Author Topic: Hollinger picks Bradley for 1st team all defense, but leaves Rondo off?  (Read 9394 times)

Re: Hollinger picks Bradley for 1st team all defense, but leaves Rondo off?
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2012, 02:56:14 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
For someone who pays attention to more Knicks games than i do -- is Ty Chandler really playing at such an elite defensive level?

He must be having an outstanding season considering the field in Smith/Howard/Garnett/James
He's having a similar year to last year, very impressive. When he's out of the game the Knicks can't buy a rebound.

Wow. Just took a brief look at his numbers.  He's having a heck of a season.  Pretty amazing considering the turmoil over there.  Guess he's been the buoy that's kept them afloat.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2012, 03:18:03 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
you guys continue to use these on/off stats when a more reliable, less dependant on variables. stat is readily available. Rondo's defensive numbers on synergy are spectacular. His and Avery's are right in line with each other and are both better than guys like Westbtook, Rubio, etc.
http://www.mysynergysports.com/?lid=corpSite

My dog's better than your dog, my dog's better than yours...

Thanks for the link, though, much appreciated. I keep thinking I'd like to check out the synergy stats myself but never go look for it so TP for making my life easier.

That said, when the PPP measure on synergy ranks Brandon Bass as the best defensive player on the Celtics (0.66 v. 0.7 for Bradley, 0.74 for Rondo and KG, 0.76 for Pietrus, 0.77 for Pierce), you have to admit all the stats are subject to interpretation and qualification. None are infallible. And superiority depends on the purposes for which it's being used.

As far as the "SG as PG" on the All Defensive team, I don't think it matters. Really, when it comes to defense, it doesn't break down to PG, SG, SF, PF, C anymore. Really, it's on-ball (both Rondo and Bradley can fall in this category), perimeter (Pierce and Pietrus, guys like Deng, Lebron and Wade) and big (KG, Chandler, Howard, Perk, Ibaka all go in this group) defenders. Rondo might be the offensive point guard, but in many matchups, Bradley is the guy defending the point. Distinguishing by perimeter and on-ball as opposed to guard and forward might help more of the best players make the first team. One of each has to be there to make sure that position is represented, then the next two best players. So if it ends up with 1 big, 3 perimeter and 1 on-ball, or any other 1-1-3 or 1-2-2 combination, so be it.

For me, I'd go Rondo, Iguodala and Lebron, KG and Chandler on my first team. CP3, TA and Deng, Ibaka and Howard on my second team. I like guys like Taj Gibson, but if you're not playing major minutes against starters, I don't think you should be in the running. That's why as great as TA was defensively while here, I don't really think he belonged in the conversation until he started playing heavier minutes in Memphis. Bradley spent more than half his season playing mostly against reserves. In his current role, he's All-Defense, but hasn't played there long enough to belong on the team yet in my opinion, even though I do think he is the Celtics' second best defensive player, behind only KG.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2012, 03:42:23 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
you guys continue to use these on/off stats when a more reliable, less dependant on variables. stat is readily available. Rondo's defensive numbers on synergy are spectacular. His and Avery's are right in line with each other and are both better than guys like Westbtook, Rubio, etc.
http://www.mysynergysports.com/?lid=corpSite

My dog's better than your dog, my dog's better than yours...

Thanks for the link, though, much appreciated. I keep thinking I'd like to check out the synergy stats myself but never go look for it so TP for making my life easier.

That said, when the PPP measure on synergy ranks Brandon Bass as the best defensive player on the Celtics (0.66 v. 0.7 for Bradley, 0.74 for Rondo and KG, 0.76 for Pietrus, 0.77 for Pierce), you have to admit all the stats are subject to interpretation and qualification. None are infallible. And superiority depends on the purposes for which it's being used.

As far as the "SG as PG" on the All Defensive team, I don't think it matters. Really, when it comes to defense, it doesn't break down to PG, SG, SF, PF, C anymore. Really, it's on-ball (both Rondo and Bradley can fall in this category), perimeter (Pierce and Pietrus, guys like Deng, Lebron and Wade) and big (KG, Chandler, Howard, Perk, Ibaka all go in this group) defenders. Rondo might be the offensive point guard, but in many matchups, Bradley is the guy defending the point. Distinguishing by perimeter and on-ball as opposed to guard and forward might help more of the best players make the first team. One of each has to be there to make sure that position is represented, then the next two best players. So if it ends up with 1 big, 3 perimeter and 1 on-ball, or any other 1-1-3 or 1-2-2 combination, so be it.

For me, I'd go Rondo, Iguodala and Lebron, KG and Chandler on my first team. CP3, TA and Deng, Ibaka and Howard on my second team. I like guys like Taj Gibson, but if you're not playing major minutes against starters, I don't think you should be in the running. That's why as great as TA was defensively while here, I don't really think he belonged in the conversation until he started playing heavier minutes in Memphis. Bradley spent more than half his season playing mostly against reserves. In his current role, he's All-Defense, but hasn't played there long enough to belong on the team yet in my opinion, even though I do think he is the Celtics' second best defensive player, behind only KG.
preciate you checking out the synergy stats. While the ppp stat does rely on several factors, i feel like ppp in isolation situations, % scored against in iso, and fg% against in isolation situations are very indicative of how good an individual defender a player is, since they do not take into account help defense and what not.