Author Topic: Ray gone after this season S&T (speculation)  (Read 11373 times)

Ray gone after this season S&T (speculation)
« on: April 21, 2012, 06:58:20 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
If Ray really is gone (as has been rumored) what is the likely hood that he is used in a S&T? I searched quickly and haven't been able to find any precedent for an aged star being used in a S&T. Most S&Ts are stars looking to get max $ while jumping ship to new teams (lebron,Amare, etc).

If Ray is resigned for say 2 years at 6mill each. Who would be interested enough in his services to potentially give up worth while assets for him?

Would any teams do the following S&T (I find all very unlikely)

Ray to the bulls for resigned Asik?

Ray to the Thunder for Aldrich and Cook?

Ray to Memphis for resigned Mayo?

Ray to the Suns for Frye

Ray plus both 1sts and JJJ to Utah for Milsap?

« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 07:05:25 AM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Ray gone after this season S&T (speculation)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 07:18:38 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2975
to early to tell , sorta depends on how far the C's go , how Ray' ankle heals,  alot of things.  REvisit this in the summer . All the teams are focused on the playoffs. 

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 07:51:08 AM »

Offline Leeds

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
I really hope we re-sign  some of our guys

Allen
KG
Steimsma
Pietrus

I'm open to resigning Hollins and Daniels but  only if necessary, they can be easily replaced IMO

And ones I'd prefer i f we didn't re-sign
Dooling
Pavlovic

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 08:10:58 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I really hope we re-sign  some of our guys

Allen
KG
Steimsma
Pietrus

I'm open to resigning Hollins and Daniels but  only if necessary, they can be easily replaced IMO

And ones I'd prefer i f we didn't re-sign
Dooling
Pavlovic

Agreed here, but I won't resign Hollins. I'd rather take a draft pick and see what he can do.

I'd resign Sasha. I've been on record to say that Sasha can be the off the bench scorer for this team, just that he's not getting his shots. He also plays solid defense (not good, not bad either) and I'm pretty sure he can come in cheap. He knows the system already and relatively young still. It'll be a good signing, as long as it's not going to go over 2 million dollars.

If Ray does not re sign, give that money to Brandon Rush. Yeah I'll be driving this bandwagon all season long.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 12:37:49 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I can't see a S&T for Ray happening.  Only contenders would want him and they'd have to send something back.  I doubt they'd send anyone of value that would help us without hurting themselves.

Also, with Ray's bone spurs, age and declining effectiveness (as an all-around player), I don't see a contender that would offer him the full MLE much less 6 mill a year.

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 12:58:34 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I can't see a S&T for Ray happening.  Only contenders would want him and they'd have to send something back.  I doubt they'd send anyone of value that would help us without hurting themselves.

Also, with Ray's bone spurs, age and declining effectiveness (as an all-around player), I don't see a contender that would offer him the full MLE much less 6 mill a year.

He'll definitely get the MLE. Contenders would love having a shooter of his type.

Ainge is rumored to love this draft so perhaps Haslem, Miller, or Chalmers, plus a 1st rd pick could be enough. Remember this would allow the Heat to keep the MLE.

OKC could offer Sefolosha and a 1st for Allen.

LAC still has Bledsoe, which we supposedly covet. Perhaps Bledsoe for Allen gets it done. This would also give us a nice Trade Exception since we'll be sending more money out than coming in.

Just some options...

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 01:00:10 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

He'll definitely get the MLE. Contenders would love having a shooter of his type.

Ainge is rumored to love this draft so perhaps Haslem, Miller, or Chalmers, plus a 1st rd pick could be enough. Remember this would allow the Heat to keep the MLE.
The Heat lose their pick this year due to the Bosh/LeBron S&T, its complicated by who gets a pick when based on where Toronto/Cleveland end up in the lotter from what I understand.

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 01:10:49 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
You can't sign and trade before/during the draft anyways though correct?  If he wants to stay, offer him 3-5 million.  He's still a very good outside shooter and he can serve his role playing 20 minutes off the bench.  If he doesn't like that offer/role, just let him walk. 
do it

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 02:20:10 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I can't see a S&T for Ray happening.  Only contenders would want him and they'd have to send something back.  I doubt they'd send anyone of value that would help us without hurting themselves.

OKC could offer Sefolosha and a 1st for Allen.

LAC still has Bledsoe, which we supposedly covet. Perhaps Bledsoe for Allen gets it done. This would also give us a nice Trade Exception since we'll be sending more money out than coming in.

Just some options...
I don't disagree that contenders would want him, if he was completely healthy.  The thing is, he's not in light of these bone spurs.  I just don't see him getting MLE money.  He either has surgery to address it (so questions of how he'll recover) or live with it (so questions about how much he can play).

He's a spot up shooter at this point.  His D, while not awful, is ok if I'm being generous.  put him in a system where he doesn't have the rest of his teammates covering for him and you'll see him get exposed constantly.  
He rarely penetrates for baskets so he doesn't get to the line much where he'd really be an asset.  
His ballhandling is horrid.  he makes TA look like Rondo.
He doesn't grab many rebounds nor does he make a lot of steals.  

At this stage, someone that wants him is looking for that one skill he still has (on a good night and let's face it, he has a lot of not-so-good-nights too) which is shooting.

I'm fine with him going elsewhere as long as we can get a shooter for our bench for less money.  Preferably Pietrus who'll cost less, can hit outside shots, drives to the basket more frequently (head injury not withstanding) and plays much better defense at both wing positions.

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 02:33:26 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Probably will not happen, but there's a chance that Ray doesn't come back for the playoffs.  There's a chance we get swept in the 1st round.  If either or both of those things happen, we'll be kicking ourselves for not trading him when we had a chance.

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 02:51:38 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Probably will not happen, but there's a chance that Ray doesn't come back for the playoffs.  There's a chance we get swept in the 1st round.  If either or both of those things happen, we'll be kicking ourselves for not trading him when we had a chance.
If a meteor hits my apartment tonight I will also regret not having an ice cream sandwhich instead of going to the gym.

Injuries and upsets happen, there is rarely a case where you've made all the right moves in retrospect. Hindsight is awesome like that.

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 02:55:49 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
If Shane Battier and Chris Wilcox at his age can get a full mini-MLE then Ray is at the very least going to have a ton of offers at that level.

The full sized MLE would depend on what teams are below the luxury tax. I think he'd get offers like that for a single year, multiple years is far less likely.

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 02:57:49 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Probably will not happen, but there's a chance that Ray doesn't come back for the playoffs.  There's a chance we get swept in the 1st round.  If either or both of those things happen, we'll be kicking ourselves for not trading him when we had a chance.
If a meteor hits my apartment tonight I will also regret not having an ice cream sandwhich instead of going to the gym.

Injuries and upsets happen, there is rarely a case where you've made all the right moves in retrospect. Hindsight is awesome like that.

You know what guys? I think I'm gonna have an ice cream sandwich instead of going to the gym tonight.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 03:50:22 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Soooo, you want to be at your apartment when the meteor hits?  ???

I would think that'd be the one time you'd prefer being at the gym

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 03:53:45 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1772
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

You know what guys? I think I'm gonna have an ice cream sandwich instead of going to the gym tonight.

Bummer, I just got back from the gym. I wish I had read this thread earlier.

I am all for a sign and trade with Ray. I would love to have him come back for cheap, but if that's not a possibility, I think there are a number of options that would sure up our bench. We aren't trading Rondo, we are trading our 5th-7th best player.