Author Topic: Hollinger picks Bradley for 1st team all defense, but leaves Rondo off?  (Read 9375 times)

Re: Hollinger picks Bradley for 1st team all defense, but leaves Rondo off?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 06:56:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
he gambles enough. Its not only that he has raw abilities to rebound well, but also once he thinks a shot will be taken, leaves his man a sec faster than any other pg would, to crash the boards. Again this could be a detriment if rondo guesses wrong, because the pg will now be free to receive a pass, but also a surplus bc you got an extra body to help grab a rebound.

In general he plays sound zone defense. He will never stick or focus on his own man completely and while chasing them, will try to swat balls from other players, try to anticipate a steal and also action the example above.

If you play like this, at times definitely you will get burnt. Rondo just is a sneaky player and doesn't nearly get as much burned as he should.

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 06:56:25 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
It's that 3rd team that strikes me as the most off. Conley's a nice ball-hawk, but he's too small too make much of an impact. Rondo's length alone makes him a more effective defensive player, and there's other guys I'd prefer there too: Rose, Westbrook and Lowry come to mind; then there are bench guys like Eric Bledsoe and Iman Shumpert that can make a big impact. 

Ronnie Brewer's nice but there are guys I like better defensively at the 2: D-Wade for one, not the most dedicated on-ball guy but a big defensive presence with his ball-hawking, rebounding and shot-blocking.  Thabo Sefalosha and Paul George are more imposing defenders as well. 

Grant Hill over Shawn Marion, Paul Pierce, Shane Battier, LRMAM, Gerald Wallace, even Artest... I just don't see it.  I think Hill's just serviceable at this point in his career.  Not enough quickness left.

I'd take Omer Asik over Ibaka too. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 09:00:13 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Rondo gambles but he's really cut down this season, he's playing more solid defense because he knows Boston is weak on the backside.

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 10:42:53 AM »

Offline Capricious

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 15
Rondo doesn't gamble - he funnels his man into the help then tries to poke it from behind.

He doesn't arbitrarily let his man by him so he can do a low percentage poke like some of you believe.

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 10:48:59 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Rondo doesn't gamble - he funnels his man into the help then tries to poke it from behind.

He doesn't arbitrarily let his man by him so he can do a low percentage poke like some of you believe.

Well.. to be fair you said he does one thing, then in the next sentence you said he doesn't do that. 

Rondo has stopped doing that as of late.  Bradley is inspiring Rondo to play real defense again and I like it.

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 10:50:18 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Well.. to be fair you said he does one thing, then in the next sentence you said he doesn't do that. 

That's pretty funny.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 10:53:19 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I just think Rondo gets picked off by screens, it happens. Bradley is much better at fighting through them, that doesn't make Rondo bad.

My thought is that perhaps Rondo's unadjusted on/off defensive numbers isn't about Rondo. Rather if he's out Bradely has been in at the PG position, so it could just be saying Bradley is that awesome of a defensive 1.

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 11:05:44 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Interesting choices by Hollinger... i like the Conley pick, he is a very underated defender and I like seeing him get credit... But Rubio on 2nd team? Yeah no way. Very surprised to see Bradley get recognition.

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 11:14:30 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I just think Rondo gets picked off by screens, it happens. Bradley is much better at fighting through them, that doesn't make Rondo bad.

My thought is that perhaps Rondo's unadjusted on/off defensive numbers isn't about Rondo. Rather if he's out Bradely has been in at the PG position, so it could just be saying Bradley is that awesome of a defensive 1.

Rondo was playing about 40 minutes a game at the beginning of the year when KG looked like he was in his 40s and PP was dealing with his heel injuries and Bradley was probably playing 5 minutes a game then. That had a lot to do with Rondo's overall numbers. Bradley does better against bigger players (sg) than Rondo but isn't any better against pgs.

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 11:16:14 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Rondo was playing about 40 minutes a game at the beginning of the year when KG looked like he was in his 40s and PP was dealing with his heel injuries and Bradley was probably playing 5 minutes a game then. That had a lot to do with Rondo's overall numbers. Bradley does better against bigger players (sg) than Rondo but isn't any better against pgs.
He's played 36 MPG while our defense has been on fire too, I don't think the early games where the C's were poor defensively would skew such a large overall minute sample as much as you imply.

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 11:23:18 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

He's played 36 MPG while our defense has been on fire too, I don't think the early games where the C's were poor defensively would skew such a large overall minute sample as much as you imply.

That was over a quarter of the games that Rondo's played this year. How much larger would that number have to be to skew his stats?

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 11:58:25 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Not sure why the OP relates the 2 players in the title as if Rondo is obviously more worthy than Bradley. Bradley has been ridiculous and looks worthy based on this season.

Rondo is tough to evaluate. Our defense used to be greatly predicated on Rondo's ball pressure leading the opponent to start their offense later in the shot clock. This season, Bradley has been the star putting pressure on the ball, which makes Rondo seem less impressive by comparison.

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 12:22:13 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Not sure why the OP relates the 2 players in the title as if Rondo is obviously more worthy than Bradley. Bradley has been ridiculous and looks worthy based on this season.

Rondo is tough to evaluate. Our defense used to be greatly predicated on Rondo's ball pressure leading the opponent to start their offense later in the shot clock. This season, Bradley has been the star putting pressure on the ball, which makes Rondo seem less impressive by comparison.

Rondo doesn't pressure the ball as much as Bradley but his overall defense has been just as impressive.

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 12:22:47 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

That was over a quarter of the games that Rondo's played this year. How much larger would that number have to be to skew his stats?

Those games still counted, and after the initial 10 or so game stretch we've been the best defensive team in the league.

Meanwhile Rondo's minutes per game have held pretty steady overall, your assertion that he played huge minutes really isn't true. Rondo when in the line up at all always has played big minutes this year.

By now the numbers should have reflected that but they haven't. He and Ray Allen are the only heavy rotation players who have a negative on/off court number defensively. That means something, my guess is that it means that Bradley (Rondo's backup) and Pietrus/Bradley/whomever (Ray's backup) play better defense than them.

Now it could be that the backups play more of their overall minutes with KG than Rondo does, but given his sub patterns I don't think that's true.

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2012, 12:30:26 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Those games still counted, and after the initial 10 or so game stretch we've been the best defensive team in the league.

Meanwhile Rondo's minutes per game have held pretty steady overall, your assertion that he played huge minutes really isn't true. Rondo when in the line up at all always has played big minutes this year.

By now the numbers should have reflected that but they haven't. He and Ray Allen are the only heavy rotation players who have a negative on/off court number defensively. That means something, my guess is that it means that Bradley (Rondo's backup) and Pietrus/Bradley/whomever (Ray's backup) play better defense than them.

Now it could be that the backups play more of their overall minutes with KG than Rondo does, but given his sub patterns I don't think that's true.

I'd say that Rondo, out of all of the rotation, played the highest percentage of his minutes at the beginning of the year. And at the time his defensive on/off numbers were pretty good at the time. Bradley's individual numbers are comparable to Rondo's, not really better.