Author Topic: UConn Banned from Postseason Play (2013)  (Read 4821 times)

UConn Banned from Postseason Play (2013)
« on: April 09, 2012, 01:18:36 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Due to poor academic performance, the UConn Huskies will be banned from postseason play for the 2013 season.  This includes BOTH the Big East & NCAA Tournament.

This ban comes on the heels of the newly introduced academic progress rate (APR) rule.  UConn failed to meet the standards set by the rule from 2007-2011.  Essentially, too many players transferred out of or failed to graduate from UConn.

Link here:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/18325360/uconn-banned-from-postseason-in-2013-due-to-poor-academic-standing

The biggest impact of the NCAA's relatively new Academic Progress Rate (APR) rule has hit one of the most influential programs in college basketball. After many appeals and multiple months of stalling, the NCAA's Committee on Academic Performance (CAP), for the final time, denied UConn's request to not be banned from the postseason for one year.

The verdict means UConn is ineligible not only for the 2013 Big East tournament, but also the NCAA tournament. Yes, really. This action isn't unprecedented -- the NCAA brought the hammer on SWAC schools last year -- but it has never been implemented on a program as powerful as Connecticut's until now.

In basic terms, UConn's APR did not meet the criteria required by the NCAA from 2007 to 2011. Too many players transferred out of or failed to graduate from UConn. There has been debate over some of the protocol at play. UConn thinks it was unfairly punished here, while others will see this is as karma for the school basically getting slapped on the wrist by the NCAA after a former UConn student manager-turned agent Josh Nochimson was found to be dealing with the illegal recruitment of Nate Miles. Calhoun served the a three-game Big East suspension during the 2011-12 season for "failure to foster an atmosphere of compliance."

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

Re: UConn Banned from Postseason Play (2013)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 01:27:35 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
As the article states, should be interesting to see what 70 year old Jim Calhoun decides, considering his health situation and the impact that this ban could have on the program for the next few years...

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 01:31:01 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Interesting. UConn hasnt been overly strong and have been up and down in mens basketball the past few years, but it'll be semi weird not seeing them in the tournament.

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 01:40:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
As the article states, should be interesting to see what 70 year old Jim Calhoun decides, considering his health situation and the impact that this ban could have on the program for the next few years...
If he cared at all about the program, he would coach the up coming season and then walk away at the end of the probationary period.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 02:00:29 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Schools with mega-basketball programs like UConn should really be allowed to offer a sports major stripped of all the show GE classes that these student-athletes fail or don't even bother attending. 

Allow the teams to spend more time on practice and skill development for players that are hoping for pro careers.  End the foolish charade of pretending most top-tier prospects are attending school for any reason other than training and exposure.  Those that want a liberal arts education in addition to their basketball goals and double major or work out a hybrid program.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 02:48:19 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Schools with mega-basketball programs like UConn should really be allowed to offer a sports major stripped of all the show GE classes that these student-athletes fail or don't even bother attending. 

Allow the teams to spend more time on practice and skill development for players that are hoping for pro careers.  End the foolish charade of pretending most top-tier prospects are attending school for any reason other than training and exposure.  Those that want a liberal arts education in addition to their basketball goals and double major or work out a hybrid program.

If academic standards are going to be reduced to Basket Weaving 101 in order for "student-athletes" to compete in college..Then what is a scholarship for?  Why go in the first place?  I think the NCAA is at least trying to put up a little bit of a disclaimer that says if you're going to get the free training and exposure...That you have to pretend to care about academics.  That's not asking a lot.

Just forgo college altogether and go overseas if you don't want to go to class. 

Coach Calhoun should walk away and let the program find somebody who wants to follow NCAA rules.

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 02:52:20 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
This was a tremendous decision by the NCAA.

I mean Kemba Walker only read one book in his entire life for crying out loud.

http://offthebench.nbcsports.com/2011/04/12/kemba-walker-says-hes-only-read-one-book-in-his-entire-life/

Just another step for Uconn into college sports obscurity, soon they will be headed to the MAAC
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 02:56:32 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I sympathize with this, but my problem with it is that under the current system, players at least have the option of getting some college education while playing.  A lot of them might not take advantage of that but many of them do, and I think you can't underestimate the value of that.  Even at a top program like UConn not every player is going to play professionally at all, let alone in the NBA.

Letting schools like UConn abandon the whole student-athlete thing gives them an advantage, which pressures other schools to follow suit, which quickly creates a situation where good players have to choose between the best basketball programs and being able to get any kind of education.  Your "double major" would never happen unless a truly elite recruit demanded it - run of the mill D-I guys would never even be given the option.  And if they aren't even pretending to get an education, why should they play for free? 

I get the rationale, but it seems like it would open an even bigger can of worms than the one it's trying to seal shut.

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 02:59:02 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I have no love lost for that school.

Maybe they can sue BC again and blame them for this.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 03:06:20 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

So are you suggesting schools with mega-basketball programs align in seperate conferences for mega-basketball schools only?

If you get rid of the pretence that you need to get an education...You also get rid of any pretence of fair competition. 

How are schools which have academic standards at all going to compete with schools who's "student"-athletes have to only practice and play their sport to be eligible? 

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 03:11:40 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
I didn't even know this was possible - lol I love the NCAA's hypocricies

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 04:21:58 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

I sympathize with this, but my problem with it is that under the current system, players at least have the option of getting some college education while playing.  A lot of them might not take advantage of that but many of them do, and I think you can't underestimate the value of that.  Even at a top program like UConn not every player is going to play professionally at all, let alone in the NBA.

Letting schools like UConn abandon the whole student-athlete thing gives them an advantage, which pressures other schools to follow suit, which quickly creates a situation where good players have to choose between the best basketball programs and being able to get any kind of education.  Your "double major" would never happen unless a truly elite recruit demanded it - run of the mill D-I guys would never even be given the option.  And if they aren't even pretending to get an education, why should they play for free? 

I get the rationale, but it seems like it would open an even bigger can of worms than the one it's trying to seal shut.

Guys have gone back to school as pros to complete degrees.  Guys who want to do both liberal arts/science studies simultaneous to playing sports have done so. What I'm suggesting in no way impedes them.  There would be no restrictions on what classes they could take.

Rather, for those athletes that signed up to play basketball, get better at it and hopefully move on to a career in it, why not give them the option of getting more time with basketball training professionals instead of taking (and in UConn's case failing)  Philosophy 101 and a Physics lab course?

If you're serious about your post-collegiate basketball career (and you're not that good at anything else), weightlifting, nutrition, drills, opponent scouting and learning the playbook are all going to be more useful than finite mathematics.

That's not pretending to get an education, it is getting one.  If anything, it puts less pressure on schools to pay for athletes because they'll actually be offering something of value to their higher-level recruits.  Consider Brandon Jennings: don't you think he might have reconsidered getting his butt kicked abroad if he could have gotten full-time, world-class basketball training at a hometown school like UCLA without the charade of a full-time GE course load?  How about Jeremy Tyler?

And, yes, there would certainly be a lot of basketball hopefuls who flamed out post-college.  But how is that different from anyone post-college?  How many people waste $10k+ on freshman years only to drop out and never return to finish?  How many people with degrees are bussing tables or working jobs that have nothing to do with anything they studied? 

I'm a film major working in non-profit development.  My Master's Degree (in Anthropology) mom works in a coffee shop.  My degree-less wife works in marketing.  My brother's a college drop-out who makes 5 times as much as me.  A college education is not some mystical career determinant.  It's just training.  The more relevant the training to what you want/can do, the better.

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri