Author Topic: Celtics (30-23) at Bulls (42-13) 4/5  (Read 31384 times)

Celtics (30-23) at Bulls (42-13) 4/5
« on: April 04, 2012, 10:50:19 PM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (30-23) at Chicago Bulls (42-13)
Thursday, April 5
9:30 PM ET
Game #54,  Road Game #26
TV:  TNT, CSNNE, TSN2
Radio:   WEEI,  WMVP
United Center

Probable Starters

PG: Rajon Rondo..................................................SG Ray Allen

C:  Kevin Garnett

SF:  Paul Pierce ................................. ............PF Brandon Bass

Coach: Doc Rivers

Boston Reserves
Ryan Hollins
JaJuan Johnson
Greg Siemsma 
E'Twaun Moore
Avery Bradley
Marquis Daniels
Keyon Dooling
Sasha Pavlovic

Injured
Ray Allen (ankle) probable
Mickael Pietrus (concussion) out
Jermaine O'Neal (wrist)  out 
Greg Stiemsma (feet, thumb) probable

Probable Starters

PG: Derrick Rose ............................................. SG: Rip Hamilton

C:  Joakim Noah 

SF:  Luol Deng .................................................. PF:  Carlos Boozer

Coach:  Tom Thibodeau 

Bulls Bench
John Lucas III
Omer Asik 
Kyle Korver
Taj Gibson
Jimmy Butler
Brian Scalabrine
Ronnie Brewer

Injuries
Derrick Rose (groin) questionable

Team Connections
Bulls Head Coach Tom Thibodeau was a member of the Celtics coaching staff from 2007-10 and was a member of the 2008 NBA Championship coaching staff
Bulls Assistant Coaches Ed Pinckney (1988-94) and Adrian Griffin (1999-2001) played for the Celtics
Brian Scalabrine played for the Celtics from 2005-10 and was a member of the 2008 NBA championship team
Rip Hamilton and Ray Allen both attended the University of Connecticut
Jimmy Butler and Celtics Head Coach Doc Rivers both attended Marquette University
C.J. Watson and Mickael Pietrus were teammates in Golden State during the 2007-08 season
Rip Hamilton and Chris Wilcox were teammates in Detroit from 2009-11

Key Matchups
vs
Kevin Garnett vs Joakim Noah
Noah brings a lot of energy to the Bulls and he is a presence in the paint.  KG has to match his energy.  In the last game between these two teams, Noah got to the basket at will for rebounds and tip ins.  KG has got to box him out and defend the paint. 

vs 
Rajon Rondo vs Derrick Rose
Derrick Rose is expected to return for this game after a lengthy absence with a groin injury.   Rondo always gets up for the big PG matchups and this is a big one with the reigning MVP.  Rose may be rusty after being out so long and so Rondo must be aggressive and go right at Rose all game.     

Honorable Mention

Paul Pierce vs Luol Deng
Pierce and Deng are always a fun matchup to watch.  Pierce has quietly been having a great stretch and was just named Player of the Week for it.  Deng has been playing with a wrist injury and so hasn't been quite as effective as he normally is, but his defense is still very good.  He will make Pierce work for his points. 

Game Notes

This is the 4th and final meeting between these two teams this season.  The Bulls lead the series 2-1 with Chicago winning once in Boston and once in Chicago and the Celtics winning one game in Boston.  In their first meeting in Boston, the Bulls won by 9 and both teams were at full strength.  The second meeting was at Boston and the Celtics won by 4.  Rose and Bass were out.  Their third meeting was in Chicago where the Bulls won by 9 without Rose or Hamilton and the Celtics were missing Bass.   Once again, Rose is questionable for this game and the Celtics will be missing Pietrus. 

The Bulls are 6-4 in their last 10 games while the Celtics have won 7 of their last 10 games.  The Bulls are 21-6 at home and the Celtics are 11-14 on the road.  The Celtics are playing in the second of back to back games while the Bulls had Tuesday and Wednesday off after losing the the Rockets on Monday.  The Celtics expended a lot of energy playing right down to the wire against the Spurs and so hopefully won't run out of energy in this one. 

The Bulls are in first place in the East, 3 games ahead of Miami.  In the overall standings, they are tied with the Thunder in the loss column but they have played 2 more games than OKC.  After their blowout loss in Oklahoma this past week, I'm sure they would love to have home court advantage if those two teams meet in the Finals.  The Celtics are still in 4th spot by virtue of leading the division, but they are also tied with Atlanta for the 6th spot and 2 games behind Indiana for the 5th. 

Both teams need this game.  It will be a matter of which teams plays more aggressively and who wants it more.  This will probably be a grind it out close game similar to the one the Celtics won in Boston and hopefully will have the same result. 

