Author Topic: Knicks Targeting Calipari  (Read 4661 times)

Knicks Targeting Calipari
« on: April 05, 2012, 02:04:29 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Several sources confirmed that the Knicks have already begun targeting John Calipari.

“Do I think they’ve spoken directly to Cal? No,” said one source. “Do I think he knows they’re very interested? Definitely.”

Calipari is represented by Creative Artists Agency, who also represents Carmelo Anthony.

“When it comes to the Knicks and CAA … the Knicks are all in,” said one coach.

Calipari has publicly said that he intends to remain at Kentucky.
Via Frank Isola/New York Daily News

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/220296/Knicks_Targeting_Calipari

Wow knicks management is horrible. Calipari is an awful NBA coach, no way he can control all those personalities.

Re: Knicks Targeting Calipari
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 02:17:01 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Knicks job would actually be a downgrade from his current gig. So I think Calipari would be nuts to leave Kentucky.

Although, money talks so you never know.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 02:28:05 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Knicks job would actually be a downgrade from his current gig. So I think Calipari would be nuts to leave Kentucky.

NCAA sanctions talk too.

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 02:38:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Pitino left Kentucky after back to back national title game appearances (won the first, lost the second) to take over a 15 win team in the NBA.  I don't think anyone around considered that to be a downgrade, so I can't see how Calipari going to the Knicks (which have a lot more talent than the Celtics did) would be considered a downgrade.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Constant sideshow in NY. Between the Jets and the Knicks there's never a lull.  Must drive the diehards crazy.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 03:09:15 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Pitino left Kentucky after back to back national title game appearances (won the first, lost the second) to take over a 15 win team in the NBA.  I don't think anyone around considered that to be a downgrade, so I can't see how Calipari going to the Knicks (which have a lot more talent than the Celtics did) would be considered a downgrade.

John Calipari isn't exactly Rick Pitino now is he? So besides one leaving KY to take a pro job and the other (possibly) considering it, I don't really see how one would affect the other.  You're also talking about something that happened 16 years ago.

Kentucky is one of the premiere college basketball programs in the country.  There are a handful of coaching jobs that carry that allure in the game of basketball (college or pro).  The entire state is a basketball hotbed. You don't get much more beloved than winning a national title in basketball there.  When has coaching the Knicks (especially in the past decade) had any sort of caches besides being in the middle of a media circus?

It's a downgrade, IMO.

If he leaves, it'll be because of money or ego.  It's not a better job.

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 03:21:23 PM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Good news for the us
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 03:30:17 PM by JSD »
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 03:40:10 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Probally be better off stayint put.  Or take the Bobcats job , where there is no pressure to win.

NY is one of pressure cookers ,  you get 2-3 years and out if no result. ....
 I think NY should get Pitino to coach the NBA Knicks.  If he is sucessful then he can get in the HOF.  ;)

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 09:36:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

John Calipari isn't exactly Rick Pitino now is he? So besides one leaving KY to take a pro job and the other (possibly) considering it, I don't really see how one would affect the other.  You're also talking about something that happened 16 years ago.

Kentucky is one of the premiere college basketball programs in the country.  There are a handful of coaching jobs that carry that allure in the game of basketball (college or pro).  The entire state is a basketball hotbed. You don't get much more beloved than winning a national title in basketball there.  When has coaching the Knicks (especially in the past decade) had any sort of caches besides being in the middle of a media circus?

It's a downgrade, IMO.

16 years ago when Rick left Kentucky for Boston, Kentucky was a premier job in college basketball and Boston was coming off a 15 win season and hadn't been to the playoffs in a couple of seasons and hadn't been past the first round in 5 years.  It was in transition everywhere and had one good player, Antoine Walker, on the team. 

Not to mention, Pitino left a Kentucky squad that would win the national championship the very next year (with virtually the same team - Mercer left and that is about it), while Kentucky this year is losing virtually its entire team (it still might win next year, but that would be because of another superb recruiting class not because it is a veteran team). 

As long as you admit Pitino downgraded when he came to Boston, I have no issue with your contention that Calipari would downgrade if he took the Knicks job because in reality while Calipari would be leaving a worse situation, he would be going to a much better team than what Pitino walked into.

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 10:14:19 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I know he's probably not the big name New York always wants to get, but Nate McMillan is pretty much perfect for the Knicks personnel.

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 10:16:58 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I know he's probably not the big name New York always wants to get, but Nate McMillan is pretty much perfect for the Knicks personnel.
Him or Jeff Van Gundy if he wants to coach again.

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 10:18:31 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Him or Jeff Van Gundy if he wants to coach again.

I like Nate McMillans emphasis on a structured half court offense for the Knicks, but either Van Gundy would also be a pretty good fit.

My guess is that JVG will stay put with ABC.

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 10:28:32 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

It's a downgrade, IMO.

