Author Topic: Superhero/Comics Movie Thread  (Read 166721 times)

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
Just saw Dark Knight Rises and it was unbelievable.  One of the best films I have EVER seen.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Dark Knight Rises was alright.  Not unbelievable.  Not the best movie ever.  THat's just fanboy endorphins. 

I still say "Batman Begins" was a better movie than "Dark Knight", but Heath Ledger was fantastic as "The Joker" and stole the show.  Replace the Joker/Ledger's performance with another villain and it's not as interesting as "Batman Begins".  That's basically what "Dark Knight Rises" is... it's "The Dark Knight" without The Joker.  Good movie.  Some holes and sloppy plot points.  Both of the character reveals were obvious and predictable if you are a fan of the comics.  Tom Hardy was ok as Bane, but really the mask prevented you from ever really seeing him "act"... his voice was a bit odd.  It's sounded like Sean Connery mixed with a Dalek.  My girlfriend thought he was flat out "bad" in it and said he sounded cartoonish... I didn't mind it as much.  Solid movie, though... but definitely the 3rd best of the Trilogy. 

I enjoyed it, though and certainly recommend it.  It's just what I completely expected.  "Batman Begins" felt revolutionary, original and a brilliant take on the genre.  "Dark Knight" was far less interesting from a Bruce Wayne/Batman standpoint, but Heath Ledger completely stole the show and it was undeniably awesome, because of that performance.  This one... I dunno... Solid way to wrap up the story, but it wasn't as good as either movie.     
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 04:18:32 AM by LarBrd33 »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I still haven't even seen the batman movie. Batman sucks in comparison to spiderman!

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

Easy question.

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Haven't seen the avengers either.

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
to be honest after seeing all 3 superhero movies

I'd rank by storyline

Dark Knight
Spiderman
Avengers

If you talk about how much I enjoy it

Avengers
Dark Knight
Spiderman

Avengers is more action packed while Dark Knight and Spiderman has more storyline

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
Just saw Dark Knight Rises and it was unbelievable.  One of the best films I have EVER seen.

Must not have seen too many movie then...

Now Im a big Batman fan, but the movie was good, NOT UNBELIEVABLE.

I left the theater thinking, that was good. After the Avengers I left saying "holy crap lets see that again now!"

One thing Nolan did was make it too real, and drags out the characters too much. Theres no real inspiring scenes with Batman, kinda fell flat.

It's kinda why Im ready for the next faze of Batman stories, bring in a team that will make the character larger than life.  

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I left the theater thinking, that was good. After the Avengers I left saying "holy crap lets see that again now!"

One thing Nolan did was make it too real, and drags out the characters too much. Theres no real inspiring scenes with Batman, kinda fell flat.

It's kinda why Im ready for the next faze of Batman stories, bring in a team that will make the character larger than life.  
I pretty much agree with you.  I do think what Nolan did was awesome, though.  The three movies fit together.  This wrapped up the story and themes.  But the first two were better.  The idea of doing a "realistic" portrayal of a popular Superhero seemed revolutionary when "Batman Begins" came out.  It was fresh and exciting... a hugely welcome change from the crap Batman movies that proceeded it.  The second movie was ALL The Joker.. otherwise it would have felt a little like a rehash.  Seriously... take "The JOker" out of "Dark Knight" and it's a weaker story than "Batman Begins".  Ledger carried that movie.  With this third movie, it definitely feels like more of the same.  It's no longer exciting for being "revolutionary", "new" and "fresh"...  So it lost a little of what made "Batman Begins" so awesome.  And having no Heath Ledger made it lose almost all of what made "Dark Knight" so awesome.  Still, as someone with a passing knowledge of the Batman mythos, I found it interesting how they decided to shoehorn famous characters/backstories into the "Nolan world".  It was a nice end to the story, but a lot of it was handled a little sloppy.

I agree that it will be interesting to see how they handle the inevitable reboot of Batman.  I really appreciate what Nolan did, but I think the next iteration should try to mirror the comics more.  In other words... not highly stylized Burton or dark (crappy) campy Schumacher... not hyper-realistic Nolan.  I think the look and feel of the characters should maybe be a bit like the "Arkham City"/"Arkham Asylum" games.  Maybe you can just completely do away with the origin story (since we all know it) and just do a true-to-comics Batman movie. 

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
 I liked the character development in The Amazing Spiderman more than I like the action in the Avengers.   Spidey drew me in to the story more.

I  guess it all depends on what you are looking for...
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen

I pretty much agree with you.  I do think what Nolan did was awesome, though.  The three movies fit together.  This wrapped up the story and themes.  But the first two were better.  The idea of doing a "realistic" portrayal of a popular Superhero seemed revolutionary when "Batman Begins" came out.  It was fresh and exciting... a hugely welcome change from the crap Batman movies that proceeded it.  The second movie was ALL The Joker.. otherwise it would have felt a little like a rehash.  Seriously... take "The JOker" out of "Dark Knight" and it's a weaker story than "Batman Begins".  Ledger carried that movie.  With this third movie, it definitely feels like more of the same.  It's no longer exciting for being "revolutionary", "new" and "fresh"...  So it lost a little of what made "Batman Begins" so awesome.  And having no Heath Ledger made it lose almost all of what made "Dark Knight" so awesome.  Still, as someone with a passing knowledge of the Batman mythos, I found it interesting how they decided to shoehorn famous characters/backstories into the "Nolan world".  It was a nice end to the story, but a lot of it was handled a little sloppy.

I agree that it will be interesting to see how they handle the inevitable reboot of Batman.  I really appreciate what Nolan did, but I think the next iteration should try to mirror the comics more.  In other words... not highly stylized Burton or dark (crappy) campy Schumacher... not hyper-realistic Nolan.  I think the look and feel of the characters should maybe be a bit like the "Arkham City"/"Arkham Asylum" games.  Maybe you can just completely do away with the origin story (since we all know it) and just do a true-to-comics Batman movie. 

I do like the character development and story lines that Nolan did, I agree he brought something to it. Bane was a bad choice, didn't seem like a huge threat like the Joker did. Some was the mask hindered things. I think Riddler would have made a nicer choice, with Bane as the muscle.

The Arkham story lines would be fun. I think the "Night of the Owls" story line that they are doing now would work really nice as a beginning story. You can do a beginning like they did with Hulk and have a bunch of news paper shots of the killing of the Waynes, Bruce Wayne missing, his return, Batmans first appearance, something about Commissioner Gordan and  so on in the beginning of the credits. And then move on to to story.

Offline All Star Matt Clement

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
really enjoyed Dark Knight Rises, but yeah hard to match the first one's novelty.

SPOILER
LarBrd you called it with the Talia Ras Ghul thing and Blake inheriting Batman's mantle.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Just got back from Batman.  Of the three movies in the thread, I felt Spiderman was the best of the three.  It was a fairly new take on the story, was well written, well acted, well directed, and was just an awesomely done story.  And Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone are the perfect Peter and Gwen.  They are perfect together with such a great chemistry they were totally believable in that role.

Avengers was the second best.  Just an awesome thrillride from the outset.  Good story, good acting, etc.  I am just more of a fan of the origin type story.  With so many characters it is hard to draw a real connection even with the four predecessor movies.  Not enough screen time for all of them, but that is what that type of movies has to be and in that I can't see how they could have done it much better.

Batman felt too similar to the first two and sure they all related together, but it was way too much of a rehash of the first two for me.  The three villains in the Batman movies were just out for chaos for the sake of chaos and that just doesn't resonate well with me.  Liam Neeson and Heath Ledger did a great job of it, but you just didn't that connection with Tom Hardy.  I did really like Catwoman in this.  By far the best movie version of her.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
And the trailer for the new Superman has me totally excited for the summer of 2013.  That movie looks pretty solid.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
really enjoyed Dark Knight Rises, but yeah hard to match the first one's novelty.

SPOILER
LarBrd you called it with the Talia Ras Ghul thing and Blake inheriting Batman's mantle.

SPOILERS:

I actually expected Ra's Al Ghul to actually return... a big shocker towards the end that he was still alive.  Instead he just returned in the form of the vision... which actually makes more sense, placates the "immortality" angle and keeps with the anti-comicbooky feel of everything (having him return out of nowhere could potentially have felt a little like deus ex machina).  Instead, the Talia reveal and the twisting of Bane's origin to be Talia's acted as the big "shocker" piece instead.  I did really enjoy the movie and think it all logically added up as a complete story.  I think it would have been harder to tie up the entire Batman mythos in 3 movies with the Riddler.  Bane's connection to the League of Shadows/Talia just tied it together properly and I believe a lot of that was inspired by the comics (Bane's connection to Ra's Al Ghul and such). 

I also called Joseph Gordan Levitt being Robin just from the trailers.  There was a bit in the trailer where he was at the orphanage and it alluded to him being an orphan himself... so I instantly thought:  beat cop, orphan, random major character... John Blake has to be his adopted name... his real name must be Dick Grayson... and at the end they'll probably skip the "Robin" thing and make him some unnamed form of Nightwing.  I was a little wrong on that hunch... with his name actually being "Robin John Blake".  I don't think he was exactly Dick Grayson... he was more an Amalgamation of the many folks who had been "Robin" like Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, and Tim Drake.  That was a smart way of doing it.  The "Robin John Blake" character was more the "essence" of Robin than any particular specific character.  I have to give Nolan credit for that.  Nolan said multiple times he would never have Robin in his version of the story since Robin wouldn't fit in his world.  And technically he didn't lie... it wasn't exactly "Robin".  It was the essence of the Robin character reimagined as "Robin John Blake". 

That said... my best friend and his girlfriend went to see it... she hated it and he was so bored he fell asleep (despite the fact he was incredibly jacked up to see it).  Definitely the weakest of the three movies.

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Went to Dark Night yesterday and really liked it.  I didn't like it as much as the Avengers but they are totally different types of movies.

Bane was a good villain but they really messed up his voice, sounded like a cross between Dr Evil and Darth Vader.

The story was great and I think it was a perfect way to end the trilogy.

I wouldn't mind seeing Batman retired for a little while.  DC needs to start building some of their other characters.  If Marvel can do it I don't see why DC can't.  Starting over with Superman is a good start.  Hopefully Flash is in the lineup.