Author Topic: The dreaded end of game Paul Pierce isolation play  (Read 13041 times)

The dreaded end of game Paul Pierce isolation play
« on: April 05, 2012, 12:24:33 AM »

Offline bostonman1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
Disappointing to see Doc call the Paul Pierce isolation once again late in the game. It's hard to believe that instead of stressing ball movement and avoiding the "hero ball" that Doc detests he falls right back into allowing Pierce to dribble around and take a contested shot.

The worst part is that Doc was happy with the shot and Paul sees nothing wrong with the late game execution either.

"Listen, Paul Pierce taking a step-back at the [free throw line], that's not a bad option," said Rivers. "I just wish we could have done it a bit earlier."

"I was trying to make the shot," said Pierce. "I got the switch on the big man, got to a good place -- I just missed the shot.”

Pressed on if he considered driving, or if he expected the Spurs to give a foul, Pierce shrugged off both notions.

"This type of stuff is not really pre-scripted, you don’t have an idea of what’s going to happen in those type of situations," said Pierce. "You get in those pressure situations and sometimes they work and sometimes they don’t, but the thing is I’m not going to second guess my decision. I thought I got a great shot, created some space right there at the free throw line. It's just some days they fall, some days they don’t."

Doc did seem a bit frustrated that Pierce waited around too long instead of getting into the play quicker -

"We actually said that they probably would [give the foul] and we were trying to get Duncan on a Paul matchup, because we thought we had the speed advantage," said Rivers. "We wanted him to go a little quicker because I thought [Pierce] could’ve beat [Duncan] off the dribble and he would’ve reached the foul line and you know Paul has a knack of getting the ball up. But his step-back is what he wants. I just thought we waited a little too late in the clock.”

The Celtics had 2 timeouts to go over this play and it would seem Doc was stressing to get moving quickly.  It made no sense for Pierce to dribble and wait until the last second to shoot.  At the very least put up a shot with enough time to grab an offensive rebound and another chance to score.  The Celtics had just held the Spurs to 28 points in the second half so even if Boston had left time on the clock their stellar defense would have had a great chance to finish the game.

Paul Pierce is a clutch player and has hit many huge shots over his career.  Of course he is a top option to take big shots late in games.  However relying on Pierce dribbling around and taking contested jumpers instead of using ball movement to get himself or a teammate a much better shot makes little sense.

It's disappointing that Doc isn't able to come up with a better option than just giving Pierce the ball and having everyone else uninvolved late in games. Ray had just hit a wide open look from 3 on the previous possession which resulted from great ball movement.

Instead of running an offensive set Doc went right back to his comfort zone of allowing Pierce to take over by himself.  Doc seems to be missing the point that teams have no problem with allowing Pierce to take contested fadeaway jumpers in crunch time. Otherwise the Spurs would have double teamed to prevent the play that everyone knew was coming. Opposing teams just funnel Pierce further outside and live with the results of a contested shot. If the Celtics would change the script and run a different set then Pierce or his teammates could get much better looks. Instead of seeing this Doc just keeps insisting that isolating Pierce is a good way to finish games even if the results rarely are successful...

Re: The dreaded end of game Paul Pierce isolation play
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 01:20:37 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Paul's clutch stats are pretty good....he shoots over 50% in those situations. A lot of which would be in isolation. You can do a lot worse than pierce shooting out of an ISO to win the game. Paul has also made some great passes to ray for clutch buckets in the past aswell.

If the D is right up on everyone it's hard to just pass the ball round like usual.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 02:16:25 AM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
Paul's clutch stats are pretty good....he shoots over 50% in those situations. A lot of which would be in isolation. You can do a lot worse than pierce shooting out of an ISO to win the game. Paul has also made some great passes to ray for clutch buckets in the past aswell.

If the D is right up on everyone it's hard to just pass the ball round like usual.

That may have been true at some point, but that hasn't been the case for the last 5 years.  I haven't updated my sheet since March 14, but up to that point Pierce was shooting 27% from the field in the last 30 seconds of 1 possession games since the start of the '08 season.  It's actually Ray that's up near 50% (48.8% from the field) in these situations.

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 02:31:11 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3061
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
If it went in you'd be praising Pierce as one of the best, clutch, we beat the hottest team in the league blah bla

Stop it
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 03:21:33 AM »

Offline thestackshow

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 112
Whats the problem here?

When we need a shot, you give the ball to your go to guy.

Kobe gets that same shot and same play when the game is on the line.

It either goes in or it doesent, that had as much as chance to go in as any other shot we could have gotten. I dont have a problem with it.

We put ourselves in that hole to begin with with horrible play for most of the game.
[img width= height=]http://oi43.tinypic.com/2afde6p.jpg[/img]

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 05:27:08 AM »

Offline myteamisbetterthanyours

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 31
If you haven't gotten the memo yet, Paul Pierce is really clutch... He's the go-to-guy.. You give the ball to your go-to-guy in crunch time.  Theres only so many "ball-movement" plays you can run with that little time on the clock anyway.. And those aren't gaurunteed to work either and probably have a greater chance of becoming turnovers.. I have no problem with Pierce taking fade away jumpers from the free throw line to win games... Not one.

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 05:36:08 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Shot was frustrating.
It should have been a much better look but it was horrible in the end.
Needed to take it about 4-5 seconds earlier to get an opportunity at the rebound or foul. I'm surprised they didn't run Avery around the back for a cut or alley oop play.

I don't have a problem with Pierce getting the ball there, he just needs to find the shot much earlier.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 05:40:35 AM »

Offline myteamisbetterthanyours

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 31
Shot was frustrating.
It should have been a much better look but it was horrible in the end.
Needed to take it about 4-5 seconds earlier to get an opportunity at the rebound or foul. I'm surprised they didn't run Avery around the back for a cut or alley oop play.

I don't have a problem with Pierce getting the ball there, he just needs to find the shot much earlier.

Agreed.

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 06:08:34 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
It is my feeling we would have 2 Banners with the big 3 and all that goes with it WITHOUT DOC!!!!! Since Danny's trade we got about 65% of the Teams actual value because of Doc. Of course no one knew Doc would be coaching real talent. We were mediocre before KG. Doc fit right in being a 500 Coach. We put Pee Wee Herman in to run Apple.

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 06:20:00 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42

Does that mean we lose half of the games he took ISO's in? This is Doc protecting his image. Everyone one in the League knows what Doc is up to. This is typical of Pierce when things don't work out, dribble the time away for a fade away.

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 06:21:20 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
PP is the GO TO GUY so the last play is designed for him. Just as Kobe is to LA, DWade to Miami, Durant to OKC.

If it works or not, it's in Pierce's hands and I'm pretty sure his teammates trust him on it.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 06:33:44 AM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30

Kobe has more lift.

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 07:11:12 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

Kobe has more lift.

Kobe also shoots an awful percentage at that shot. Just takes a lot of them and they only show the makes on sportscenter. Look it up. It's a bad shot.

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 07:15:04 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Like Doc said, he should have made his move sooner.  Unfortunately, it took him a couple of seconds to get started.  I still don't hate the shot he got off.  I just wish he had hit it.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 10:32:13 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

That may have been true at some point, but that hasn't been the case for the last 5 years.  I haven't updated my sheet since March 14, but up to that point Pierce was shooting 27% from the field in the last 30 seconds of 1 possession games since the start of the '08 season.  It's actually Ray that's up near 50% (48.8% from the field) in these situations.

http://www.82games.com/1112/CSORT11.HTM

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?