Author Topic: Avery Bradley, Bill Simmons, corner threes, wizardry  (Read 4880 times)

Avery Bradley, Bill Simmons, corner threes, wizardry
« on: April 19, 2012, 11:52:48 AM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
Said Simmons, on the 11th:  "All Bradley needs to do is learn how to shoot corner 3s and he'll have a 15-year NBA career and play a significant role for at least one contender."

Shoots Bradley on the 14th against the Nets: 3/4 from 3, all three made 3's were from the corner.
Shoots Bradley on the 15th against the Bobcats: 2/3 from 3, both made 3's from the corner.
Shoots Bradley on the 17th against the Knicks: 5/6 from 3, FIVE made 3's from the corner.

:o

Wizardry? Luck? Stopped clock is right twice a day? Those links go to the shot charts. See for yourself.

Re: Avery Bradley, Bill Simmons, corner threes, wizardry
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 12:27:29 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
OMG, can you guyzzz believe it, the most popular/widely read basketball writer can accurately analyze the sport and make predictions?

It's unthinkable!!

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 12:29:09 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
OMG, can you guyzzz believe it, the most popular/widely read basketball writer can accurately analyze the sport and make predictions?

It's unthinkable!!

I know you're being sarcastic...I just don't know why..

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 12:46:56 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

It's unthinkable!!

Because CB'ers are notorious for bashing Simmons as an idiot who knows nothing about hoops, every time he says something negative about the C's.  But here he said something positive, and it actually came true.  Now they will sing his praises as a genius.

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 12:50:22 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Because CB'ers are notorious for bashing Simmons as an idiot who knows nothing about hoops, every time he says something negative about the C's.  But here he said something positive, and it actually came true.  Now they will sing his praises as a genius.

I'm guessing the more common response will be "stopped clock, twice a day" kinds of answers.  Kind of like how Hollinger has us at #6 in his rankings now - it's a less disagreeable outcome, but it's not like people will suddenly stop believing he's a moron who doesn't watch any games and makes his formulas by farting on a calculator.

EDIT:  Also, "CBers" aren't, like, one guy - there's a bunch of people with different perspectives on things.  The folks bashing Simmons in the past and the people touting him now aren't necessarily the same.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:57:26 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 12:52:08 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
He's already better than Bruce Bowen at 21

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 12:52:21 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
I'll put you down for "wizardry", then.

I just think that the timing is funny, I am not a Simmons-hater. Avery Bradley has been playing all season long, and hit 20 threes so far this season. Literally ten of them were in the three games listed above. Half his threes, 5% of the games, conveniently timed right after it was proclaimed that he needed to learn how to shoot from the corner.

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 12:56:11 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I just think that the timing is funny, I am not a Simmons-hater. Avery Bradley has been playing all season long, and hit 20 threes so far this season. Literally ten of them were in the three games listed above. Half his threes, 5% of the games, conveniently timed right after it was proclaimed that he needed to learn how to shoot from the corner.

Yeah, Simmons was right on that one, though I think they'd already started to run Avery to the corners before this stretch, he just wasn't making them much. 

I was more impressed by the front page article here about Doc telling Bradley to focus on becoming a great cutter to the rim...in January.  Whatever the cause, kid seems very willing and able to learn.  Love watching his game blossom.

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 01:06:02 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Is the "he just needs to learn to shoot the corner three" suggestion really some sort of off-the-wall sage advice people are surprised by?

It's not like Simmons came up with this out of the blue.  At least since Bruce Bowen, any time there seems to be an all-defense, no-offense wing or guard, the advice is "teach him the corner three, and he'll be a useful player".  I'm surprised people are surprised by this; it's pretty much common sense.

What is perhaps surprising is that Bradley has become so good, so quickly at shooting that shot.  

EDIT:  I mean, here's an exchange from January where three CelticsBloggers are all talking about Bradley developing the corner three:

Quote from: LooseCannon
He can sit in the corner and generally not get in the way -- much like Tony Allen did for a large bulk of his time with the Celtics.

Bradley might have the skill to develop a shot from the corner, unlike TA.  It may take a couple of years before he learns to nail it often enough to be a three-and-D role player, though.

Agreed.  Saw him hit a nice three in the preseason I think it was.  If he added that corner 3 he would become Bruce Bowen esque.

Here's another one, almost word for word what Simmons said:

If he could somehow develop some passing proficiency at knocking down the corner three, he'd become a productive rotation player.

And yet another one, from December:

If he ever has to play in a game, I teach him to shoot the spot-up corner three.  Get over half court and go stand in a corner.  Shoot it if you get it.

Bam.

Teaching defensive players to shoot the corner three is common sense.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 01:13:10 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 01:07:15 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97

Actually, what Simmons said HASN'T come true.

All he said was that Bradley will be better if he develops a corner 3. He didn't say, "In a few games this kid will be shooting lights-out from the corner."

What he said wasn't even a prediction, or an analysis. It was just a statement. And we can't judge the accuracy of that statement until Bradley has had a 15 year career.

SO there.  :P

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 01:20:07 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
I'll put you down for "wizardry", then.

I am a huge Simmons hater. The guy flip flops more than Romney! When the Celtics played the Heat on April 10th one of the announcers (I think it was Hubie Brown) acknowledged how Avery Bradley is always the last guy in the gym working on his corner 3's until the ball-boys have had enough of feeding him the rock. The very next day Simmons talks about how Avery needs to develop a consistent shot from the corner. That's journalism today for you.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 01:24:14 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
Is the "he just needs to learn to shoot the corner three" suggestion really some sort of off-the-wall sage advice people are surprised by?
Hang on, let me check.

*scans thread*

Doesn't seem like it, no. Looks mostly like marveling at the timing, some sarcasm, and a touch of blanket statements about CB'ers. Also, maybe we need to get Inside-Out a job at ESPN.

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 01:25:58 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

It's unthinkable!!

Ah. Bill Simmons is still funny, Grantland is the stuff dreams are made of for your current-day 20-something basketball/culture nerd, and he still drives me absolutely nuts when he talks Celtics.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 01:39:54 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Its nice how the "stand in the corner guy" of the celtics offense can actually now hit those corner threes, and the team is actually looking to pass it there rather than let them stand in the corner and be obsolete.

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 01:43:25 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

It's unthinkable!!

nice pix in your signature. tp for making me happy with it.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva