Author Topic: Season of Giants: Bill and Wilt  (Read 3856 times)

Season of Giants: Bill and Wilt
« on: April 10, 2012, 08:21:27 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

Really cool article, I love how Russ can tell a story. Especially how he says that he can't see a player in today's NBA that would be able to hold Wilt down. That's quite a compliment and it's courtesy of the winningest NBA player/coach ever. That says a lot. Too bad there's no footage of all the battles they endured against each other back then. It must've been a joy to watch.

Re: Season of Giants: Bill and Wilt
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 04:26:32 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Bumpity-bump.

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 04:48:28 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I really enjoy those history articles on NBA.com. I wish they'd do more of them.

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 04:58:42 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Good read, I liked these words from Tommy:

"I still think Russell was the greatest player to play the game because of his impact. What he did couldn't be recorded in statistics. He changed the game and he made people change their offense. Other teams actually had a 'Russell offense.' How do you measure a guy not wanting to take a shot against him? It's not a block. It's not a shot attempt. It's not a miss. But that's what was going on. He intimidated the other team and he was the consummate winner.

And I liked the discussion between Wilt and Russell talking about who the best rebounder was.  :)

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 06:17:05 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I read something one time that said Wilt could really do anything he wanted on the court. That article mentions Walt Bellamy coming into the league as a rookie and averaging 31.6 a game, more then any rookie ever not named Wilt. What it doesnt say is that the first time Bellamy met Wilt he walked up and offered to shake his hand and Wilt told him 'you wont get a shot off in the first half" and then Wilt blocked his first 10 shot attempts (all he took in the first half). Then when thte second half began he told Bellamy, " now you can play". Wilt was the best strongest player and best athlete to ever play professional basketball. Those are not my words but came directly from none other then K.C. Jones. For all of you younger guys read some on Chambelain, you will be amazed.