Author Topic: Stan Van Gundy: Dwight Howard has asked Orlando Magic management to fire him  (Read 16167 times)

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I have no problem with a player like Dwight Howard requesting or demanding that his team fire his coach. If he doesn't believe his coach is good enough to lead that team to a title, it is absolutely his place to demand a change.

It may be his place to demand a bad coach be fired, but I think Stan Van Gundy has done a good enough job so that if Dwight Howard wants a coaching change, it is reasonable to question Howard's judgment.

I completely agree ... and I do think that Dwight Howard is wrong to blame SVG and should be looking instead at both the front office (Otis Smith) and the owner (Richard DeVos).

I can live with players being wrong in their beliefs but what I absolutely cannot stand when that star player is unwilling to stand up for what they believe in -- necessary change for their team to compete for a title -- because they are afraid of a bit of bad press. That is cowardly and it hurts the fans more than anyone else. 

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Hilarious video where Dwight interupts the interview where Stan is explaining that Dwight tried to get him fired;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y08gvGpGCwA&feature=player_embedded

Dwight Howard, practicing his Kobe face at the 3:40 mark.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline FrDrake

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
Hilarious video where Dwight interupts the interview where Stan is explaining that Dwight tried to get him fired;

I didn't think this was hilarious at all.  Awkward is more like it.  SVG couldn't get out of there fast enough once Dwight showed and put his arm around him like a big phoney.  Dwight also didn't deny anything until SVG had left which is telling....

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
i like how Stan Van Gundy says how he hates BS, then describes what he means by BS...

....then Dwight comes in and does exactly what SVG was referring too
Greg

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
What a mess and as of now we see them in the first round. Lol I see a sweep if things remain the same. This team won't play for each other at this point.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119

I believe Howard asked... listen to what he says after they ask him what SVG said... he doesn't say no AFTER they said SVG said it. He's like, who said I said it... that's how you respond when you are in an argument but you are lying, like, if you can't tell me specifically who said it then you can't prove I'm lying... like "prove it, prove it!" LOL pure liar speak...

SVG isn't lying, listen to the stuff he said and his body language, calm and assertive... he said he hates the BS of people lying about saying it (he's calling DH out). Then what he does when DH puts his arm around him... he is uncomfortable as heck and he quickly tries to leave and he didn't look DH in the eye... you can tell there is tension but he isn't putting up with the "fakeness" of DH.

Yeah, SVG has zero motivation to lie on this subject.  If he's actually the one lying, then Magic management would clearly see this and that would be the nail in the coffin.  Dwight definitely did thi

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
I have no problem with a player like Dwight Howard requesting or demanding that his team fire his coach. If he doesn't believe his coach is good enough to lead that team to a title, it is absolutely his place to demand a change.

It may be his place to demand a bad coach be fired, but I think Stan Van Gundy has done a good enough job so that if Dwight Howard wants a coaching change, it is reasonable to question Howard's judgment.

I completely agree ... and I do think that Dwight Howard is wrong to blame SVG and should be looking instead at both the front office (Otis Smith) and the owner (Richard DeVos).

I can live with players being wrong in their beliefs but what I absolutely cannot stand when that star player is unwilling to stand up for what they believe in -- necessary change for their team to compete for a title -- because they are afraid of a bit of bad press. That is cowardly and it hurts the fans more than anyone else.  

Im also ok with players expressing their beliefs and wants to management...but the timing is completely unprofessional and WRONG.  You are entering playoff mode and your team is still claiming their competing for a championship...you don't bring this to light now.  Wait until the off-season when SVG's contract EXPIRES ANYWAY

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff

I didn't think this was hilarious at all.  Awkward is more like it.  SVG couldn't get out of there fast enough once Dwight showed and put his arm around him like a big phoney.  Dwight also didn't deny anything until SVG had left which is telling....

I guess if I had some sort of feelings towards Dwight or SVG I may feel differently.  Personally, I view Orlando as our competition and I think it's hilarious seeing this entire season blow up in their face.  Dwight is a phony and fake and he's just exposing that to the entire world...also funny to me

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

I believe Howard asked... listen to what he says after they ask him what SVG said... he doesn't say no AFTER they said SVG said it. He's like, who said I said it... that's how you respond when you are in an argument but you are lying, like, if you can't tell me specifically who said it then you can't prove I'm lying... like "prove it, prove it!" LOL pure liar speak...

