Poll

Can GS reach Perk's skill-level or greater?

Yes
80 (60.6%)
No
32 (24.2%)
Undecided
20 (15.2%)

Total Members Voted: 130

Author Topic: Greg Stiemsma's Potential = Perk or Better?  (Read 53846 times)

Greg Stiemsma's Potential = Perk or Better?
« on: April 02, 2012, 11:02:27 PM »

Offline ManchesterCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
If Greg Stiemsma keeps on working hard, stays healthy enough to play (bruised foot and plantar fasciitis, boots considered) in about 2-3 years, can he reach Kendrick Perkins ceiling? Can he be better? His play of the late, although skill-wise not on Perk's level yet, has been making me forget about Perk.

Re: Greg Stiemsma's Potential = Perk or Better?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 11:03:30 PM »

Offline thestackshow

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 112
Hes already at the level Perk was the year we won the title.
[img width= height=]http://oi43.tinypic.com/2afde6p.jpg[/img]

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 11:04:57 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Who knows I guess it could happen.

Stiems is a 26 year old rookie though. Wasn't Perk starting on a championship team when he was 26?

It would be a pretty amazing story to be honest if he got to Perk's level or above it. Close to the Lin story

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 11:05:29 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Perk now or Perk when he was physically fit?

Ive got a sack of potatoes that is as effective as perk now.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 11:05:54 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
Not even close. He'll never be the force that Perk was inside defensively.

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 11:54:00 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I'm pretty satisfied with this Stiemsma, however, I think it will benefit him a lot if he bulks up say 10-15 lbs

other than that, hes blocking shots, taking charges, and has a nice sweet jumper

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 11:57:53 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I'm pretty satisfied with this Stiemsma, however, I think it will benefit him a lot if he bulks up say 10-15 lbs

other than that, hes blocking shots, taking charges, and has a nice sweet jumper

That nice little jumper is worth quite a bit, IMO.  Tips the edge to Steimsma in my book since his defense is already good and improving, and his timing and length are a touch better then Perk's.

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 12:40:22 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
He's giving us some really good minutes lately, but I have a hard time rating him above Perk when:

a) He can't stay on the court for starter's minutes due to fouling
b) In spite of his decent looking jumper, he's still shooting < 50%

He could get there, I'm very encouraged, but I think Perk may have become underrated around here. Guy gave us 10/8/2, shot 60% and played league best post defense against Howard, Bynum, et al. That's still a lot more the Stiemsma. If you go back in time and plug in Stiemsma, I don't think it would have been a good thing.

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 12:47:50 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Not even close. He'll never be the force that Perk was inside defensively.
yeah, i am with you on this one.
i don't think he has the physicality an toughness Perkins had.

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 01:20:40 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Perk was a much better man defender, a better intimidator, and had a higher PER by the time he got to be a vet here.  Stiemsma has done well as a rookie and may be a better weak side shock-blocker already, and may be a better offensive threat down the road.  Tougher to see Stiemsma as a better man defender and intimidator down the road without a lot more muscle, which he may not have the body for.

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 02:50:10 AM »

Offline 5.9.20.34.43

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 21
The scowl alone put fear into men's hearts....I like the Steamer but he's got a ways to go. Since Perk is no longer here I say we keep him and see how he develops. Can't have him turn into a 20 10 guy for another team. He's seems to be learning the offense as well.

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 02:53:13 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
He's giving us some really good minutes lately, but I have a hard time rating him above Perk when:

a) He can't stay on the court for starter's minutes due to fouling

Perkins didnt exactly avoid calls either...

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 04:06:09 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
If "skill level" =/= "skill set"...

So far Perk seemingly has peaked. 20 minutes a game. So at his best, he was a solid complementary starter on a championship team with a very specific, precise role.

Sure, Stiemsma won't be a menacing defensive monster in the middle, he does not look like he has the personality or the body type to do so. But what he can be is a solid cog on both the offensive and defensive end.

Perk sets good screens. That's all.

Stiems can shoot. I saw Stiems playing the garbageman a few times. At the very least he has at least an inch on Perk, a lot more lift and can finish off assists better.

If you look at it that way, Stiemsma's ceiling is higher than Perk's when you consider that Stiemsma can be slightly more complete.

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 06:10:05 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Steamer may lack the presence and perception. But big body or not, he has great defensive skills and timing. He can read body language and blocks or changes shots. I think he'll be able to adjust that talent to read where the ball falls after a missed shot and grab the rebound. He's young and never lacks effort.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 06:39:28 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Perk is arguably the most limited player to start for a championship team.  Mind you as a starter he didn't play that many minutes or finish out games.  Hard working guy but a center that can play low post defense really well, block shots and sometimes set good picks (I seem to remember lots of foul calls on picks); well it doesn't take much to have better potential.
One of my most dreadful perk era memories was perk getting the ball on the top of the key, he couldn't shoot it, dribble it or pass it that well.  Stiemsma can hit the outside shot, you have to guard him.  His shot blocking is on par with best in nba and his passing is nice.  His foot speed is way above a healthy Perk and he simply seems to have a better basketball iq or understanding of the game.
I'm glad Perk got the contract because OKC is probably cringing.