Author Topic: Superhero/Comics Movie Thread  (Read 165389 times)

Re: Superhero/Comics Movie Thread
« Reply #390 on: April 10, 2018, 12:16:42 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I saw Black Panther on it's opening Thursday night showing in IMAX. For the life of me, I can't figure out why its doing so well in the box office. Don't get me wrong, I liked it but there was nothing special about it either. It was a typical Marvel movie, but with basically the characters and setting from the Lion King.

« Reply #391 on: April 10, 2018, 12:33:04 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I saw Black Panther on it's opening Thursday night showing in IMAX. For the life of me, I can't figure out why its doing so well in the box office. Don't get me wrong, I liked it but there was nothing special about it either. It was a typical Marvel movie, but with basically the characters and setting from the Lion King.

For me, being a Marvel Comics geek, "typical Marvel movie" is a good thing, as I've found all the MCU movies entertaining and enjoyable, but I understand what you're saying—as I mentioned in an earlier comment, I like Black Panther, but I can't say that it's one of my favorites (at least, not after only one viewing of it).

I think its extreme box-office success is due as much to featuring a black superhero as it is to being well made—meaning, a lot of black people are feeling a connection with this character and his world, a lot more than is typical with a Marvel movie, and they're making that known with their dollars.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #392 on: April 10, 2018, 01:42:24 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think its extreme box-office success is due as much to featuring a black superhero as it is to being well made—meaning, a lot of black people are feeling a connection with this character and his world, a lot more than is typical with a Marvel movie, and they're making that known with their dollars.

I don't think that's wrong, but I do think that's assigning too much influence to that narrative alone. White people, lots of while people, are making this movie the 1st or 2nd most successful Marvel movie of all time. I saw it. I really liked it. But I didn't see Thor Ragnorak in movie theaters but I enjoyed it more. Meanwhile Spiderman Homecoming also did better than Thor R. and while I also liked that move quite a bit, I found Thor to be better.

So are black people going to see Black Panther because it is some kind of cultural benchmark (where we also forget that Wesley Snipes played a black superhero from the Marvel universe 20 years ago) having a black super hero and a black cast in a land that celebrates black culture? Sure. Is that the primary motivation to the movie performing better? No way.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #393 on: April 10, 2018, 02:21:50 PM »

• Satch Sanders

I don't think that's wrong, but I do think that's assigning too much influence to that narrative alone. White people, lots of while people, are making this movie the 1st or 2nd most successful Marvel movie of all time. I saw it. I really liked it. But I didn't see Thor Ragnorak in movie theaters but I enjoyed it more. Meanwhile Spiderman Homecoming also did better than Thor R. and while I also liked that move quite a bit, I found Thor to be better.

So are black people going to see Black Panther because it is some kind of cultural benchmark (where we also forget that Wesley Snipes played a black superhero from the Marvel universe 20 years ago) having a black super hero and a black cast in a land that celebrates black culture? Sure. Is that the primary motivation to the movie performing better? No way.

I agree that there are lots of white people seeing Black Panther, because there are a lot of white Marvel nerds (such as myself)—in fact, comic-book nerddom tends to be dominated by whites.

But I think having a movie composed almost entirely of black characters gives it an added value that makes it more of a draw for black audiences than any other Marvel movie to date. Marvel expanded its appeal and its target audience with this movie, and the box-office totals are reflecting that.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #394 on: April 11, 2018, 10:12:13 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Avengers: Infinity War is on track to outsell Black Panther in presale tickets so anticipation is high for that one. It'll have to be good to have the legs that Black Panther had, though.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/avengers-infinity-war-beating-black-panther-set-new-presales-record-1101631
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #395 on: April 11, 2018, 10:14:40 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Avengers: Infinity War is on track to outsell Black Panther in presale tickets so anticipation is high for that one. It'll have to be good to have the legs that Black Panther had, though.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/avengers-infinity-war-beating-black-panther-set-new-presales-record-1101631

It will be tough, if only due to increased competition.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #396 on: April 11, 2018, 10:24:08 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Remember when breaking box office records actually used to mean something?

Now just about any branded junk can do it.

Nowadays I feel kinda like Immortan Joe when I read about this stuff:

« Reply #397 on: April 11, 2018, 10:25:12 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I agree that there are lots of white people seeing Black Panther, because there are a lot of white Marvel nerds (such as myself)—in fact, comic-book nerddom tends to be dominated by whites.

But I think having a movie composed almost entirely of black characters gives it an added value that makes it more of a draw for black audiences than any other Marvel movie to date. Marvel expanded its appeal and its target audience with this movie, and the box-office totals are reflecting that.

I think that’s right.

I also think that Black Panther is just a really tight, well-composed, good movie. It took on a cultural significance, but if it had sucked (like a Wrinkle In Time) nobody would be going to repeat showings.

I know that for me, I liked it more than any Marvel movie since Captain America 2 (or maybe GOTG). I’ve thought almost all of them were good, with only Thor 2 and Iron Man 3 being outright misses for me. For whatever reason, though, certain movies resonate more than others, and Black Panther was supremely entertaining to me.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #398 on: April 11, 2018, 10:27:00 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Remember when breaking box office records actually used to mean something?

Now just about any branded junk can do it.

Ha. I didn’t enjoy that Mad Max film much at all. My friends and most critics seem to think I’m crazy.

« Reply #399 on: April 11, 2018, 12:21:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It will be tough, if only due to increased competition.
The Solo Star Wars movie comes out 3 weeks after Infinity Wars which will probably cut into Infinity Wars ability to earn really well for very long at the box office. Though, I guess most blockbusters do like 70% of their earnings in the first 3 weeks, so we will see.

« Reply #400 on: April 25, 2018, 01:47:52 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
It just occurred to me that I won't be able to see game 6 live tomorrow night, as I had purchased tickets back in March to see Avengers Infinity War in IMAX for tomorrow at 7 with my son. However, I should be able to see the end of the game. Really looking forward to seeing the movie, although I'm still more excited to see Venom more especially after seeing that second trailer yesterday.

« Reply #401 on: April 25, 2018, 01:54:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
It just occurred to me that I won't be able to see game 6 live tomorrow night, as I had purchased tickets back in March to see Avengers Infinity War in IMAX for tomorrow at 7 with my son. However, I should be able to see the end of the game. Really looking forward to seeing the movie, although I'm still more excited to see Venom more especially after seeing that second trailer yesterday.

I’m mixed about Venom, primarily that his origin has been separated from Spider-Man. I’d love to see a movie trilogy involving the black suit, the creation of Venom, and the Carnage story line.

« Reply #402 on: April 25, 2018, 01:55:48 PM »

• Satch Sanders

I think I'm more stoked about Infinity War than I've been about any other MCU movie, so much so that I've actually considered going during opening weekend (I normally wait a couple of weeks to see movies in the theater, since I can't stand crowds or loud teeny-boppers; am I old? maybe ;D ).

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #403 on: April 25, 2018, 01:58:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I’m mixed about Venom, primarily that his origin has been separated from Spider-Man. I’d love to see a movie trilogy involving the black suit, the creation of Venom, and the Carnage story line.
Venom is a Sony picture so unfortunately, I am not sure its going to crossover to any of the new Spidey movies Marvel is doing, which I think sucks too. The Spidey, Venom, Carnage storyline is so great, wish it could come true.

« Reply #404 on: April 25, 2018, 02:27:21 PM »

• Satch Sanders

Venom is a Sony picture so unfortunately, I am not sure its going to crossover to any of the new Spidey movies Marvel is doing, which I think sucks too. The Spidey, Venom, Carnage storyline is so great, wish it could come true.

I wish all the non-Marvel studios would just realize they can't do these movies as well as Marvel and stop making them. I know this won't happen, because of money, but a comic nerd can dream.

— C.S. Lewis