Author Topic: Marbury Getting life sized Bronze Statue  (Read 7917 times)

Marbury Getting life sized Bronze Statue
« on: April 10, 2012, 03:20:29 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Thats right people, StarBury is getting immortalized in bronze.

http://deadspin.com/5900717/stephon-marbury-is-getting-a-statue-in-china

From Deadspin:

Stephon Marbury Is Getting A Statue In China

Stephon Marbury, the biggest import to hit China since opium, may or may not be elevated to Beijing City God soon. After leading the Beijing Ducks to the CBA championship, but not being eligible for an MVP award, fans wanted some way to honor their hero. They've found it: a massive bronze statue of Marbury, holding aloft the trophy.

My apologies if this has been posted, but i saw that on deadspin and had a spontaneous 2 minute laughing fit, thought i'd share.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 06:39:42 PM by Redz »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Re: Marbury Getting life sized Bronze Staute
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 03:22:33 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
That's awesome.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 03:29:56 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
More than a million fans voted for the pose, with "holding trophy" barely beating out "taking big dump." It's still in clay form, but the thing should be bronzed and ready in a month's time.

Aaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha.  You can't make this stuff up!

....right?

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 03:39:10 PM »

Offline kg is king

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • KG IS THE KING
Good for him. He really has turned it around since going over seas. Great story of someone from the projects of Coney Island rising to fame.
"I'm from the bottom, I understand what it's like to have and to not have. My perception on giving is to put yourself in those people's shoes and go from there. So that's what I did. " - The One and Only KG

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 03:57:58 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
Good for him. He really has turned it around since going over seas. Great story of someone from the projects of Coney Island rising to fame.

I mean, it's nice he won but in what way has he "turned it around?" He still seems just as arrogant and crazy as ever, the difference is he now plays in a league where he is far and away the best player.

After they won, A SI reporter called him and wanted to do a piece on the win and turn around he's had. Marbury reportedly told him to get stuffed unless SI was going to give him the cover.

Sounds like the same ego centric guy to me, the difference is he now plays in a glorified rec league.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 04:00:53 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
It's good for race relations as well. China used to have a racism problem against black people. Now that basketball is the most popular sport in China, things have very much changed for the better.

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 04:16:08 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
It's good for race relations as well. China used to have a racism problem against black people. Now that basketball is the most popular sport in China, things have very much changed for the better.

The Hoyas disagree with you

www.youtube.com/watch?v=waQlUVtFvWs

(actually I have no idea if that had anything to do with racism or what was going on during the game, but it definitely looks like there is some hate on that Chinese team).

But the Marbury thing is still a cool story.  Go to China Anotine!

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 05:05:40 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
But the Marbury thing is still a cool story.  Go to China Antoine!

Wasn't a big fan of Marbury.  But he's to be congratulated on dedicating himself to excelling in a strange place.  Marbury looks chisled and grateful for the opportunity.

Antoine appears to be playing just to play.  If he wanted to excel....He'd get in shape.  Really doesn't matter whether he's in Idaho or China.  If he's in his 30s and overweight, he's not going to be successful anywhere.

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 05:24:55 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I absolutely do not believe it.

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 05:48:07 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119

I mean, it's nice he won but in what way has he "turned it around?" He still seems just as arrogant and crazy as ever, the difference is he now plays in a league where he is far and away the best player.

After they won, A SI reporter called him and wanted to do a piece on the win and turn around he's had. Marbury reportedly told him to get stuffed unless SI was going to give him the cover.

Sounds like the same ego centric guy to me, the difference is he now plays in a glorified rec league.

I'd do the exact same thing.  The american media is who ran him out of the NBA.  There's not a chance in the world that Keyon Dooling is a better player than Stephon...but guess who's still hanging around the league?

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 05:57:06 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Too funny......gee they are hard up for heros .

Maybe we send mR dRoolIng....to China

for bucket of rice.

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 06:14:19 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

I'd do the exact same thing.  The american media is who ran him out of the NBA.  There's not a chance in the world that Keyon Dooling is a better player than Stephon...but guess who's still hanging around the league?

no, chucking up shots while playing no defense, along with a break down live on the internet where he made himself unmarketable and a huge risk for a team ran him out of the league.

Oh, and being heavily involved in the knicks sex scandal probley didn't result in too many teams beating a path to his escalade either.

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 06:35:51 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
Marbury was a constant joke among nba players, who laughed for hours at every youtube clip where he opened his mouth.

I had unpublished audio of Marbury recording a commercial his rookie year that was pretty funny, but I didn't post it. I didn't want to pile on a guy who was clearly having mental problems.

The best thing about the China win is the boost of self-esteem for this recovering dooooche.