Author Topic: Stan Van Gundy: Dwight Howard has asked Orlando Magic management to fire him  (Read 16166 times)

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
He should just ask Otis to fire himself. With Otis around, I don't think Orlando will go anywhere.

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
And you guys wanted this guy in green? He could have done the same to Doc. smh...

Offline thenotoriousjts

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 14
SVG said all the right things and handled the interview remarkably well. If I were him, I would quit that lousy job. He's got cash, what does he have to lose?
Feel free to check me out here: https://hardwoodhoudini.com/author/jstevens3/ or here https://hashtagbasketball.com/author/jeremy-stevens

Can't we just bring Gerald Green back?

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
hope they hire Ric Pitino

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
(just like the Kings and COusins)

Wait...what really happened there? Cousins is playing like a beast now. Really curious.

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
(just like the Kings and COusins)

Wait...what really happened there? Cousins is playing like a beast now. Really curious.
Him and old coach Westphaul were constantly bumping heads was one or the other coach was cut
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
SVG said all the right things and handled the interview remarkably well. If I were him, I would quit that lousy job. He's got cash, what does he have to lose?

No, I like how he exposed Howard on this--and now Otis will be exposed if he follows through on Howard's request.

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
I like Dwight's metamorphosis from a guy who wanted the NBA logo to be a freaking CROSS to a Racquel Welsh-level diva coach killer with three baby mamas who leads the league in technicals every year, gets schooled in the media and seemingly has no idea what he wants, all the while still trying to keep up that happy-go-lucky, fun lovin' guy image he started with.

Dwight's the last person who believes that smilin' giant act. He might as well embrace who he really is.

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
Lots of good points in this thread. D12 is definitely a high maintenance diva and the way he quit last night. I just don't understand how you can tell the FO that you want to stay another year and then do a quit-job like the one I saw last night. On the other hand...

Just playing devil's advocate here for a second. Perhaps Howard is just fed up and tired of his teammates. His pleas to man up and be about giving 100% effort every night and play together as a team falling on deaf ears so many times maybe he thinks it's a lost cause. Last year Howard I thought was the ONLY player besides Redick who gave effort every game. There are so many guys on that team that are just about themselves or just lazy.

And I'm not letting Van Gundy off the hook. I for one think he is a bad coach who has been skating by since he took that team to the Finals a few years ago. They don't have one player on that roster capable of making a post entry pass. Not one. Even Nelson. And there is no creative adjustments that have been made to an offense that was exposed in the Finals and has been figured out by most of the league the year after they got there. Now that just surround Howard with lesser personnel. The perimeter players routine look off Howard when there are openings to get him the ball. They play one on one basketball. None of the perimeter players give ANY effort on defense and after 4 some odd years since they made it to the Finals that's a coaching problem to me. They don't have the right personnel with the right attitude to get where they want to go and why SVG hasn't made major changes I don't know. I don't like what D12 has done with this team but if he did ask for SVGs firing, I don't blame him.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
Devil's advocate: is DH right? SVG apparently faced similar criticism from his players in Miami. DH is the leader of the team as far as I'm aware. His voice is probably more than his voice alone.

Also, shouldn't SVG get some heat for making all of this public? He's basically given up on the season and is making an ultimatum, it's me or DH. DH might've done the same thing, but at least he did it privately.
"Suit up every day."

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
I still want Dwight Howard. I'd take LeBron too. Something about them being among the top 2 or 3 players on the planet is just alluring.

Howard and Lebron both are overrated IMO

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I still want Dwight Howard. I'd take LeBron too. Something about them being among the top 2 or 3 players on the planet is just alluring.

How do you figure?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

How do you figure?
Both are overreliant on the new fangled dunkshot!

Back in my day we played below the rim and we liked it!

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Devil's advocate: is DH right? SVG apparently faced similar criticism from his players in Miami. DH is the leader of the team as far as I'm aware. His voice is probably more than his voice alone.

If you believe the rumors, the locker room is divided between SVG and DH, with DH losing support due to his antics.  If I had to guess, the pro-Howard players are probably more likely to be guys like Glen Davis or Quentin Richardson who may think they deserve more playing time.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198

How do you figure?
Both are overreliant on the new fangled dunkshot!

Back in my day we played below the rim and we liked it!

HAHAHAHA!!