Poll

What should the Celtics do this summer?

Bring back the same team.  Add mediocre help with MLE..
25 (53.2%)
Go after Deron Williams.
13 (27.7%)
Blow it up and target restricted free agents (OJ Mayo, for example)
9 (19.1%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Should the Celtics offer Deron Williams the max this summer?  (Read 30227 times)

Re: Should the Celtics offer Deron Williams the max this summer?
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
I say yes.  If you can get him to sign (which I really dont see why he would) then you can figure out to do with them both next.  It makes either Rondo or Deron expendable - we could flip one for an all-star at another position

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2012, 09:27:05 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
How about keep rondo and get him some slashers to replace green, wilcox, tony allen ( whom marquis was supposed to be)...getting rid of rondo is about as dumb as it gets....really.....WHY do you keep putting it all on him,,,,and overlooking everything else.....it..ah...doesn't make sense to say the least....

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2012, 09:33:47 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Doesn't want to play for Celtics....rather have Rondo
I'll simplify it for you since you didn't read.

Would you rather have:
Option A: Rondo + nothing
Option B: Deron Williams + Whatever Rondo fetches on the open market

Of course it's not exactly that simple since our cap situation isn't all that great.  You'd actually likely have to give up Kevin Garnett in order to sign Deron... but for the sake of argument lets look at it in a simplistic little box.  Option A or Option B?

Haha. Real choice:

Option A: Rondo + Whoever else you give that max contract money to

Option A is fairly competitive, that's why you're trying to slant the choices in such an obvious fashion. BTW, Deron is *arguably* a top 3 point guard, and isn't a franchise player. He's capable of leading a team to the WCF or to a bottom 5 record in the league depending on how good his teammates are.

That's a fair point.  But in option a, who are you giving the max money to that's better than Deron Williams?  Seems all the names I'm seeing are restricted free agents.  You can renounce everyone and offer Roy Hibbert a max deal, but if Indiana matches, you're outta luck.  You can renounce everyone and offer Gordon a max deal, but if the Hornets match, you're out of luck.  ANd then you are in a jam, because you only have 25 million left and you renounced all your bird rights to have a CHANCE to land those guys.  Kinda like when Golden State dumped Jeremy Lin just to have a CHANCE at signing DeAndre Jordan.

Maybe they don't sign a free agent, maybe they trade for a player that's already under contract.

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2012, 09:34:56 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
No we should not offer them the max.

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2012, 09:38:29 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I cannot believe that the OP posted a loaded poll question and his stated position atill failed miserably.

Why should we offer Deron when we have the best point guard in the game right now.

Slam dunk on OP  ;D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:57:36 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2012, 09:50:51 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
No...what exactly has deron done for the nets and why did the jazz get rid of him? hes an overrated malcontent

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2012, 10:13:24 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Offer them Dooling, and a bag of McDonalds fries.

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2012, 10:53:49 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I cannot believe that the OP posted a loaded poll question and his stated position atill failed miserably.

Why should we offer Deron when we have the best point guard in the game right now.
Hi welcome to Celticsblog, my friendly n00b.  I'm LarBrd33.  I play devil's advocate around here.  Nice to meet you.

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2012, 10:56:20 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I would much, much rather have Rondo

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2012, 10:59:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Doesn't want to play for Celtics....rather have Rondo
I'll simplify it for you since you didn't read.

Would you rather have:
Option A: Rondo + nothing

Of course it's not exactly that simple since our cap situation isn't all that great.  You'd actually likely have to give up Kevin Garnett in order to sign Deron... but for the sake of argument lets look at it in a simplistic little box.  Option A or Option B?

Haha. Real choice:

Option A: Rondo + Whoever else you give that max contract money to

Option A is fairly competitive, that's why you're trying to slant the choices in such an obvious fashion. BTW, Deron is *arguably* a top 3 point guard, and isn't a franchise player. He's capable of leading a team to the WCF or to a bottom 5 record in the league depending on how good his teammates are.

That's a fair point.  But in option a, who are you giving the max money to that's better than Deron Williams?  Seems all the names I'm seeing are restricted free agents.  You can renounce everyone and offer Roy Hibbert a max deal, but if Indiana matches, you're outta luck.  You can renounce everyone and offer Gordon a max deal, but if the Hornets match, you're out of luck.  ANd then you are in a jam, because you only have 25 million left and you renounced all your bird rights to have a CHANCE to land those guys.  Kinda like when Golden State dumped Jeremy Lin just to have a CHANCE at signing DeAndre Jordan.

Maybe they don't sign a free agent, maybe they trade for a player that's already under contract.

That's a fair point too.  I almost included that footnote to hypothetical #1 in my original post, but I have a tendency to be long-winded as-is and I'm fairly certain half this board is already tuning me out.  Here's what it WOULD have said.

