Author Topic: You're In Charge Of Cleaning Up College Basketball. Tell Us How?  (Read 20031 times)

Re: You're In Charge Of Cleaning Up College Basketball. Tell Us How?
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2012, 08:58:46 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Make students go to college for a full four years... If so many jobs in todays world requires a college education and make probably an average of 50k a year if that, then these guys making 10 mil a year should have a college degree in order to play basketball.

i disagree wholeheartedly.  the only way for this to be applicable would be for them to major in basketball.

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2012, 09:22:56 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
The NBA age limit is absurd.  Forcing 18 year olds who have the talent to play in the NBA to play for free for at a college program so that they can be evaluated, is a despicable practice in my opinion.

Expand the D-League to 30 teams, pronto, and get rid of the age limit.

Keep the college athletic scholarships for those kids who actually want or need to go to college.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2012, 09:24:23 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I would say... No More Sports Scholarships.  If you want to play College sports, it is a privilege, not a right.  You have to earn it scholastically. If you don't maintain  grade averages and acceptable class attendance, no sports for you.

If you want a free ride and to simply showcase your basketball talent, try the CBL.  College should not be an internship for professional sports.

I'd imagine the majority of players would qualify for needs-based scholarships anyway.
I believe this also hinges on academic qualification...and like I said, to stay qualifed for extracurricular activities, a requirement should be attendance at classes and GPA.

(It would never happen, too much money is  made by the college from college sports, but it would help clean it up, IMO.)
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2012, 09:46:08 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I would say... No More Sports Scholarships.  If you want to play College sports, it is a privilege, not a right.  You have to earn it scholastically. If you don't maintain  grade averages and acceptable class attendance, no sports for you.

If you want a free ride and to simply showcase your basketball talent, try the CBL.  College should not be an internship for professional sports.

I'd imagine the majority of players would qualify for needs-based scholarships anyway.
I believe this also hinges on academic qualification...and like I said, to stay qualifed for extracurricular activities, a requirement should be attendance at classes and GPA.

(It would never happen, too much money is  made by the college from college sports, but it would help clean it up, IMO.)

They do have that requirement already, even though some colleges still make it ridiculously easy.  Academic qualification also tends to be loose for underrepresented minorities whether or not they are in big-time sports.

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2012, 10:26:26 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Make students go to college for a full four years... If so many jobs in todays world requires a college education and make probably an average of 50k a year if that, then these guys making 10 mil a year should have a college degree in order to play basketball.

i disagree wholeheartedly.  the only way for this to be applicable would be for them to major in basketball.

There are many sports related fields that NBA players could look into. Let them major in Kinesiology, or some type of Athletic training, Coaching, Sports media, sports studies, Anatomy for science of the athletic body, or sports management field. 

If you think the only way for them to be applicable in college at all is to major in basketball then why do we even make them go to college for a year? Why not just go back to taking them out of high school?

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2012, 10:30:12 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
If you think the only way for them to be applicable in college at all is to major in basketball then why do we even make them go to college for a year? Why not just go back to taking them out of high school?

I think the cynical answer is 'because if the NBA makes them go to college for a year, the NCAA gets a full year of (officially) unpaid pro-level talents, while the NBA gets a full year to evaluate prospects, decreasing the chance they pick a dud with a high lotto pick (not that it has seemed to matter much).

Basically its a handshake agreement between colleges and the NBA to screw players. I wish more would go to Europe.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: Fixing the one and done rule
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2012, 10:30:43 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
If you are good enough to contribute in the NBA, then you should be able to play in the NBA regardless of age.

If a team has the rights to Lebron, Amare or Howard, they should be able to play them right away.

There is nothing wrong with one and done. It is NOT the problem of the NBA to worry about colleges being able to fully exploit players who are already NBA ready. And that is what it comes down to. Even worse, if Lebron gets seriously injured in his junior year, he never gets the payday that he was clearly good enough to deserve.

Why is a diploma relevant? These guys can go back to school after their athletic primes are over.

TP, and well said.

I was very disappointed the players union ever allowed this rule.  I was never of the opinion allowing kids straight out of HS to enter the draft was bad.  It was the stupid GM's that had no clue what they were doing that was the problem.

Again though, as I stated in my previous post - I don't think the age limit was as much for the players protection as it was for the owners. They want to see a year of collegiante experience out of these kids so they can better assess their abilities.

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2012, 10:30:54 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

I think the cynical answer is 'because if the NBA makes them go to college for a year, the NCAA gets a full year of (officially) unpaid pro-level talents, while the NBA gets a full year to evaluate prospects, decreasing the chance they pick a dud with a high lotto pick (not that it has seemed to matter much).

Basically its a handshake agreement between colleges and the NBA to screw players. I wish more would go to Europe.

Exactly.

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2012, 10:37:22 AM »

Offline Employee8

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71

There are many sports related fields that NBA players could look into. Let them major in Kinesiology, or some type of Athletic training, Coaching, Sports media, sports studies, Anatomy for science of the athletic body, or sports management field. 

David Stern's official answer to that is he wants NBA scouts out of the high school gym.  I'm sure the real answer is beefing up NCAA basketball's ratings but it's still a nice thought to keep them out of the high school gym.  Let kids be kids.

A Yahoo article has David pushing for a 2 year college stay now.  Don't know if that's happening.

« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2012, 10:44:30 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
They should pay the top players AND make them carry a solid GPA.  The schools sure are making a 'professional' income by touting the best of the best on national tv each week.

If blue chip kids like Davis could earn a 100k at Kentucky (btw, would be worth every penny to KU at that rate) then he probably wouldn't be so inclined to go pro.

Really, D1 ball in the top conferences is all ready Pro. 

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2012, 10:52:58 AM »

Offline Daedalus

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
Give players two options:

a) You go pro right out of high school.  If you don't get drafted, you go into the D-League, or to Europe, or whatever.

b) You go to college for four years and get your degree, then you're eligible for the draft.

Solves a ton of problems.

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2012, 10:55:19 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

a) You go pro right out of high school.  If you don't get drafted, you go into the D-League, or to Europe, or whatever.

b) You go to college for four years and get your degree, then you're eligible for the draft.

I don't see much incentive to go to college in this example.  Imagine getting injured year 2 or 3 and missing your window to earn?

NCAA basketball would get watered down quickly, I'd imagine.  Not that I'd care, can't stand how slow the NCAA game is anyways...

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2012, 11:02:02 AM »

Offline Daedalus

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2

I don't see much incentive to go to college in this example.  Imagine getting injured year 2 or 3 and missing your window to earn?

NCAA basketball would get watered down quickly, I'd imagine.  Not that I'd care, can't stand how slow the NCAA game is anyways...

If you're going to college and you don't intend to stay for four years and get your degree, you don't belong in college.

End of story.

If your main interest in going to college is to go pro, you should go pro out of high school and work on your game 24/7.  You get paid for playing in the D-league, or abroad, and you actually play against grown men.  You also get to learn the game the way it's played at the pro level -- no arcane college rules.

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2012, 11:55:23 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

If you're going to college and you don't intend to stay for four years and get your degree, you don't belong in college.

End of story.

If your main interest in going to college is to go pro, you should go pro out of high school and work on your game 24/7.  You get paid for playing in the D-league, or abroad, and you actually play against grown men.  You also get to learn the game the way it's played at the pro level -- no arcane college rules.

I know countless productive, fine citizens--myself included--who enrolled in college out of high school with the intention of finishing four years and graduating, but for a multitude of different reasons either never finished or took some time off before finishing. 

Are you saying that if a kid accepts a collegiate scholarship to play basketball that he should never be eligible for the NBA
unless he graduates?

If so, I find that absurd.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2012, 12:01:11 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

End of story.

Colleges have the best coaches, the best resources, and at this point, the best exposure (that is, high-level D1 schools)

D-League teams barely pay you enough to live on.

Its hardly 'end of story' as long as those two things remain true.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner