Author Topic: Howard Refuses to Play for SVG (Report)  (Read 15982 times)

Howard Refuses to Play for SVG (Report)
« on: April 19, 2012, 12:12:10 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
WKMG in Orlando is reporting that Magic center Dwight Howard has called team owner Rich DeVos to tell him that he won't play for coach Stan Van Gundy anymore.

Howard missed his sixth straight game with a back injury Wednesday against the Celtics, and Van Gundy has already said that he is preparing for his big man to miss the rest of the season and the playoffs.

Howard is still upset that Van Gundy publicly said this month that Howard asked management to have him fired, sources told WKMG. According to the report, the 86-year-old DeVos took Howard's call in his suite at the Amway Center sometime during Friday's game against the Hawks.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7832334/report-orlando-magic-dwight-howard-says-play-stan-van-gundy

Talk about a major screw-job to that Franchise and fan base.  A fanchise player threatening to abondon the team in the playoffs.  I mean the Magic are kind of forced to fire SVG now aren't they? Might as well do what needs to be done at this point and pacify Howard for the time being as Van Gundy clearly won't be around at the end of the year.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:19:11 PM by jgod213 »

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

Re: Howard Refuses to Play for SVG (Report)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 12:14:40 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Usually Im not in favor of collusion, but Dwight is making a strong case for being amnestied and having nobody in the league pick him up. 

I mean if the NFL owners can Collude so can the NBA.  Have to get some power back from the star players.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 12:19:00 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Usually Im not in favor of collusion, but Dwight is making a strong case for being amnestied and having nobody in the league pick him up. 

I mean if the NFL owners can Collude so can the NBA.  Have to get some power back from the star players.

Even assuming 29 other owners are somehow unanimously willing to not even try to get the best center in the league at vet minimum, what happens when Howard and the players' union sue the league over the obvious collusion?  That new "power" will last about as long as the first judge to see the case.

And what happens when me and about 50,000 other fans mail a dump-in-a-box to Wyc for not claiming him?

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 12:20:06 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

it would never happen but if they could pull it off, it would send a message to the players for sure.  there's just 2 problems. (1) some owner would break ranks and sign DH.  (2) even if no owner did sign him, the owners would have a tough time disproving collusion even if they all stated they had no interest in a player that insists on running the team.

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 12:20:54 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
IF its true, wow
I've had some coaches I out & out hated but I would never give up on my teammates.  IF its true I wouldn't want howard on the celtics at all

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 12:21:49 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Im not saying it could happen im just saying its what DH deserves.  I guess when I think about the red sox problems I should look at orlando and be happy.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 12:23:07 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Howard has turned into one of the biggest punks in the league.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 12:26:16 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Absolutely scummy behavior by Howard, I can understand not rushing back if his back is a serious issue but this?

From another angle I wonder why this was leaked out. To pressure him into playing for the playoffs? That's the only motivation I can think of from an Orlando team source, either than tor setting him up as the bad guy so they can trade him during the offseason without their fan base freaking out.

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 12:26:33 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Considering Howard was nice to Orlando by guaranteeing them another year, I actually have no problem with this. If he really things SVG is the problem, tell the team to ditch him.

When you decide you want to keep a superstar and he agrees to it despite your lack of leverage, it is implicit that you are going to give them working conditions they find acceptable. Howard gives his body up on the court for his team and is by far their best player. They should get a coach he feels he can work with.

I don't see how what is actually reported means that Howard will refuse to play in the playoffs if healthy enough. This seems to be more relevant for next year. The report states Van Gundy is preparing for the possibility that Howard misses the playoffs. The OP misrepresents the article by placing bold on SVG's statement.

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 12:26:50 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
They actually kinda touched on it on WEEI yesterday, this is similar to what is happening on the Red Sox.  A player that is making 160 million over 7 years has infinitely more security than a manager making 2 million a year over 2 years, how can the manager keep them in line?

There really are only a few ways that this can happen, be a respected coach who has won championships, Doc, Pop, Carlisle, and others, or be a Coach/GM like Belichick.  

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 12:28:54 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
IF its true, wow
I've had some coaches I out & out hated but I would never give up on my teammates.  IF its true I wouldn't want howard on the celtics at all
Who is quitting on their team? Howard is out with a legitimate injury.

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 12:30:15 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
Considering Howard was nice to Orlando by guaranteeing them another year, I actually have no problem with this. If he really things SVG is the problem, tell the team to ditch him.

When you decide you want to keep a superstar and he agrees to it despite your lack of leverage, it is implicit that you are going to give them working conditions they find acceptable. Howard gives his body up on the court for his team and is by far their best player. They should get a coach he feels he can work with.

I don't see how what is actually reported means that Howard will refuse to play in the playoffs if healthy enough. This seems to be more relevant for next year. The report states Van Gundy is preparing for the possibility that Howard misses the playoffs. The OP misrepresents the article by placing bold on SVG's statement.

The timing is why this is a problem.  You can't just abandon your team in the playoffs like that - it's really unheard of (at least to do it publicily).  I don't understand why he can't just suck it up and make a last playoff run with the personel as is??  Clearly he's going to have all the power to make changes next year.

I thought part of Howard's motivation to stay in ORL was to save face? This is certainly him taking a step in the opposite direction.

DKC Utah Jazz

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 12:30:34 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
IF its true, wow
Who is quitting on their team? Howard is out with a legitimate injury.
The question is, could/can he play through it if he wanted to?

You are assuming that he can't play on it, he wouldn't be the first player to milk an injury for a coach he hates.

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 12:31:21 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

The timing is why this is a problem.  You can't just abandon your team in the playoffs like that - it's really unheard of (at least to do it publicily).  I don't understand why he can't just suck it up and make a last playoff run with the personel as is??  Clearly he's going to have all the power to make changes next year.

I thought part of Howard's motivation to stay in ORL was to save face? This is certainly him taking a step in the opposite direction.
I think this report was placed to put pressure on Dwight to play.

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 12:35:51 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell

"WKMG in Orlando is reporting that Magic center Dwight Howard has called team owner Rich DeVos to tell him that he won't play for coach Stan Van Gundy anymore."

That was the first parahraph in the article.  This is what is being reported by WKMG.  Maybe it was leaked to get him to play, but regardless it's being reported that Dwight called DeVos and said he's done until Van Gundy is gone.

DKC Utah Jazz