Author Topic: Anyone watched Ryan Anderson?  (Read 4940 times)

Anyone watched Ryan Anderson?
« on: April 09, 2012, 10:11:29 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I know he's been mentioned as a Kevin Love "light" option for the Cs, but can anyone who has watched him give any insight into his unconventional game? Just how light is he by comparison?

Here's a PF who is leading the league in 3PT made by 33 makes, while still shooting over 41%. For perspective, he shoots threes a full 50% MORE often than Ray Allen and still makes that percentage. Meanwhile, and I have no idea how this is possible, but he has more offensive rebounds per 40 than Dwight Howard (and just slightly less overall), despite spending most of his time on the perimeter on the same team as Howard (!).   I've heard that he has Howard to thank for opening up the 3PT shots, but then why is he so much more productive than Nelson, Turkoglu or Redick have ever been?

Wouldn't a big man who produces the most easy 3PT trips of anyone in the league fit in well on a team focused on efficiency at the offensive end?  Couldn't we use 3 or 4 offensive rebounds per night (or would that change completely in Boston's system)? Is he that bad of a defender compared to Bass (+/- when they were teammates says just a little worse)?

Like I said, I haven't really watched him, only looked at the numbers. It seems like this is a guy who gives you tons of easy offense (which is a big asset on a team that focuses on great defense and efficient offense) and a bunch of extra possessions (offensive rebounds + no turnovers).

What say you?

Re: Anyone watched Ryan Anderson?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 10:18:23 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think it's funny that when I saw the thread title I thought 'Kevin love lite'

And that was your opening sentence.

I don't think that Anderson likes the Dwight Howard drama at all, or much about the magic organization aside from SVG.

I also don't think that when his pay day comes we want to be paying it. He's way more useful as a bargain, and a bargain he won't be come contract time.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 10:21:12 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Not even a quarter the player love is.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 10:24:31 PM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
that being said, the reason he gets the easy looks at the 3pt line is that his man will stay off him  and camp under the rim to double team howard so he doesnt get the rebound or put back, then one of the wings usually comes over to guard him and the height disparity shows sometimes.

Wouldnt mind him, wouldnt love him. I find stretch 4's rather annoying, your a big guy, big guys need to be at the rim for rebounds.

That being said, KG now i dont hate, he is just saving his body from getting banged up underneath the basket around the bigger guys.

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 11:59:23 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I've been an advocate of getting Ryan Anderson, if possible, and see $9-12m/year as a reasonable price range.

I love a good stretch four who actually makes his threes at a high rate and think that kind of player paired with KG up front would create the sort of offense that would maximize Rondo's usefulness.  I love his shot selection.  According to basketball-reference.com, through April 3, he took 636 shots.  185 at the rim, 363 beyond the arc, only 36 long twos from 15 feet or further.  Even as a rookie in New Jersey, 88% of his shots came either at the rim or from three-point range.  If you take his time as a 20-year-old rookie for the Nets as a baseline, his stats look like a normal progression of player improving as he gains experience, so I think that those who say he is a product of Orlando's system are wrong.  This is a kid who would thrive anywhere.

From what I've read, he is often described as a high BBIQ player, so he seems capable of grasping the Celtics playbook, and he is described as having a good work ethic.  His three-point proficiency obscures that he is capable of driving to the basket and posting up, so he has an inside as well as an outside offense.

Overall, I expect him to be capable of better numbers than he is putting up now if he finds himself somewhere other than Orlando next season.  I'd take him over Javale McGee, Roy Hibbert, Eric Gordon, or Deron Williams.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 12:32:43 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
that being said, the reason he gets the easy looks at the 3pt line is that his man will stay off him  and camp under the rim to double team howard so he doesnt get the rebound or put back, then one of the wings usually comes over to guard him and the height disparity shows sometimes.

Wouldnt mind him, wouldnt love him. I find stretch 4's rather annoying, your a big guy, big guys need to be at the rim for rebounds.

That being said, KG now i dont hate, he is just saving his body from getting banged up underneath the basket around the bigger guys.

I agree Howard helps on the 3s, but it's worth looking at Rashard Lewis' numbers alongside him. Lewis was a 20PPG guy known for this 3PT shot, right around 40% for Seattle in his prime. Came to Orlando and made only slightly more alongside Howard. Outshooting Lewis in his prime is pretty impressive for a PF, considering Anderson can actually rebound too.

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 12:35:48 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff

Anderson would arguably be the best rebounder on the Celtics... similar totals to Garnett right now with a lot more of them offensive. Howard may give him some extra open looks, but I bet he also takes away a defensive rebound or three. 9RPG with 3+ offensive would be realistic I think.

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 01:18:11 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
See i dunno. I can look at it from 2 view points.

He fits in to the take a jump shot type player which the celtics have been over the past couple of years, never a great rebounding team and play half court ball.

Id much rather see a big physical presence at the 4/5 that scores the ball in the paint or takes closer shots. I think with the type of PG rondo is thats what you want. Have our wings as guys that can score the ball from pretty much anywhere on the floor. and then have our bigs as interior players

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 01:58:24 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Id much rather see a big physical presence at the 4/5 that scores the ball in the paint or takes closer shots. I think with the type of PG rondo is thats what you want. Have our wings as guys that can score the ball from pretty much anywhere on the floor. and then have our bigs as interior players

I like Rondo better with four guys who can spread the floor.  Based on who he has run out there at the end of games, I think Doc likes that idea, too.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 02:18:34 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown

I like Rondo better with four guys who can spread the floor.  Based on who he has run out there at the end of games, I think Doc likes that idea, too.

I agree as well, it has worked the past couple of years and i think it could still work for as long as rondo runs the point.

My viewpoint was coming from that ridiculous start of the season last year where Rondo racked up 80 odd assists in 5 games (or somewhere along those lines). Granted yes it was Shaq but a 38 year old Shaq. A presence like that could finish strong at the rim just makes it that much more scary and the chance for defensive and offensive rebounds if the big guys live closer to the rim.

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 03:50:08 AM »

Offline ausbacker

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
I know he's been mentioned as a Kevin Love "light" option for the Cs, but can anyone who has watched him give any insight into his unconventional game? Just how light is he by comparison?

Here's a PF who is leading the league in 3PT made by 33 makes, while still shooting over 41%. For perspective, he shoots threes a full 50% MORE often than Ray Allen and still makes that percentage. Meanwhile, and I have no idea how this is possible, but he has more offensive rebounds per 40 than Dwight Howard (and just slightly less overall), despite spending most of his time on the perimeter on the same team as Howard (!).   I've heard that he has Howard to thank for opening up the 3PT shots, but then why is he so much more productive than Nelson, Turkoglu or Redick have ever been?

Wouldn't a big man who produces the most easy 3PT trips of anyone in the league fit in well on a team focused on efficiency at the offensive end?  Couldn't we use 3 or 4 offensive rebounds per night (or would that change completely in Boston's system)? Is he that bad of a defender compared to Bass (+/- when they were teammates says just a little worse)?

Like I said, I haven't really watched him, only looked at the numbers. It seems like this is a guy who gives you tons of easy offense (which is a big asset on a team that focuses on great defense and efficient offense) and a bunch of extra possessions (offensive rebounds + no turnovers).

What say you?
Anderson is an impressive perimeter shooter, but, the Celtics need a more imposing figure in the paint. Anderson doesn't offer that style of game.

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 07:16:56 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I take caution in signing a guy that  has only done it for 1 year, and that was contract year.

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 07:24:25 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
I take caution in signing a guy that  has only done it for 1 year, and that was contract year.

People say his production is bumped up the same amount as his minutes have.

I agree with everyone else. It depends on the price but he's definitely a solid player.

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 09:09:12 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
You guys seriously want Raef Lafrentz Jr?

Anderson is a shooter and is p--- poor on defense.

Maybe for a bench player at the right price but no thanks other than that.

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 09:12:58 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I would like him on the Celtic, but I think he is likely going to be overpayed. 

He is a newer version of Troy Murphy, though I think he is a better team defender.  Troy Murphy was that good player that ended up being overpayed.