Author Topic: Superhero/Comics Movie Thread  (Read 165370 times)

Re: Superhero/Comics Movie Thread
« Reply #255 on: April 07, 2014, 03:42:20 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I actually prefer the big Marvel properties (Avengers, Spidey, X-Men) being separate because too many crossovers would just complicate things, especially for non-fans. Also, though Marvel maintained continuity across all books, it always required suspension of disbelief when a huge problem occurred and you wonder where say, the Avengers or The Fantastic Four were to come lend a hand. You can't have too many characters intersecting in the movie world because some things are more plausible in print than on the big screen.

X-Men already encompasses a huge enough world to supply many movies, though besides Wolverine they don't have the solo stars that mainstream audiences would recognize. Also, their already-flimsy "mankind fears mutants" motivation would become even flimsier if all these other heroes were beloved but mutants were somehow seen as a menace.

Spidey was never really an international hero, he just stuck around NYC. Though he does fight people with projectiles, his fighting style doesn't fit in aesthetically with villains from the other comics. Basically, he's not super-powerful like some of the other Marvel characters. He always fit in better with characters like Daredevil or the Black Widow whose abilities were limited. His main mode of travel, web-slinging, isn't even possible in any city without a healthy amount of skyscrapers. Spidey in LA? Time to rent a car!

« Reply #256 on: April 28, 2014, 11:39:45 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Zack Snyder to direct the Justice League due out in 2018.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #257 on: October 22, 2014, 10:08:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #258 on: October 22, 2014, 10:22:04 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #259 on: February 10, 2015, 12:55:41 AM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
It's official.  Spider-Man is joining the MCU.

http://www.slashfilm.com/spiderman-marvel-studios/

« Reply #260 on: February 10, 2015, 03:02:53 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Bummer they are rebooting him again. I actually didn't mind Andrew Garfield, but his two movies weren't great.  But it will be cool to see spidey in the MCU.  They should skip the origin story. Will be interesting to see who they cast.

The Andrew Garfield situation will be like Brandon routh... I thought he was a solid superman. He wasn't the problem with the movie. But unfortunately they had to recast him.

« Reply #261 on: February 10, 2015, 07:21:50 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Bummer they are rebooting him again. I actually didn't mind Andrew Garfield, but his two movies weren't great.  But it will be cool to see spidey in the MCU.  They should skip the origin story. Will be interesting to see who they cast.

The Andrew Garfield situation will be like Brandon routh... I thought he was a solid superman. He wasn't the problem with the movie. But unfortunately they had to recast him.

Yeah it sucks Garfield wont get to play him with a  good script. He looked and acted more like Spidy than Mcguire did.

The last two movies were okay, not Catwoman bad, but watchable. At least they got Spidy with with big eyes in the last one. It only look 5 films to get it.

Hopefully they wont do a full origin movie, and just do flash backs, with two recent origins, I think they could get away with a flyby origin and jump right into the story. I would like to see a better Green Goblin than the power ranger and emo versions they pulled the last two times.

« Reply #262 on: February 10, 2015, 08:07:33 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Spidey is my all time favorite superhero and I really liked the Garfield version.  Shame he won't be playing him anymore.  I think Garfield would have fit in well with Downey, Evans, and company. 

« Reply #263 on: February 10, 2015, 08:58:08 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Yeah it sucks Garfield wont get to play him with a  good script. He looked and acted more like Spidy than Mcguire did.

The last two movies were okay, not Catwoman bad, but watchable. At least they got Spidy with with big eyes in the last one. It only look 5 films to get it.

Hopefully they wont do a full origin movie, and just do flash backs, with two recent origins, I think they could get away with a flyby origin and jump right into the story. I would like to see a better Green Goblin than the power ranger and emo versions they pulled the last two times.
must be just me but I thought Tobey was the better Spidey.  less punky and more geeky like Peter Parker really was.  curious who's going to put on the mask now. 

last 2 movies were ok.  liked that they brought in different villains like Electro, Rhino and the Lizard.  any word on who the next villain will be?

« Reply #264 on: February 10, 2015, 09:05:56 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I thought Garfield made a good Spidey but not a very believable Parker - too much self-confidence.  Maguire had the opposite problem - good Peter, so-so Spiderman.

« Reply #265 on: February 10, 2015, 09:07:08 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Chris Pine has the cockiness but he may be getting a little old for spidey.

« Reply #266 on: February 10, 2015, 09:17:58 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
It will be someone who isn't a star  That is what they always do in Superhero movies.  Batman is the only one that is consistently cast as a star (Iron Man as well obviously).  Batman (and Iron Man) tend to be a bit older so it makes some sense in that regard. 

So a guy like Chris Pine won't be Spiderman.  It will be someone you would never think of.  At least that is how I see it.  I mean you watch the Social Network and you never think Garfield is going to be Spiderman, but I thought he did a pretty good job. 

« Reply #267 on: February 10, 2015, 09:31:08 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This makes me happy.  Restarting it is a good idea. 

« Reply #268 on: February 10, 2015, 10:39:07 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I have to question how many in this thread read comics, both McGuire and Garfield did a decent job but neither nailed Spiderman and each of them had elements missing from Spiderman.   Garfield did a better job at the cockey comments that Spidey is known for, McGuire did a better job at Spidey's vulnerability and Peter Parker.

It will be someone you would never think of.
  Chris Evans was known when he was cast as Captain America.  So there goes that theory.   I agree, if they go with someone unknown it is cheaper and they can lock them up longer so that is the main reason.    I would also point out That Robert Downey Jr. was a known albeit damaged property when they cast him.  They do like casting foreigners in Hollywood these days, Aussies are pretty popular.

Could it be someone like  Brenton Thwaites or Xavier Samuel.   These are the kind of guys I think they will cast.   I threw Pine out there because he has the perfect moxy for the costumed Spidey, he would be a terrible Peter Parker.  They may even keep Garfield and make some changes.  McGuire is too old and has health ( back) issues nowadays.

Spiderman may be different because he is one of their most iconic characters, who knows.  He has always been their flagship character.   He is not the most powerful but he is one who people identify with as the common man.   His life is crappy outside of the superhero universe and he rarely gets credit.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 10:50:19 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #269 on: February 10, 2015, 10:51:20 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
I like Garfield better than McGuire for the role of Spider-Man. I'm getting tired of all the reboots, but since Spidey is now going to enter the MCU, I'm okay with it in this case.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis