Author Topic: How long before Kentucky gets vacated?  (Read 9924 times)

Re: How long before Kentucky gets vacated?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 11:39:47 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
3 years?

Or will it be faster now with smart phones leaving much more evidence?

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 11:51:02 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Pretty sure Calipari had any future titles pre-vacated as part of his contract when he signed at Kentucky.   ;)
Yup

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 12:13:18 PM »

Offline Bombastic Jones

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 53
Exactly, regardless of whether or not he was found guilty of anything at UMass or Memphis, his final fours were vacated. It wouldn't surprise me if this one is vacated too.  Also, it's not the NCAA's system, it's the NBA's system.  The NCAA has done all it can do to keep kids in school by pushing the deadline up early.  I think a lot of people don't like Calipari because he has embraced the 1 and done, while guys like Roy Williams have wanted nothing to do with it.

Disagree that the NCAA has done all it can.  If the NCAA was serious about its "student-athlete" nonsense it would tie scholarships to graduation rates.  That way if you wanted to rely on 1 and dones you would have to take the hit down the road by giving up future scholarship money.

Having gone to UMASS in the early '90s I loved Cal.  His teams play hard on the court so they are fun to watch.  But I think people not liking him goes beyond the one and done.  His salesman persona seems to rub people the wrong way and he has a sketchy record with program violations.  His Final Four was vacated at UMASS for Camby taking money and jewelry.  His Final Four at Memphis was vacated for Rose allegedly cheating on the SAT (I think) and for Rose's brother travelling with the team (or something like that).  The link above shows that there are allegations about payments for Davis' services at UK this year.  So while people might not be able to point to any violation that is attributable to his actions, he is shadowed by questionable situations.

I don't care much about if/when Kentucky's title gets vacated though; I just hope Terrance Jones is around when the Celtics pick.

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 12:14:45 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Well I mean you got this report from 2010

http://deadspin.com/5606455/sun+times-going-hard-on-uks-pay+for+play-recruit

Im not mad about Kentucky, I couldnt care less, but Cal has a history now, and I don't think its unreasonable for people to be sceptical. 

Not only does Calipari have a history, Kentucky does too - and not one linked to just one coach, athletic director, or sport. 

My impression of Cal (and he's not the only one) is that he thinks "student-athlete" is a farce for top players (which it is) and so while he doesn't get his hands dirty he's happy to look away from whatever might be going on in the background to get his players on his team and eligible to play. 

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 12:23:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Cal's dirty. Know who else is dirty, Calhoun at Connecticut. There's dozens and dozens of dirty head coaches in NCAA basketball. Some are stupid in the way they are dirty and get caught, some are pretty smart about it and don't get caught.

For me it doesn't change a thing. USC won that national championship with Reggie Bush and Kentucky won this national championship.

BTW, expect another next year. Mohammed Shabbazz and Nerlens Noel, the #2 and #1 high school players in the country who are friends have both decided to give their decisions on where they are going on the same day at the same press conference. Kentucky it is.

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 12:36:22 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

'One shot, dozens arrested as UK fans revel'.

If one guy is shot and dozens are arrested, that's not 'revelling'. That's rioting.

It's Kentucky, that's reveling.

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 12:37:07 PM »

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
As soon as he signs a deal to coach the Knicks.

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 01:02:02 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
4-5 yrs

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 02:19:28 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Im not mad about Kentucky, I couldnt care less, but Cal has a history now, and I don't think its unreasonable for people to be sceptical. 

Not only does Calipari have a history, Kentucky does too - and not one linked to just one coach, athletic director, or sport. 

My impression of Cal (and he's not the only one) is that he thinks "student-athlete" is a farce for top players (which it is) and so while he doesn't get his hands dirty he's happy to look away from whatever might be going on in the background to get his players on his team and eligible to play. 

Really don't have any problem with this, if its true. 'Student-Athlete' is a farce.

New thread coming soon.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 02:23:24 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Really don't have any problem with this, if its true. 'Student-Athlete' is a farce.

New thread coming soon.

IP Calipari is very careful, they were talking about it on WEEI today, I think he specifically doesnt call them student athletes, only "players"
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16