Author Topic: Stan Van Gundy: Dwight Howard has asked Orlando Magic management to fire him  (Read 16153 times)

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
I still want Dwight Howard. I'd take LeBron too. Something about them being among the top 2 or 3 players on the planet is just alluring.

Howard and Lebron both are overrated IMO

How do you figure?

The real talented players are the ones who thrive in a half-court team oriented setting. Can still dominate without needing the ball 24/7, score in high numbers, and effect the game in other ways besides scoring. This style translates in the playoffs and ultimately in winning championships. Like Wade, Pierce, KG, Duncan, Kobe, Carmelo, Durant, Dirk, etc.

I think ESPN and the rest of the media likes to overhype players that thrive in the full court fast break type of style
I don't blame them, highlight plays makes way more money
Its easy to score 30 pts on dunks, fast breaks, 3 pointers when the game doesn't matter

Which is also the reason Howard or Dwight perform below average in the 4th quarter and aren't closers

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think you're really short selling how absurdly dominant Lebron James is in every facet of the game, aside from 3pt shooting.

Dwight Howard is the best center in basketball, and has been for like 4 years, prolly 5.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I like how Carmelo got thrown in the winner's list lol.

LeBron James stuffs the overall stat sheet as well as any player in the league. (steals/reb/blks/overall defense)

As for Howard, dominant big men often aren't the offensive go to guys late in games. But that doesn't mean he can't be a closer, just on the defensive end instead. Bill Russell wasn't a guy you ran a play to set up late in games either.

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
What I mean is that both of them do not have any skills thrive in a half-court team oriented system. The same type of skills needed in the 4th quarter, playoffs, and winning titles

-It took Lebron how many years to develop a consistent jumpshot?
He's just now realizing a post move should be implemented in his game.

-Its even more horrible for Dwight. Has no post moves to speak of, maybe the running hook

Jumpshooting and post moves doesn't matter when you're dunkiing on people and making Sportscenter highlights
Look at both of their NBA Final's performances. When the game slowed down and teams scouted them, they failed miserably

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Prediction: SVG and the Magic part ways at the end of the season, and he'll end up coaching the Clippers next season. The Magic end up with Paul Westphal as coach, the team messes the playoffs and D12 leaves at the end of the season. Otis Smith looks like a dope.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I like how Carmelo got thrown in the winner's list lol.

LeBron James stuffs the overall stat sheet as well as any player in the league. (steals/reb/blks/overall defense)

As for Howard, dominant big men often aren't the offensive go to guys late in games. But that doesn't mean he can't be a closer, just on the defensive end instead. Bill Russell wasn't a guy you ran a play to set up late in games either.
I almost hope Melo has some success so I won't be so annoyed so much from all the undeserved praise.

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I almost hope Melo has some success so I won't be so annoyed so much from all the undeserved praise.

I'd be right with you if I didn't enjoy being right so much.

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Prediction: SVG and the Magic part ways at the end of the season, and he'll end up coaching the Clippers next season. The Magic end up with Paul Westphal as coach, the team messes the playoffs and D12 leaves at the end of the season. Otis Smith looks like a dope.

Otis Smith already looks like a dope.

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7786679/orlando-magic-dwight-howard-seek-firing-coach-stan-van-gundy-gm-otis-smith-says

Dwight Howard did not ask Magic general manager Otis Smith to fire coach Stan Van Gundy, Smith told ESPN's Lisa Salters on Saturday before the Magic's 88-82 victory over the Philadelphia 76ers.

"He never asked me; I didn't have that knowledge," Smith said.

Van Gundy said Thursday he knew Howard, the Magic's franchise player, had asked that he be fired. Smith said both parties were to blame for the public dispute.

"If he did ask he's wrong, and for Stan to address it in public, that is wrong," Smith said.

Smith also confirmed Saturday that Van Gundy will coach the Magic through the rest of the season. But when asked if Van Gundy will return next year, Smith was less sure.

"Don't have the answer for that," Smith said. "I don't have the answer to who's going to be on our roster, either."

And 'thump, thump' went SVG under the bus.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7786679/orlando-magic-dwight-howard-seek-firing-coach-stan-van-gundy-gm-otis-smith-says

Dwight Howard did not ask Magic general manager Otis Smith to fire coach Stan Van Gundy, Smith told ESPN's Lisa Salters on Saturday before the Magic's 88-82 victory over the Philadelphia 76ers.

"He never asked me; I didn't have that knowledge," Smith said.

Van Gundy said Thursday he knew Howard, the Magic's franchise player, had asked that he be fired. Smith said both parties were to blame for the public dispute.

"If he did ask he's wrong, and for Stan to address it in public, that is wrong," Smith said.

Smith also confirmed Saturday that Van Gundy will coach the Magic through the rest of the season. But when asked if Van Gundy will return next year, Smith was less sure.

"Don't have the answer for that," Smith said. "I don't have the answer to who's going to be on our roster, either."

And 'thump, thump' went SVG under the bus.

Dwight Howard wins again.