Keys to the Game

Rebound -  The Celtics have been doing better on the boards in recent games but they still need to work harder.  The Bulls are the top rebounding team in the league, pulling down 46.1 per game while the Celtics still rank last with only 38.6 rpg.   The Celtics  have to box out and keep Noah from getting easy tip ins and to keep the Bulls from piling up the second chance baskets.  The Celtics have got to crash the boards as a team and not just expect the bigs to get the rebounds.  They are much more effective when the guards go up strong after rebounds as well. 

Defense
- Defense has been the key to the Celtics recent win streak.  They have worked hard on the defensive end to stop teams that are normally high scoring teams. They let up on defense against the Spurs and allowed too many easy baskets in the first half.  They can't do that against the Bulls.    In this game, they don't face a high scoring team but they face another defensive minded team.  The Bulls are rankes 2nd in points allowed (88.8) while the Celtics are ranked 3rd, allowing 89.8 points per game.  The Celtics are ranked first in field goal percentage, allowing teams to shoot only 42.0% while the Bulls are 4th allowing 42.8% shooting.  This one won't be a bar fight,  it will be all out war. 

Be Aggressive - It's no secret that the more aggressive team is gets the calls and usually the win.  The Celtics must start out being aggressive and that starts with Rondo.  They have to be aggressive on the boards, in defending, in going after loose balls, and especially in getting inside to the basket instead of settling for outside jumpers.  The more aggressive team will more than likely get the win. 

X-Factor
Focus and Fatigue
The Celtics are playing in the second game in as many nights and played hard right to the end against the Spurs.  Hopefully they don't run out of steam before the end of the game.  They can't let up against the Bulls and must play hard from start to finish.  They have to focus on playing their game and not let the refs or the Bulls take them out of it. 

Re: Celtics (30-23) at Bulls (42-13) 4/5
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 11:11:22 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
I feel a big game coming from Rondo...on ESPN, against a top PG in the league..

also, i have a feeling Ray allen is going to have a solid game tomorrow night.

I hope we come out with a W!

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 11:19:13 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
I'm hopeful, as always. And cheering for the C's. We'll know when the game's on if Rose is really back to his old self.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 11:12:07 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Eeep...

JJJ sighting like last bulls game?

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 11:29:47 AM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
We're going to get crushed.  Crushed.

We expended all energy last night, we traveled with no nights rest, and D. Rose is back?

These back to backs on nights after we lose close ones are just the worst.

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 11:31:54 AM »

Online theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
We're going to get crushed.  Crushed.

We expended all energy last night, we traveled with no nights rest, and D. Rose is back?

These back to backs on nights after we lose close ones are just the worst.

I wouldn't write us off just like that, none of the starters really played that much last night outside of Rondo. I'll point to the Clippers win after the Lakers loss as an example. They didn't have to travel that night, of course, but the starters played way more against the Lakers than the Spurs.

Uphill battle for sure though.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 11:32:23 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Celtics get a win tonight! Boom! I said it!!! Rondo goes for a big game. Bass goes for 22 and 11 and Celtics win! LETS GET IT!

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 11:54:24 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Celtics get a win tonight! Boom! I said it!!! Rondo goes for a big game. Bass goes for 22 and 11 and Celtics win! LETS GET IT!
and Rose doesnt know what hit him when AB steps on the court.

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 11:56:21 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
and Rose doesnt know what hit him when AB steps on the court.

YES SIR! Avery is quickly becoming one of my favorite players.

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 12:22:53 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Just a couple of days ago, Rose couldn't run with that groin injury. It's likely that AB will make him move enough to aggravate it. Zero Tolerance!
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 12:38:18 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

Pretty is as pretty does... :-X

Lordy...lordy ....dem Bulls done Won one Championship hands down.

First place in the "ugly face contest"

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 04:13:52 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I don't know how I feel about this one, I feel it'll either go down to the wire where we show up to play or it'll be a complete blowout where we are just spent from last night.

Pretty is as pretty does... :-X

Lordy...lordy ....dem Bulls done Won one Championship hands down.

First place in the "ugly face contest"

LOL he is starting to become a big time flopper watch him when he can't grab a rebound hell dive forward face first like he was shot in the back
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 07:12:50 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Refs tonight: Monty McCutchen, Leroy Richardson, and Sean Wright.

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
Refs tonight: Monty McCutchen, Leroy Richardson, and Sean Wright.

At least I don't see Joey Crawford :D

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 07:39:11 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Bulls will need all the help they can get

they are up against ...drum roll ....

TEAM RONDO !!!!

Hurray ;D