Hypothetical Deron example 1:  Sign Deron to a max deal.  Trade Rondo straight up for Josh Smith (13 mil next season)... that leaves only aprox 6.6 mil left over.  Offer that to Jeff Green.  Team next year:  PG - Deron, SG - Jeff Green, SF - Pierce, PF - Josh Smith, C - Rookie?

Comments:  When Pierce comes off the books, you'd likely have cap space to put a 3rd young player around Smith and Deron.  Losing KG isn't desirable.

*Footnote I cut out of OP:  Now you might look at the above and say to yourself, "If that's the best we can do... why not renounce everyone, hang onto Rondo (who you believe is better than Deron) and use our cap space to trade for a Josh Smith"...  And to that I say, "Sure.  That's fair.  If you really think Josh Smith can be had for pennies on the dollar, and really believe Rondo is better than Deron then so be it.  But if you think Josh Smith can be had for cap relief and a draft pick, then you surely must believe that Rondo is "waaaaay too much to give up" for Smith and his actual value lies somewhere around the franchise superstar level (LeBron/Dwight/etc)... in which case... please proceed to Hypothetical #3 (also known as crazy-pipe dream) where I have us signing Deron and flipping Rondo for Dwight Howard.  That's more your speed.

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2012, 11:04:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I would much, much rather have Rondo
I'm holding back from saying, "ignorance is bliss" in response to these kind of comments.  My only reaction is that I don't think people on this forum understand how good Deron Williams is... and it's understandable considering he's played his career playing in Utah and Jersey and it's doubtful hardcore Celtic fans have really given him a lot of thought.  Some folks seemed to think Deron was interchangable with Chris Paul... and yet I still see a large percentage of CelticsBlog telling that we were silly to try to trade Rondo for Chris Paul.  I say this is the epitome of Boston homerism.  Rondo is not on Chris Paul's level.  It's not close.  So where I'm confused here is if people really think the gap between CHris Paul and Deron is THAT big or if they are just responding from a very green-tinted pro-Rondo mindset.  

Despite that, I'm not suggesting we trade Rondo for Deron (i'd do it... it would make us better)... I'm suggesting we sign Deron (as a free agent) and then figure out what to do with Rondo.  I mean... If it made y'all feel better, I'd sign Deron, tell people I was going to "revolutionize the game with two star point guards ala the 70 Knicks" and just bide my time until Deron could be flipped for a Carmelo Anthony or something.  You simply don't get an opportunity to add a guy of his caliber very often. 

This mentality of "no way jose, Rondo is hella good" reminds me of Portland passing on Jordan because they already have Drexler.  I'm all about taking the best player available whether it's in the draft or free agency.  Figure out the rest later.  Franchise players don't fall out of trees.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 11:10:09 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2012, 11:13:39 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I didnt vote because I didnt like any of the options...Why we we give DWill max money when we already an all star caliber point guard with one more ring than dwill has.
Glen Davis has one more ring than LeBron James has, but I'd still rather have LeBron James.

And again this isn't about choosing between Deron and Rondo.  It's about whether or not you'd want to add Deron.  By all means... if you'd like to add Deron and keep Rondo, go for it.  But seems to me if you add a top 3 pg (deron) to go with your top 6 pg (rondo)... one of them needs to be traded.

right and i would trade deron.

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2012, 11:19:32 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
I fail to see the fascination with d will. his done no better with a poor supporting cast in NJ than rondo would with a similar cast. what makes folks think he would be a difference maker on a rebuild here.

so, no i wouldn't do that deal.

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2012, 11:34:49 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I fail to see the fascination with d will. his done no better with a poor supporting cast in NJ than rondo would with a similar cast. what makes folks think he would be a difference maker on a rebuild here.

so, no i wouldn't do that deal.

He's the only franchise player available as an unrestricted free agent.  That's all

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2012, 12:46:08 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'm holding back from saying, "ignorance is bliss" in response to these kind of comments.  My only reaction is that I don't think people on this forum understand how good Deron Williams is... and it's understandable considering he's played his career playing in Utah and Jersey and it's doubtful hardcore Celtic fans have really given him a lot of thought.  Some folks seemed to think Deron was interchangable with Chris Paul... and yet I still see a large percentage of CelticsBlog telling that we were silly to try to trade Rondo for Chris Paul.  I say this is the epitome of Boston homerism.  Rondo is not on Chris Paul's level.  It's not close.  So where I'm confused here is if people really think the gap between CHris Paul and Deron is THAT big or if they are just responding from a very green-tinted pro-Rondo mindset.  

There exist statistics out there which could lead someone to believe that Rondo is as good as Deron Williams (WS/48) or perhaps better (adjusted +/-).  (But Chris Paul is better than either.)  Since Rondo is a couple of years younger and makes less money, that should make him more desirable even if he is slightly worse than Williams.

I will admit those stats have flaws, but I think they are better than PER.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference