Author Topic: John Calipari: Anthony Davis will be a SF/PF in the NBA  (Read 8107 times)

Re: John Calipari: Anthony Davis will be a SF/PF in the NBA
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 01:01:43 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I suppose I can see his development a lot like KG's:  he's probably got the athleticism to be forced into a SF role for limited minutes, but he's a PF.  Once he becomes bulkier and slower, I could see him moving over to center.

Do you think his unibrow thickness will play a pivotal role here?

LOL wow. I definitely do. He needs to pluck that stuff. I agree he could be like KG and play a little SF early on. After all KG was a SF his first couple of years. Yet, along with the majority of people on here I feel he is a PF that will ultimately play Center much like Camby, Dalembert, Noah, and now KG.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 01:16:36 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
For you college BBall fans out there, I have a question.

Davis was a beast defensively in that championship game, but was more or less a non-entity in offense. Why does Kentucky NEVER seem to run their offense through him? Does he not have any post/back to the basket moves? What's the deal?

Even when they got stagnant in the 2nd half and it briefly looked like Kansas would make the comeback, I was expecting them to try to use Davis a little bit. Nothing.

I mean, part of it is that it is college ball, and college basketball teams absolutely refuse to run plays that don't involve hucking up contested 3 point shots, but I don't think there was a single instance in the game of Davis being used aggressively. They would pass it to him, and he would just pass it right on to someone else.

What's up with that?

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 01:32:50 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

Davis was a beast defensively in that championship game, but was more or less a non-entity in offense. Why does Kentucky NEVER seem to run their offense through him? Does he not have any post/back to the basket moves? What's the deal?

Even when they got stagnant in the 2nd half and it briefly looked like Kansas would make the comeback, I was expecting them to try to use Davis a little bit. Nothing.

I mean, part of it is that it is college ball, and college basketball teams absolutely refuse to run plays that don't involve hucking up contested 3 point shots, but I don't think there was a single instance in the game of Davis being used aggressively. They would pass it to him, and he would just pass it right on to someone else.

What's up with that?

Lamb was hot from deep...they did pass through Davis quite a bit but a long way from the basket...it was more to try and get Withey away from the paint. Davis' shots just didnt fall in the title game.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 01:35:02 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

What's up with that?

when I was watching that game yesterday, it seems Kansas' plan was to take Davis out of the equation for offense, you can definitely see all that defense in that paint and the double team. Davis wasn't given much chance to work his offense against them. However, when he was open, the guy guarding him (probably Whithy, or Robinson ) was doing a good job on 1 vs 1 situations. Though I have to say, I never actually followed Kentucky as much this year but I think he needs more work on his post game

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 02:32:27 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
I can see Davis playing a little SF like KG did with Minnesota purely for defensive purposes against top matchups, but the last thing you want to do is pull Davis away from the basket.  His greatest assets are protecting the basket, rebounding and potentially being a devastating defender of picks.  Those wouldn't be maximized if he's marking just one guy out to the three point line.

It would be fascinating to see him guard top perimeter players.  I think his lateral quickness is great but it's his ability to play way off and not compromise anything because of his length and athleticism that's really fascinating.  Guys might be able to beat him off the dribble but you're going to have to clear him by a big enough distance to get out of his shotblocking radius and that's not going to be easy.

I would love to see him guard Chris Paul for instance at the end of games where Paul makes so many daggers.

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 04:23:02 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
SF? Eh, he has the shot, but I don't think he the passing or ball control.  Just because he was a guard in HS doesn't mean he was a very good guard.  He'll be a PF and that's where he belongs.  He may play center later on once he adds a few lbs, but that's a ways away.
do it