Author Topic: What Vet would be available for two first rounders???  (Read 4498 times)

What Vet would be available for two first rounders???
« on: April 05, 2012, 11:08:11 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
So if we go into full rebuild mode this off-season, next year will be JJJ and Moore's real rookie seasons, much like this year has been for Bradley.  Maybe we don't want to add two more rookies to the team ; there have to be plenty of teams who would value our first two picks more than their second tier All-Star.

Danny Granger is the first name that comes to mind, but I'd obviously like to get a big.  Could two picks land Lamarcus Aldridge?  Clearly what Portland has going on isn't working. 

Who do you guys think two first rounders could land and would you like this idea?

Re: What Vet would be available for two first rounders???
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 11:16:38 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Two mid-to-late first rounders aren't anywhere close to enough to obtain Aldridge, in my mind.  In terms of who we could acquire, it's got to be somebody who isn't as good as Gerald Wallace (who brought back a decent lottery pick).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 11:28:49 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
Unless another GM is completely off his rocker, there's no deal I would make.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 11:35:24 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
I'm now disappointed.  I suppose I've overrated the value of the picks.  Reality check.

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 11:44:18 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Elton Brand?

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 12:05:20 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
The way things are going, we could probably get Dwight Howard.

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 12:17:55 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'm thinking you could get someone like Nene or Luis Scola.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 12:54:53 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
I'm thinking you could get someone like Nene or Luis Scola.

I think that'd be something to really consider too

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 03:09:11 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
Thing is, you also need to send out matching salary, or realize that you're gonna have to give up rights to some combination of your free agents to make a deal like this. So for Nene, for example, you're not just trading two first round picks. You're trading two first round picks, Ray Allen and either Kevin Garnett or Jeff Green and Brandon Bass. So your roster is Rondo, Bradley, Pierce, KG and Nene with a bench of Johnson, Moore and Stiemsma (or sub in Bass for KG and add Green to the bench), with only a $2.5 million midlevel exception and minimum contracts left to build a team and no more youth. That's not a contender in the near future and there's little youth to build for the future around. And that $13 million annual salary for Nene is going to look worse and worse - he'll be 30 next year, is under contract for four more years and is already on the decline.

In theory, using the picks for a known player is a great idea. But to do so this summer, when you don't have a matching contract to include, means you're using cap space which means you're also renouncing rights to at least some of your free  agents. So you're not adding on to what you have, you're starting over with Rondo, Pierce, Bradley, and this piece, while giving up some important chips for the future. Neither Nene (30 this summer) nor Scola (turns 32 at the end of this month) is a guy to build for the future around.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 04:07:11 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Thing is, you also need to send out matching salary, or realize that you're gonna have to give up rights to some combination of your free agents to make a deal like this. So for Nene, for example, you're not just trading two first round picks. You're trading two first round picks, Ray Allen and either Kevin Garnett or Jeff Green and Brandon Bass. So your roster is Rondo, Bradley, Pierce, KG and Nene with a bench of Johnson, Moore and Stiemsma (or sub in Bass for KG and add Green to the bench), with only a $2.5 million midlevel exception and minimum contracts left to build a team and no more youth. That's not a contender in the near future and there's little youth to build for the future around. And that $13 million annual salary for Nene is going to look worse and worse - he'll be 30 next year, is under contract for four more years and is already on the decline.

In theory, using the picks for a known player is a great idea. But to do so this summer, when you don't have a matching contract to include, means you're using cap space which means you're also renouncing rights to at least some of your free  agents. So you're not adding on to what you have, you're starting over with Rondo, Pierce, Bradley, and this piece, while giving up some important chips for the future. Neither Nene (30 this summer) nor Scola (turns 32 at the end of this month) is a guy to build for the future around.

It doesn't matter if we renounce everyone or not. We could simply re-sign them under our available cap space. The only way you could only offer the minimum to one of your renounced players is if you're over the cap. So we could add a significant player, via trade, and still re-sign KG, Green, etc. to whatever we have left under the cap.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 04:12:38 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
i'm not sure why you would trade both picks for a veteran when you are going into rebuild mode. you need young, tradable assets w/potential, not older more established (and more expensive) players.

at this point, you are probably better off keeping the picks and trying to see what pierce is worth. maybe he can net you another 1st rounder/nice young player(s). then maybe you move those picks to get into the lottery? i dunno. trading the picks for a veteran player when this team needs to get younger isnt the answer.

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 04:20:08 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Two mid-to-late first rounders aren't anywhere close to enough to obtain Aldridge, in my mind.  In terms of who we could acquire, it's got to be somebody who isn't as good as Gerald Wallace (who brought back a decent lottery pick).

I'm not so sure about that. All it takes is for a GM to fall in love with a player and then we could get something of real good value. Just remember that we received Ray Allen for the #5 pick in a draft that was considered weak outside of the top 2. As for the Blazers heist, the only reason the Nets did that deal is because they're trying to entice Williams in re-signing. I don't think any other team would've done that trade, except Orlando who is in a similar position with Howard.

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 04:21:30 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I think a key would be contracts, 2 rookie contracts might make a team fancy trading a better player with a not so friendly contract...say okafor?
It is going to be interesting to see what happens with JJJ and this coming draft picks.  He has shown the offense and I would like to think he'll be getting good minutes next year and playing well.  Due to such a strong draft coming it might be a short look see for jjj and moore (might be trade filler)

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 06:39:28 AM »

Offline toine83

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 6
Gerald Henderson, S&T for Kris Humphries or Ryan Anderson, Tyler Hansbrough, Ed Davis,  Nick Collison and a pick, Brandon Rush....

Not superstars but solid role players

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 06:46:04 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

It doesn't matter if we renounce everyone or not. We could simply re-sign them under our available cap space. The only way you could only offer the minimum to one of your renounced players is if you're over the cap. So we could add a significant player, via trade, and still re-sign KG, Green, etc. to whatever we have left under the cap.
but you can't do any of that until after the draft.  Thus, you would have to trade the players you drafted and  how many teams are going to want both of the players Ainge drafted.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip