Author Topic: Famous athletes gone bankrupt  (Read 4025 times)

Famous athletes gone bankrupt
« on: April 07, 2012, 01:08:23 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I thought since this happens every week or so now we should keep a running tally.

Do you think maybe the death penalty would work as a deterrent? Because this stuff is absurd.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7785883/warren-sapp-files-bankruptcy-more-67-million-debt

Re: Famous athletes gone bankrupt
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 01:38:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I thought since this happens every week or so now we should keep a running tally.

Do you think maybe the death penalty would work as a deterrent? Because this stuff is absurd.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7785883/warren-sapp-files-bankruptcy-more-67-million-debt
Kill athletes because they can't manage them money properly or do you mean any American? :o ::)

I think that was a joke but I'm not sure it was too funny. :-\

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 01:44:14 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Kill athletes because they can't manage them money properly or do you mean any American? :o ::)

I think that was a joke but I'm not sure it was too funny. :-\
I think it was hyperbolic sarcasm actually. Do we have an SAT grader to give us a ruling here? Nick isn't sure what it was or if it was effective.  Any English teachers out there?

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 01:45:40 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Gee, I hope not.  I never made millions, but I've had some debt problems in my life.  Here's hoping they don't come after me with the firing squad.

I always thought debtors prison sounded cruel, but you are taking it a step further.  
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 01:55:10 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Gee, I hope not.  I never made millions, but I've had some debt problems in my life.  Here's hoping they don't come after me with the firing squad.

I always thought debtors prison sounded cruel, but you are taking it a step further.  
Well you're in luck because at this time I don't actually have the power to make this come to pass. In fact most people, including myself, don't even take my suggestions all that seriously other than you and nick, which is why I love you guys.

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 02:00:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Well you're in luck because at this time I don't actually have the power to make this come to pass. In fact most people, including myself, don't even take my suggestions all that seriously other than you and nick, which is why I love you guys.
On a separate note, are you going to the Tebow service tomorrow eja or are you buying the pay per view? ;) :D ;D

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 02:01:15 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Phew, I dodged a bullet on that one then.  If you ever do rise to a position where you have the power to make those kinds of decisions, please take mercy on your Celtics Blog brethren.

I would even ask you to consider sparing Warren Sapp's life.  
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 02:03:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Back on subject, its amazing the amount of multimillionaire athletes and huge jackpot lottery winners go bankrupt.

I read an article that said if the 3 Megamillions winners just took their payouts after paying taxes and invested it into a low yield conservative investment, they would make $75,000 per year for the rest of their lives and neither them or their kids or grandkids would ever have to work again, unless they wanted to.

Sad that people can't control their finances

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 02:15:04 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

On a separate note, are you going to the Tebow service tomorrow eja or are you buying the pay per view? ;) :D ;D

I searched for many youtube videos from Matt Damon telling Robin Williams not to mess with him to asking that other psychiatrist when he realized he was gay, but decided to just answer this way...

What will Skip Bayless be doing?  I'll probably do that.

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 02:15:56 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Phew, I dodged a bullet on that one then.  If you ever do rise to a position where you have the power to make those kinds of decisions, please take mercy on your Celtics Blog brethren.

I would even ask you to consider sparing Warren Sapp's life.  
No promises

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 02:17:18 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Back on subject, its amazing the amount of multimillionaire athletes and huge jackpot lottery winners go bankrupt.

I read an article that said if the 3 Megamillions winners just took their payouts after paying taxes and invested it into a low yield conservative investment, they would make $75,000 per year for the rest of their lives and neither them or their kids or grandkids would ever have to work again, unless they wanted to.

Sad that people can't control their finances
I feel like you rarely hear about movie stars and musicians having this problem other than Elton John and Wesley Snipes...and Willy Nelson, but two of those were more IRS problems I think

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 02:23:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I searched for many youtube videos from Matt Damon telling Robin Williams not to mess with him to asking that other psychiatrist when he realized he was gay, but decided to just answer this way...

What will Skip Bayless be doing?  I'll probably do that.
Well played. TP.

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 02:54:40 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Okay, I'll be the one to say it...

NBA and NFL need to institute a you make it we get you financial advisers MANDATORY! They know that MOST of their athletes are minorities (black) who come from very troubled backgrounds. I mean, if you are paying someone millions of dollars, wouldn't you want them to at least have the wherewithal to spend your money wiser? Sure, it's their money now but if I win millions and have the opportunity to give my family money, I will not just give it to them and say go do w/e... no, I'll either buy what they need for them or I will get them the same help I will get before giving them my money. I guess that's just me, I just feel that I could waste my own money rather than give it to you to waste...
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)