Author Topic: Superhero/Comics Movie Thread  (Read 165457 times)

Re: Superhero/Comics Movie Thread
« Reply #405 on: April 25, 2018, 04:59:26 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
It just occurred to me that I won't be able to see game 6 live tomorrow night, as I had purchased tickets back in March to see Avengers Infinity War in IMAX for tomorrow at 7 with my son. However, I should be able to see the end of the game. Really looking forward to seeing the movie, although I'm still more excited to see Venom more especially after seeing that second trailer yesterday.

I’m mixed about Venom, primarily that his origin has been separated from Spider-Man. I’d love to see a movie trilogy involving the black suit, the creation of Venom, and the Carnage story line.
Venom is a Sony picture so unfortunately, I am not sure its going to crossover to any of the new Spidey movies Marvel is doing, which I think sucks too. The Spidey, Venom, Carnage storyline is so great, wish it could come true.

I wish all the non-Marvel studios would just realize they can't do these movies as well as Marvel and stop making them. I know this won't happen, because of money, but a comic nerd can dream.

I know I'm on an island, but I honestly believe the DCEU movies have been clearly better than the MCU. I even prefer The Amazing Spider-Man to the MCU version. I like how the DCEU movies are connected with each other, and coincidently I would have preferred Zach Snyder to still be on board and being the architect of this overall storyline/universe. The DCEU seem to have more connective tissue that ties the movies together, as opposed to the MCU, where the connections seem more superficial. To me, even if you haven't seen half of the MCU movies, it would change nothing about what may happen in Infinite War.

« Reply #406 on: April 25, 2018, 05:12:26 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
It just occurred to me that I won't be able to see game 6 live tomorrow night, as I had purchased tickets back in March to see Avengers Infinity War in IMAX for tomorrow at 7 with my son. However, I should be able to see the end of the game. Really looking forward to seeing the movie, although I'm still more excited to see Venom more especially after seeing that second trailer yesterday.

I’m mixed about Venom, primarily that his origin has been separated from Spider-Man. I’d love to see a movie trilogy involving the black suit, the creation of Venom, and the Carnage story line.

After seeing both Venom trailers, the thought of Spider-Man not being involved didn't phase me once. I think it may actually make it a better story too, as we just get to see the evolution of Eddie Brock and the symbiote. I think Venom can carry his own movie and doesn't necessarily need Spider-Man.

The whole thing with Sony and the MCU is confusing. I'm under the impression that Sony is letting the MCU borrow Spider-Man for free. It's a partnership where both parties benefit and help each other out. Sony still owns the rights to Spider-Man, so I imagine they could use the him in a future Venom movie, although I don't think they could use Tom Holland to portray the character. Depending on how well the Venom movie is received, maybe Marvel lets Sony borrow the actor in return.

« Reply #407 on: April 25, 2018, 05:36:47 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Venom is a Sony picture so unfortunately, I am not sure its going to crossover to any of the new Spidey movies Marvel is doing, which I think sucks too. The Spidey, Venom, Carnage storyline is so great, wish it could come true.

I wish all the non-Marvel studios would just realize they can't do these movies as well as Marvel and stop making them. I know this won't happen, because of money, but a comic nerd can dream.

I know I'm on an island, but I honestly believe the DCEU movies have been clearly better than the MCU. I even prefer The Amazing Spider-Man to the MCU version. I like how the DCEU movies are connected with each other, and coincidently I would have preferred Zach Snyder to still be on board and being the architect of this overall storyline/universe. The DCEU seem to have more connective tissue that ties the movies together, as opposed to the MCU, where the connections seem more superficial. To me, even if you haven't seen half of the MCU movies, it would change nothing about what may happen in Infinite War.

Basically, I'm of the opposite opinion—I feel like the MCU movies have strong and deep connections, particularly the Cap-Stark relationship and their respective personal journeys, the Bucky story arc, and the whole Civil War storyline. I don't think you'd HAVE to see all of the prior MCU movies in order to enjoy Infinity War, but seeing them all would certainly deepen one's understanding of and appreciation for what's happening in Infinity War. As for Spidey, I liked Andrew Garfield's portrayal, but I feel like Tom Holland's is easily the best (didn't really like Tobey Maguire's).

As for the DCEU, I enjoyed Wonder Woman the most and think it's the best one so far. Man of Steel, BvS, and Justice League were okay for me, but nothing spectacular.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #408 on: April 25, 2018, 06:55:27 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I heard Black Panther was the greatest marvel movie or one of the best.   I went and saw it last night and went into it with an open mind but expecting greatness.  It was good and entertaining but it was over rated and I thought a tad slow movie for the first 55 minutes.   I also thought it was predictable.   I think Guardians of the Galaxy  1 and few other of the movies was better.   

I am going to call my friends on this one, too.  I still like Black Panther and I love Chad Bowman.  I thought Dani Gurira was incredible.  Everyone hyped up Michael B. Jordan but I was not impressed.  I would have liked to seen more of Winston Duke.  My son thought the same it was a good movie but all the hype we heard was nuts.

The non-Marvel movies of the Marvel Universe are subpar in my opinion, i agree. 

I know I'm on an island, but I honestly believe the DCEU movies have been clearly better than the MCU

I think the island statement is apt, for expressing that you're in the minority.   I think the DCEU movies are not as bad as people say.   I have liked them all but the Marvel Movies are better, perform better fiscally.   That being said, I do think some of the fan boys are over harsh on the DCEU movies.

« Reply #409 on: April 25, 2018, 07:18:05 PM »

• Satch Sanders
I heard Black Panther was the greatest marvel movie or one of the best.   I went and saw it last night and went into it with an open mind but expecting greatness.  It was good and entertaining but it was over rated and I thought a tad slow movie for the first 55 minutes.   I also thought it was predictable.   I think Guardians of the Galaxy  1 and few other of the movies was better.   

I am going to call my friends on this one, too.  I still like Black Panther and I love Chad Bowman.  I thought Dani Gurira was incredible.  Everyone hyped up Michael B. Jordan but I was not impressed.  I would have liked to seen more of Winston Duke.  My son thought the same it was a good movie but all the hype we heard was nuts.

The non-Marvel movies of the Marvel Universe are subpar in my opinion, i agree. 

I know I'm on an island, but I honestly believe the DCEU movies have been clearly better than the MCU

I think the island statement is apt, for expressing that you're in the minority.   I think the DCEU movies are not as bad as people say.   I have liked them all but the Marvel Movies are better, perform better fiscally.   That being said, I do think some of the fan boys are over harsh on the DCEU movies.

I also feel that Black Panther was good not great, and that there are several better MCU movies, especially Guardians Vol. 1, all three Captain Americas, and Thor: Ragnarok. I may have said this already in this thread, but I think a big part of Black Panther being labelled by some "the best MCU movie" is its social value—its mostly black cast and positive portrayal of African culture. All of which is great, but for me, when I consider the question of which movies are "best" (MCU or otherwise), I generally look at entertainment value and the quality of the storytelling, not social commentary. But that's just me.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #410 on: April 25, 2018, 08:43:05 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I loved Black Panther, it's one of my favorite Marvel movies to date. I'd say that Black Panther, Days of Future Past and the first Avengers are my top Marvel movies.

I'm in the minority but I'm not a Guardians fan, too corny for my tastes - the second one was ok but the first I could have skipped. Not a big Chris Pratt fan either. Wasn't crazy about Thor: Ragnarok either, too much comedy so I didn't really feel invested in anything that was going on. Jeff Goldblum was entertaining though.

I would classify Guardians and Ragnarok as comedies first, action movies second.

« Reply #411 on: April 25, 2018, 08:49:08 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!

« Reply #412 on: April 25, 2018, 08:54:42 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
My wife and son saw Black Panther and loved it.

Evidently there were viewers there in African garb.

As for Social Commentary? Some can take it or leave it, but for a sometimes lesser known Marvel Hero to have a successful run at the Box Office AND FINALLY portray African culture in a positive, heroic light is HUGE.

Here's hoping that the Green Lantern movie has John Stewart in it (as well as Hal Jordan).

Architect. MARINE. Superhero.

I'd also love for DC to step out of the box and produce a movie featuring Icon.

He (and his close friend Rocket) shared a special  bond in the comics.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 09:00:49 PM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #413 on: April 25, 2018, 09:09:48 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
DC Animation is the best..

great story and animation

« Reply #414 on: April 25, 2018, 09:23:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
DC Animation is the best..

great story and animation
The people working on this was like an anime all-star team. Still haven’t gotten around to watching it, but looking forward to it
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #415 on: April 27, 2018, 04:07:02 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Infinity War was really good. It is definitely a spectacle, and for all the moving parts, they weave it together really well.

It’s very much a “part one”; I’m anxious to see what comes next.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #416 on: April 27, 2018, 04:14:27 PM »

• Satch Sanders
Infinity War was really good. It is definitely a spectacle, and for all the moving parts, they weave it together really well.

Did you see it in IMAX? I think my brother-in-law and I are going to see it in IMAX Monday night, when the crowds are small.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #417 on: April 27, 2018, 04:48:29 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Did you see it in IMAX? I think my brother-in-law and I are going to see it in IMAX Monday night, when the crowds are small.

Sadly there isn’t an IMAX within about 150 miles of me, but I can imagine that it will be awesome.

As for small crowds... It’s the second man vie in a row where I was asked to movie over so that people could sit together *after the movie started*. I know it’s petty, and I accommodated them both times, but for the record: if you care about your seat, show up on time!

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #418 on: April 27, 2018, 05:16:06 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
I saw Infinity War in IMAX 3D. The 3D was very good and well worth seeing in IMAX. I thought the movie was very good, but not great. I'm not a fan of how the Russo brothers direct action scenes. Also, for as much as the movie was desperately trying to make an emotional mark at times, it just felt hollow and meaningless to me.

« Reply #419 on: December 08, 2019, 08:42:45 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
https://youtu.be/sfM7_JLk-84

Looking forward to this.