Author Topic: I can't believe Danny tried to trade Pierce for Okur !  (Read 6006 times)

I can't believe Danny tried to trade Pierce for Okur !
« on: April 19, 2012, 06:51:00 PM »

Offline snowball

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47

As for the Nets deal -- Pierce for Mehmet Okur and a lottery pick -- Marshall said it was a proposal pushed by the Celtics but rejected by New Jersey.

"On the other side, the GM for the New Jersey Nets, from what I was told, said, 'I can't take Paul Pierce in this deal,' " said Marshall. "That deal -- at least from the people I talked to with the Nets organization -- [was] a move from our side, from the Celtics side, that kind of was pushing that movement along to get Paul Pierce there . . . " But Marshall said the notion of acquiring a Celtics legend made the Nets uneasy, and they backed off.
http://www.necn.com/04/19/12/Mayo-on-Celtics-I-dont-care-about-the-ba/landing_sports.html?blockID=692434&feedID=3352

---------
Danny - ????????????:-[

Re: I can't believe Danny tried to trade Pierce for Okur !
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 06:52:14 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
There is a thread about this already.
But just to put it in the right place, it was basically Pierce for lottery pick.

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 06:55:39 PM »

Offline Carhole

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 63
1st off Donny Marshal is about as reliable as Gary and 2nd Donny Marshal has a hair on his butt for PP for years.

Info from that guy has no credibility for me personally.

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 06:59:31 PM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • heart, hustle and muscle
I seriously hope Danny was playing truth or dare with someone and he had to make that call because of it.
When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 07:01:44 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Celtics would have done this deal for a lottery pick and $32 million in cap relief.  For a rebuilding team, I can understand the motivation.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 07:03:10 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
This would have been the worst trade in the history of basketball trades. There is no way to convince me that pierce's talent and legacy to boston is worth a lottery pick and an expiring contract, no way.

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 07:28:15 PM »

Offline Carhole

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 63
Doc shot it down pretty quickly on his interview this am (for what that is worth)

If the nets are really horrible and there was a chance at landing the #1 pick in lottery. I would have been really upset, but could see danny asking.

Glad it didnt happen though

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 07:32:31 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
This would have been the worst trade in the history of basketball trades. There is no way to convince me that pierce's talent and legacy to boston is worth a lottery pick and an expiring contract, no way.

I thought we would have been trading just Pierce. I didn't know we were also going to throw in his legacy too. Heck, maybe Dee Brown's legacy can net us a 2nd rounder.

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 07:48:25 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
The way it is reported, doesn't sound like it was too serious. You don't back down from acquiring a player like Pierce because of his status as a Celtics legend, if you are really talking about it. To me it sounds like Danny had heard that the Nets were trading their pick, and wondered if he could get a lottery pick for any of the big 3 (with Pierce as the only real trade asset to a non-contender). I think it would have been strange, if Ainge had NOT been on the phone, with the Nets dangling their pick as trade bait.

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 08:03:04 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Lordy :o   ...I get sick just thinking about this trade...

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 08:04:39 PM »

Offline jaybahs

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 27
Makes me wanna PUKE

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 08:06:15 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The Celtics would have done this deal for a lottery pick and $32 million in cap relief.  For a rebuilding team, I can understand the motivation.

Nailed it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 08:44:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's a big picture trade, kiddies.

We have 25 mil in cap space... which isn't enough to do anything other than bring back KG, Jeff Green and Bass.  Trading Pierce for an expiring contract + lotto pick would be huge for a rebuild.  Would have left us with 42 million in cap space to build around Rondo, Bradley, a lotto pick, our two late 1st rounders... and presumably if we traded Ray for OJ mayo and a pick, it would even look sweeter.  You'll look back at that, see the kind of talent was available with the lotto pick and probably go, "oh... I get it".  Kinda like when Boston tried trading Paul Pierce to the Blazers for an expiring contract and a draft pick... the pick would have been Chris Paul.  

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 11:55:09 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
that wasnt a trade for okur, it was a trade for a body and a shot at robinson, kidd-gilcrist, or any lottery player

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 12:00:10 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Pierce was a #10 pick himself, in a fairly shallow draft.

Why wouldn't you trade him at the end of his career for a top 10 pick in a deep draft?

Particularly when Danny Ainge is the one doing the picking...