season, I felt like they played harder without Rose.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2012, 11:27:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Torn ACL's happen because of explosive movements and cuts.  Look at D Rose's injury.  That is not a "wear and tear" situation.  That is a "I am doing a 3 foot in the air jumpstop while trying to blast off my right leg for a layup" situation.

These injuries happen all the time in sports.  It has nothing to do with the schedule.  Unless you show me concrete evidence that this season has had more season-ending or significant injuries per game than any and all others, you are making a spurious connection.

ACL tears happen for a myriad of reasons. In older athletes it is very possible it is wear and tear. For younger athletes it can be due to contact on the thighs that cause the knee to bend the wrong way. Or it can be due to sharp cuts and the force of change of direction on the knees. And still in others it can be due to landing wrong. There's even more reasons.

But remember, athletes that are tired, over worked, over exerted or slightly injured in other areas of their bodies can over compensate for being tired, over worked, over exerted or slightly injured elsewhere. These things can cause athletes injuries.

Did it happen here? Who knows. But I have to think that playing pro athletes in an extended condensed schedule is only mathematically more likely to cause injuries than for the chances to remain the same or become less.

« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2012, 11:32:31 PM »

Kiorrik

Rondo would get his way and play too, with 9 - 9 - 20, or whatever Rose had.

« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2012, 01:15:06 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Kind of a tangent, but does anybody else remember 2 years ago when Doc got ejected against the Rockets, Thibs took over, but pretty much forgot to make any substitutions for the last quarter and a half? 

« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2012, 01:20:42 AM »

Offline thestackshow

• Bill Walton
Kind of a tangent, but does anybody else remember 2 years ago when Doc got ejected against the Rockets, Thibs took over, but pretty much forgot to make any substitutions for the last quarter and a half? 

Sure do, that was everyones main gripe with Thibs and it happened on more then once occasion, he plays his starters into the ground, Doc has guys on set minute rotations, Thibs just plays guys for the entire game. Deng and Rose both nursing injuries are playing massive minutes, that is just ridiculius.

Deng has a torn ligament in his hand and hes playing like 40+ minutes a game.
[img width= height=]http://oi43.tinypic.com/2afde6p.jpg[/img]