16 years ago when Rick left Kentucky for Boston, Kentucky was a premier job in college basketball and Boston was coming off a 15 win season and hadn't been to the playoffs in a couple of seasons and hadn't been past the first round in 5 years.  It was in transition everywhere and had one good player, Antoine Walker, on the team. 

Not to mention, Pitino left a Kentucky squad that would win the national championship the very next year (with virtually the same team - Mercer left and that is about it), while Kentucky this year is losing virtually its entire team (it still might win next year, but that would be because of another superb recruiting class not because it is a veteran team). 

As long as you admit Pitino downgraded when he came to Boston, I have no issue with your contention that Calipari would downgrade if he took the Knicks job because in reality while Calipari would be leaving a worse situation, he would be going to a much better team than what Pitino walked into.

I'm well aware of the history surrounding Pitino's departure. I'm not sure how lecturing on something that happened with a different coach a decade & a half ago has much to do about anything here besdies the coincidence that both were at Kentucky at the time and coming off national title game appearances.  Other than that, you have two different men.  Despite what some media might contend, Calipari and Pitino aren't exactly twins.

How is it an upgrade from going from one of the cornerstone college basketball programs in the country with a rabid fanbase coming off the adulation of a national title (where a national title means the world) to going to a professional basketball organization where he'd most likely not have GM control (unlike college where he has personnel control), work with professional athletes with a documented history of coach/player strife and deal with the media circus of New York?

Tell me how's that an upgrade for any reasons beyond money & ego?

Kentucky is a better coaching gig than the Knicks. Especially for a guy who's already in the college game.

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 10:58:39 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Calipari, like when he was in New Jersey....Would find out it's a lot harder to cheat in the NBA.  On a level playing field...You actually have to coach.  Being a great recruiter isn't much help.

I know that Calipari wouldn't be an upgrade over Woodson.  I don't know that McMillan would be either.

VanGundy won't be coaching any time soon....If he was looking in that direction, he'd tune his commentary about officiating and rules way down.  His opinions are as strong now as they were when he got the big fine...etc for his Yao Ming tyrade.

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 02:08:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Pitino left Kentucky after back to back national title game appearances (won the first, lost the second) to take over a 15 win team in the NBA.  I don't think anyone around considered that to be a downgrade, so I can't see how Calipari going to the Knicks (which have a lot more talent than the Celtics did) would be considered a downgrade.

John Calipari isn't exactly Rick Pitino now is he? So besides one leaving KY to take a pro job and the other (possibly) considering it, I don't really see how one would affect the other.  You're also talking about something that happened 16 years ago.

Kentucky is one of the premiere college basketball programs in the country.  There are a handful of coaching jobs that carry that allure in the game of basketball (college or pro).  The entire state is a basketball hotbed. You don't get much more beloved than winning a national title in basketball there.  When has coaching the Knicks (especially in the past decade) had any sort of caches besides being in the middle of a media circus?

It's a downgrade, IMO.

If he leaves, it'll be because of money or ego.  It's not a better job.
16 years ago when Rick left Kentucky for Boston, Kentucky was a premier job in college basketball and Boston was coming off a 15 win season and hadn't been to the playoffs in a couple of seasons and hadn't been past the first round in 5 years.  It was in transition everywhere and had one good player, Antoine Walker, on the team.  

I'm well aware of the history surrounding Pitino's departure. I'm not sure how lecturing on something that happened with a different coach a decade & a half ago has much to do about anything here besdies the coincidence that both were at Kentucky at the time and coming off national title game appearances.  Other than that, you have two different men.  Despite what some media might contend, Calipari and Pitino aren't exactly twins.

How is it an upgrade from going from one of the cornerstone college basketball programs in the country with a rabid fanbase coming off the adulation of a national title (where a national title means the world) to going to a professional basketball organization where he'd most likely not have GM control (unlike college where he has personnel control), work with professional athletes with a documented history of coach/player strife and deal with the media circus of New York?

Tell me how's that an upgrade for any reasons beyond money & ego?

Kentucky is a better coaching gig than the Knicks. Especially for a guy who's already in the college game.
The Knicks may not have the titles recently, but they are located in the largest city in the U.S., have a rabid passionate fan base, have an owner that will spend whatever it takes to win, are a place that free agents want to play, provides a lot of things outside of basketball, and despite not winning titles is still considered a premier organization and one of the five best jobs in the NBA by virtually everyone.  

The Knicks also have two multiple time all stars in their prime (amare and melo), a solid defensive minded center (chandler), and some decent young players (fields, lin, smith, douglas, novak, walker).  With the right coach, they could easily be a top 3 team in the Eastern conference.

That is a great job and a clear upgrade over any job in college and is certainly a better job than what the Celtics were when Pitino took over in the late 90's (which I take it from your non-response to my question, you think was an upgrade for Pitino).