Author Topic: What TV show should I watch?  (Read 15782 times)

What TV show should I watch?
« on: April 19, 2012, 05:33:18 AM »

Offline Doctor Doublechin

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
Hey guys, longtime reader, first time poster here.

I opened this thread to ask for TV show suggestions.

Here’s what I liked and disliked.

(Disclaimer: I’m European, so don’t make fun of my taste, please.)

Liked

My favorites are The Wire and Breaking Bad as far as crime shows go, and Community and the early seasons of How I Met Your Mother in comedy. I also liked the first two seasons of Glee (yeah, shame on me), but it just got kinda boring lately. I also think the first season of Walkind Dead was amazing, the second is kinda meh, but I still watched it. I also like Family Guy a lot, South Park - not so much.

Disliked

Even though I may be classified as a half-nerd/half basketball junkie, I don’t understand why so many people consider The Big Bang Theory such an awesome show. I didn’t find it particularly funny. Same with 2 and a half men, even with Charlie Sheen I just think that show is kinda dumb. (I don’t mind the occasional dumb show, My name is Earl had some hilarious parts.)

I don’t like the type of crime shows, that do a full investigation in one episode and have very little story over the course of a season. CSI, Bones, Criminal Minds, Castle, Fringe are not my type of show. Game of Thrones would have been nice since I’m into fantasy, but I read the books first (which were awesome by the way), and compared to them the show disappoints. I like mystery (like the X-files), maybe I should try Supernatural? Lost was a bit over the top though.

So that’s that. Please tell me what I should watch. Any meaningful suggestion is much appreciated.

Re: What TV show should I watch?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 06:44:24 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
1)Band of brothers (mini series but i guess qualifies D:)
2)new girl (zoey is amazing , there series not so)
3)house (how can anyone not watch it?? especialy the first 3-4 seasons
4)Arrested developent

(I don`t know if you are only looking for running series though)

at the moment i also watch Borgias ,recently i`ve discovered The good wife and i liked it.

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 07:18:00 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Dr D  for taste my likes are similar to yours and dislikes nearly identical.

I will 2nd some of Ederson's  picks --drama: Band Of Brothers, and The Good Wife (premise sounds like a soap opera but the writing is exceptional, should be watched like the Wire from the beginning and each episode sequentially) and add: Justified, first season very good, 2nd season great and Parenthood (my wife loves it  I like it).

Comedy-- you cannot beat Arrested Development, if the Wire is the best dramatic series this may be the best comedy.  A recently discovered quality sitcom for me on Netflix has been Sports Night.. Aaron Sorkin from the late '90's, first few episodes are slow but they find their pace.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 07:31:09 AM by feckless »
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 07:44:40 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
In terms of drama / crime shows, I enjoy Justified.  It's just really great acting, with well-drawn characters.  I've heard The Killing and Mad Men are both excellent, but I've never really watched either.

In terms of comedies, my wife and I enjoy New Girl and Modern Family.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 08:02:38 AM »

Offline Las Vegas Asian

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6
The League(about a group of friends in a fantasy football league)is quite possibly one of the funniest shows I've seen in a long time. You'll probably enjoy it more if you're into the NFL, but I know people who like it that aren't fans of American football.

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 08:24:07 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Sons of Anarchy!

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 08:36:01 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Sons of Anarchy!
agreed, SOA is great.

Also agree with Modern Family and Mad Men mentioned previously.

I love Big Bang Theory, just too funny.  Mike & Molly is pretty good for comedy too.

Shows I like that aren't mentioned: The Walking Dead, Touch, Awake and The River (season's over but very Lost-like).  For pay cable, Boardwalk Empire and True Blood. 

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 08:38:15 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
In terms of Drama, I agree on band of brothers, also if you havent seen it when it was on, I would recomend The West Wing, that was pretty solid.

For Comedies, I am partial to parks and recreation, and rules of engagement.  Those shows make me laugh 100% of the time.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 08:57:08 AM »

Offline Doctor Doublechin

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
Guys, thanks a lot for the suggestions. I'm pretty sure I can't handout TPs, but I would, if I could.

I was contemplating Sons of Anarchy for a while now, and I'll give the others a try as well.

(Oh yeah, and I did watch the first few seasons of House. It was great.)

Go Celtics!

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 09:18:52 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Sopranos
Homeland
Game of Thrones
Sons of Anarchy
Underbelly (Australian drama based on the Australian mafia and drug wars in the 90's- one of the best series you'll ever watch).
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 09:23:39 AM »

Offline yelkao

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 17
Twin Peaks
Arrested Development
Breaking Bad

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 09:24:35 AM »

Offline jsingh1699

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 16
without question, game of thrones. brilliantly written and the cliffhangers at the end of some of the episodes are just sooo good.

also agree with an earlier post about the show the league. some episodes are kind of ehh, but then some make it one of the funniest shows on tv.

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 09:56:29 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
Supernatural is a solid show on the whole, but you do need to start from the beginning.

A new show of a similar ilk to Supernatural is Grimm, which is actually quite good. 

If you like Glee, you might like Smash, which is about the making of a Broadway musical.  It is pretty entertaining in the fun sort of way and it isn't over the top soapy like it could have been.

Modern Family is the best live action comedy on at the moment and it should translate well to any country. 

I am a big fan of the Borgias and the Big C on Showtime, which just started their next seasons.  Episodes and Weeds are good fun, and will be back on this summer.

I am a huge fan of the shows that air on the USA network.  Burn Notice, White Collar, Covert Affairs, Suits, In Plain Sight, Necessary Roughness, Fairly Legal, Pysch, and Royal Pains (I think that is all of them except for the new one Common Law, which starts in a few weeks).  If you have never watched any of those, I would check them out.  The network on the whole has very character driven shows and the characters tend to be pretty unique.  I'd probably start with Burn Notice, which has been around the longest and IMO is their best show.  Lots of action, humor, and drama and each season has an underlying theme that is explored each episode even while they have the side plot stories that last only an episode or two.   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 10:46:08 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
My favorite shows churning out new stuff right now are

Grimm
Community
South Park
Fringe (you don't think they have an over-arching storyline?)
Supernatural
Game of Thrones (also read the books first, but there just isn't anything as awesome as Dinklage's Tyrion out there)
30 Rock

Favorite stuff on hiatus:
Justified

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 11:08:57 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Raising Hope is the best sitcom out there.