SVG isn't lying, listen to the stuff he said and his body language, calm and assertive... he said he hates the BS of people lying about saying it (he's calling DH out). Then what he does when DH puts his arm around him... he is uncomfortable as heck and he quickly tries to leave and he didn't look DH in the eye... you can tell there is tension but he isn't putting up with the "fakeness" of DH.

Lol this is so true.

He sounds like every stereotypical guy who gets confronted by his significant other about cheating.  Like straight out of a sitcom or movie:

Girl:  Where were you last night?

[Insert sarcastic answer to avoid answering the question and try to get the person to stop questioning you by making their suspicion sound silly].
Guy:  I went to the strip club and then went home with three of the girls from there.  Come on now, you know that didn’t happen, does that sound like me?

Girl:  You know what I’m talking about, did you sleep with her?

[Guy answers question by repeating question to give him time to think of his real response and to avoid outright lying].
Guy:  Did I sleep with her?

Girl:  Yes, D-I-D—Y-O-U—S-L-E-E-P—W-I-T-H—H-E-R

[Now guy still doesn’t answer question, but follows up with stupid questions while trying to figure out how she knows]
Guy:  Did I sleep with who?  What are you talking about?  Who told you this?

Girl: [reveals source, tells how she heard, or shows presents the supporting evidence] So-and-so told me she saw you and the other girl checking into the Holiday Inn.

[Guy still won’t answer the first question, but answers another part of the question based on a literal interpretation, and tries to discredit source]:
Guy:  No I didn’t check into the Holiday Inn (because technically he didn’t check in the girl checked in or it was actually the Comfort Inn, etc.).  Come on now, you know you can’t believe what so-and-so said, they’re always lying, you know they don’t like me.

Girl: So you’re telling me you didn’t sleep with her?

[Now guy will try to pass off his last answer of “not checking into the Holiday Inn” as an answer for the original question of infidelity]:
Guy:  Come on now, what did I just say?

[Will now try to discredit accuser, but still doesn’t answer question]:
Guy:  You can’t believe everything you hear.  Did you see me do it?  Then you can’t know if it’s true.  If you didn’t see me cheat with your own two eyes, than it’s just gossip.  Come on baby, you really think I’d do something like that to you?  (Guy still hasn’t answered question).

[Now the guy will try to switch topics]:
Guy: Baby you know I love you, look we’re both tired, it's been a long day, we both got work in the morning, how about I take you someplace nice tomorrow?  Let’s go away this weekend.

Sounds like what just happened with Dwight:
Dwight: (sarcastically) Ya the story is true.
Dwight:  (questions sources) Who said that, who did I say that to?  I’m asking you.
Dwight:  (doesn’t answer the original question, but instead replies to another question) I didn’t hear anything. (Of course you didn’t “hear” it, because you were the one who said it, or it wasn't worded exactly how you worded it to management).
Dwight: (still doesn’t answer question, but tries to make it sound like his other answer already answered the question): What did I just say? (you still haven’t answered the question Dwight).
Dwight:  (switching topics while still not answering the question): The only thing I’m concerned with is the game tonight (Way to switch topics Dwight!).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
you know what I think is just so funny.  When Dwight Howard came out of high school, he was made out to be this good natured, religious, yes sir no sir, god fearing, and respectable dude.  Now look at what hes turned into, or exposing himself as.  A selfish, ego driven, backstabbing liar.

It's funny what fame can do to a person, or how much control the media has over your perception of someone

Greg

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I guess it doesn't matter who you pin this embrassing (to say the least ) drama on...the near term effect as I see it will most likey be the undoing of the team and kill the chance for a decent playoff run.  What in the world are the rest of the players suppose to think... ::)

You would think ... DH , SVG and who ever would sit down and work though this ..and not play it out in the media as a forum

All this should have been handled more descretly I would think.

All these adult characters are like little 5 years olds having a temper tantrum and crying for attention  

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I feel bad for him not only does he look like Ron Jeremy but his player wants him fired, ouch.

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Dwight Howard is like a little kid. He sends out these little leaks and smoke signals of what he wants to happen and then backs off and gets all defensive when people ask him about them.

The guy is a wishy-washy headcase.

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
All ik is that I'm glad this guy is not on the Celtics!  Shoulda gone to New Jersey Dwight!
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I wonder if Orlando management asked SVG to resign after the season so that they don't have to fire him and can pretend Howard didn't ask for it and SVG decided not to take one for the team.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference