Author Topic: Superhero/Comics Movie Thread  (Read 166929 times)

Re: Superhero/Comics Movie Thread
« Reply #270 on: February 10, 2015, 10:56:46 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I have to question how many in this thread read comics, both McGuire and Garfield did a decent job but neither nailed Spiderman and each of them had elements missing from Spiderman.   Garfield did a better job at the cockey comments that Spidey is known for, McGuire did a better job at Spidey's vulnerability and Peter Parker.

It will be someone you would never think of.
  Chris Evans was known when he was cast as Captain America.  So there goes that theory.   I agree, if they go with someone unknown it is cheaper and they can lock them up longer so that is the main reason.    I would also point out That Robert Downey Jr. was a known albeit damaged property when they cast him.  They do like casting foreigners in Hollywood these days, Aussies are pretty popular.

Could it be someone like  Brenton Thwaites or Xavier Samuel.   These are the kind of guys I think they will cast.   I threw Pine out there because he has the perfect moxy for the costumed Spidey, he would be a terrible Peter Parker.  They may even keep Garfield and make some changes.  McGuire is too old and has health ( back) issues nowadays.

Spiderman may be different because he is one of their most iconic characters, who knows.  He has always been their flagship character.   He is not the most powerful but he is one who people identify with as the common man.   His life is crappy outside of the superhero universe and he rarely gets credit.
Chris Evans was known, but he wasn't a star and I don't think anyone thought he would be cast as Captain America because he was already in a Superhero franchise (and frankly hadn't done a whole lot between Fantastic Four and Captain America). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #271 on: April 09, 2015, 02:14:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Fantastic Four reboot trailer is out. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-BVs-KCSiA

Looks interesting and a bit more in the dark trend of the superhero movies these days.

« Reply #272 on: April 09, 2015, 02:22:17 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I like Kate Mara but I will always remember Jessica Alba as Susan Storm

« Reply #273 on: April 09, 2015, 02:38:28 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'm one of those that likes to keep characters as true as they were original as possible, so I'm going to have a tough time accepting the changes they have come up with this time around.

« Reply #274 on: April 09, 2015, 03:27:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I'm one of those that likes to keep characters as true as they were original as possible, so I'm going to have a tough time accepting the changes they have come up with this time around.
you mean like Kate Mara and Michael B. Jordan being brother and sister.

« Reply #275 on: April 09, 2015, 03:36:52 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

I have a buddy who owns a comic gaming store.  From what I heard helping him by working with the shop as he went to a concert Saturday, consensus is that this movie will do not do well because it has messed with canon.  These guys are fanboys and I bet they Redbox it if anything.   

They are in fact, not favorable in outlook of any movie not made by Marvel themselves.   Marvel even cancelled the FF4 comic.   This move is being made by Fox?   They were very happy that Sony let Marvel use Spidey.  They want all movie rights to go back to Marvel movies who get it right.   Though this movie has Marvel Characters it is not done by Marvel.

This is just one store so it may be mean nothing.   But these are the guys who show up at midnight to watch their moves and a lot of them go to the Comic Cons.

« Reply #276 on: April 09, 2015, 03:50:34 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I have a buddy who owns a comic gaming store.  From what I heard helping him by working with the shop as he went to a concert Saturday, consensus is that this movie will do not do well because it has messed with canon.  These guys are fanboys and I bet they Redbox it if anything.   

They are in fact, not favorable in outlook of any movie not made by Marvel themselves.   Marvel even cancelled the FF4 comic.   This move is being made by Fox?   They were very happy that Sony let Marvel use Spidey.  They want all movie rights to go back to Marvel movies who get it right.   Though this movie has Marvel Characters it is not done by Marvel.

This is just one store so it may be mean nothing.   But these are the guys who show up at midnight to watch their moves and a lot of them go to the Comic Cons.

Your buddy isn't the only one. There's a regular customer from where I work who was a fan of FF since the 60's (yeah he's old) that pretty much said the exact same thing.

He's upset that the FF books have been cancelled and he's also not looking forward to this movie and he hopes it "fails so FOX would stop making Fantastic Four movies and just bring it back to Marvel". And boy, he's enraged with the casting, especially this  idea that Dr. Doom is very different.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #277 on: April 09, 2015, 04:12:10 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Not looking forward to the new FF4 at all....they should've kept it original - as in the other 2 movies from a few years ago.

I will probably watch it, but with disappointment....no matter how good the movie is/will be.....there are other ways to present inclusion and diversity in comics and movies.

I certainly understand the need for diversity/inclusion. I grew up reading and loving comics (still do, thanks to my sons) and didn't even pay much attention to the lack of Black heroes and heroines - and even other ethnicities.

Then you grow up, lose your innocence, and see the need for diversity in society - AND in comicville. You notice the lack.

I remember the Original Superfriends vividly...never paid attention to the lack of color...all I saw was the color of the uniforms.

But again - as I got older and wiser I saw the need.

From what I've read over the last few years, comics have come a ways...but the movies need to go a bit further. I appreciate the place where the Avengers is at now - because they are staying TRUE to the comics and script.

In short, inclusion/diversity - needs to be done RIGHT.

Marvel lacks an "Alpha" male or female as far as black heroes/heroines...or if they do exist they are mostly unnoticed.

From what I understand, a version of Spiderman is African-American and Hispanic...would be nice to see this incorporated in Hollywood:

I think DC goes further in diversity/inclusion. In 1993, the late Dwyane McDuffie introduced Icon:

Icon has a rich (but mostly unknown, unfortunately) history in the DC Universe. He is ORIGINAL, but yet was drawn/created - to be Superman's equal.

Young Justice cartoon series introduced Icon and his friend Rocket for several series. He was presented well.

Would LOVE, someday, for Icon to make the movies.

But yeah - I am disappointed to the new FF4...but looking forward to seeing the movie. Inclusion needs to be done the right way.

« Reply #278 on: April 09, 2015, 04:25:35 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Not looking forward to the new FF4 at all....they should've kept it original - as in the other 2 movies from a few years ago.

I will probably watch it, but with disappointment....no matter how good the movie is/will be.....there are other ways to present inclusion and diversity in comics and movies.

I certainly understand the need for diversity/inclusion. I grew up reading and loving comics (still do, thanks to my sons) and didn't even pay much attention to the lack of Black heroes and heroines - and even other ethnicities.

Then you grow up, lose your innocence, and see the need for diversity in society - AND in comicville. You notice the lack.

I remember the Original Superfriends vividly...never paid attention to the lack of color...all I saw was the color of the uniforms.

From what I've read over the last few years, comics have come a ways...but the movies need to go a bit further. I appreciate the place where the Avengers is at now - because they are staying TRUE to the comics and script.

Marvel lacks an "Alpha" male or female as far as black heroes/heroines...or if they do exist they are mostly unnoticed.

From what I understand, a version of Spiderman is African-American and Hispanic...would be nice to see this incorporated in Hollywood:

I think DC goes further in diversity/inclusion. In 1993, the late Dwyane McDuffie introduced Icon:

Icon has a rich (but mostly unknown, unfortunately) history in the DC Universe. He is ORIGINAL, but yet was drawn/created - to be Superman's equal.

Young Justice cartoon series introduced Icon and his friend Rocket for several series. He was presented well.

But yeah - I am disappointed to the new FF4...but looking forward to seeing the movie. Inclusion needs to be done the right way.

I'd love for Marvel to reacquire the movie rights to all their characters—they just know how to make superhero movies.

As for diversity and adherence to source material, I have no problem with diversity, but I'm also a big originalist (for the most part, unless something just doesn't make sense for a movie). At the risk of sounding racist/sexist/whatever-ist, I think things like a female Thor and a Muslim Ms. Marvel and a black or Hispanic Spider-Man are bad ideas (even if they did first happen in the comics), just like it would be silly to have a white Luke Cage or a male Wasp. Diversity is fine, but it shouldn't be forced.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #279 on: April 09, 2015, 04:34:45 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

I'd love for Marvel to reacquire the movie rights to all their characters—they just know how to make superhero movies.

As for diversity and adherence to source material, I have no problem with diversity, but I'm also a big originalist (for the most part, unless something just doesn't make sense for a movie). At the risk of sounding racist/sexist/whatever-ist, I think things like a female Thor and a Muslim Ms. Marvel and a black or Hispanic Spider-Man are bad ideas (even if they did first happen in the comics), just like it would be silly to have a white Luke Cage or a male Wasp. Diversity is fine, but it shouldn't be forced.

Agreed.

I can imagine that, as the writers/producers were sitting at the table for the new FF4 - they probably had the same conversations.

But the sad thing is that instead of finding innovative ways to diversify - they got lazy (IMO) and forced it.

As creative/innovative as humans are - we can't come up with new heroes or ways to diversify?

I heard about the new Thor months ago...haven't read the script or anything. From the reviews they are mostly positive. Same with the Muslim Ms. Marvel.

I guess for name recognition it is easier to just recycle tried and true heroes...which is a bit sad. But I guess change has to start somewhere.

« Reply #280 on: April 09, 2015, 04:57:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Falcon is black and they kept him black in the movies.  Nick Fury was made black for the movies and I don't think anyone can picture Fury as anyone other than Sam Jackson (even though he was white in the comics).

Diversity is fine, but you can't be diverse just to be diverse.  It has to make sense. 

« Reply #281 on: April 09, 2015, 04:59:03 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Falcon is black and they kept him black in the movies.  Nick Fury was made black for the movies and I don't think anyone can picture Fury as anyone other than Sam Jackson (even though he was white in the comics).

Diversity is fine, but you can't be diverse just to be diverse.  It has to make sense.
Its comics, evil twins, body/mind swaps, and retcons are constant.

It all makes sense and it all doesn't. I giggle at the complaining about forced diversity because its the same complaint that the status quo always makes couched in the usual language.

Same with with the gamergate crazies, reactionaries gonna reactionary.

« Reply #282 on: April 09, 2015, 05:26:40 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

Your buddy isn't the only one. There's a regular customer from where I work who was a fan of FF since the 60's (yeah he's old) that pretty much said the exact same thing.

He's upset that the FF books have been cancelled and he's also not looking forward to this movie and he hopes it "fails so FOX would stop making Fantastic Four movies and just bring it back to Marvel". And boy, he's enraged with the casting, especially this  idea that Dr. Doom is very different.

The first FF movies were absolutely abysmal. Dr Doom is my fav comic book villain ever but I couldn't stand it.

« Reply #283 on: April 09, 2015, 05:38:54 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Its comics, evil twins, body/mind swaps, and retcons are constant.

It all makes sense and it all doesn't. I giggle at the complaining about forced diversity because its the same complaint that the status quo always makes couched in the usual language.

Same with with the gamergate crazies, reactionaries gonna reactionary.

Wasn't the Ultimates version of Nick Fury black anyway, and came out before the movie version?  Either way we all know David Hasselhoff is the real Fury:

« Reply #284 on: April 09, 2015, 05:53:43 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
i'll chime in here and say yes the general nerd population believe this F4 movie will be a horrible F4 movie. it may be a good movie, but as a Fantastic 4 movie this is going to be horrible. 

if you know anything about the dynamics of the Fantastic 4 from the comics and have heard the changes they've made I can't see how anyone could or would disagree.

if you're only a passing comic movie fan then maybe this won't matter to you. and this is all Fox is concerned with.

Marvel is also pretty much dumping the X-men comics in some fashion because those movies are somewhat lacking, and they don't own the movie rights Fox does, so they can't use them in this cinematic universe they've created.