Author Topic: Superhero/Comics Movie Thread  (Read 165374 times)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I absolutely loved the new Spider-man.  Awesome movie.  Well worth seeing.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Saw THe Amazing spiderman.  Loved it!  I'd say it replaced Green lantern for my overall favorite hero move.  Although Amazing Spiderman was abetter done film overall.

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I just saw "The Amazing Spider-Man" and it was the best comic book adaptation I have seen since the first Christopher Reeve "Superman."  ( Andrew Garfield blew me away as Spidey, couldn't have found a better actor to play the part.)  I would really like to see it again.  Some of the other characters were momentary distractions as you recognized the actors, but that was soon forgotten...good job by all.  It is the little touches of humor both by the actors, and in the props...like a picture of Spidey's uncle (Martin Sheen) as a young man...that made this movie even more fun.

I think Sally Field (Spidey's aunt) is around my age, maybe a few years younger.   I  told my husband the question that replaces "does this outfit make me look fat?" is going  to be "do I look as old as she does?"   ;)  and he better come up with a good answer!

Anyway, I loved it!!
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
I loved the Amazing Spider-man. Already wondering which villain awaits in the sequel. The trend in comic book movies I'm loving is leaving teasers that get you excited for the next one as the credits roll.

It's made $200m so far. Not bad for a reboot. Pity Batman will be stealing the spotlight in a few days.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I saw the Avengers and will definitely see TDKR, but was planning on skipping Spider-Man.

But based on the reviews here, I may try to catch it this week.
CELTICS 2024

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
In regards to Dark Knight Rises.  I don't follow fan forums, but I have some theories that are probably correct and probably will be considered spoilers.  So don't read on if you don't want to be spoiled.

Well before they even green lit the third movie, it always made logical sense to me to bring back Liam Neeson's Ra's Al Ghul character and his ninja "league of shadows" for the last movie of the trilogy. He's a ninja... he could have easily escaped that train crash. And all the fans know that in the comics Ra's Al Ghul is immortal. Too easy for that not to happen. Nice shock moment for the movie and it ties everything together.

That said, in the first movie they combined the "Ra's Al Ghul" character with the character Henri Ducard http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Henri_Ducard ... Ducard was Neeson's first identity in "Batman Begins" before he reveals himself to be the real Ra's Al Ghul. In the comics, Ducard teaches a young Bruce how to be a detective. Ducard is French. We know that Marion Cotillard is playing some character called "Miranda Tate".  Marion Cotillard is French. Therefore, I'm guessing that Marion Cotillard  playing Ducard/Ra's Al Ghul's daughter... Talia Al Ghul (eventual love-interest to Bruce who has his son).

That's just my guess.  I also think it's possible Joseph Gordan Levitt could be some version of Nightwing (I remember Nolan saying they would never include Robin... but a Nightwing-esque character doesn't seem too off the table) and Batman might end up dying/have his back broken... but I came up with this independent of any fanboy forums.  SO i'm sorry if it's well established stuff.  I could see Bruce Wayne dying, but Batman "living on" (maybe that's the purpose of Gordon Levitt's character).

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I saw the Avengers and will definitely see TDKR, but was planning on skipping Spider-Man.

But based on the reviews here, I may try to catch it this week.
If you like the super hero genre, then you should definitely catch the new spidey.  I'm just glad I went on the 4th, so this weekend can be fully devoted to Batman.

fitzhickey

I can't wait for tdkr because it looks Awesome
Spidey was legendary and so was avenger

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Been reading reviews for Dark Knight Rises and they are good, but not great.  Lots of 3 stars and B ratings.  Most say the movie lacks focus and tries to be too much and doesn't have near enough Batman screen time (a lot of Wayne, not so much of Batman) and too much Bane (who is a weak villain as portrayed in the movie according to most of the reviews). 

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Spiderman hands down not even close.

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Avengers was the best Superhero movie of all time.

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Avengers was the best Superhero movie of all time.

Quoted for Truth.

DC had better get hot. Justice League - take notes.

Don't blow it.

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I read a whole book becoming Batman.  It was a nice read.   About how Batman would take years to get ready and only have 2-3 years before he got out of his prime.

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
A little off topic but an entertaining read.  The application of physics to Batman.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2012/07/comic-book-physics?fb_ref=scn%2Ffb_ec%2Fdown_to_earth&fb_source=profile_multiline

Haha..this reminds me of a lecture one of my Physics instructors gave us about The Avengers. He saw the movie and I believe he liked it.

He noted how funny it was to see Nick Fury at the beginning of the movie survive that drop from the sky.

BatMan (and Captain America to some extent) relate better to the laws of Physics.