Poll

Can GS reach Perk's skill-level or greater?

Yes
80 (60.6%)
No
32 (24.2%)
Undecided
20 (15.2%)

Total Members Voted: 130

Author Topic: Greg Stiemsma's Potential = Perk or Better?  (Read 54089 times)

Re: Greg Stiemsma's Potential = Perk or Better?
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2012, 08:27:10 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
By the way - I marked yes.

But it is imperative that he remains in Green. He won't replace Perk's UBUNTU entirely, but as long as he's next to KG he can reach Perk's potential skill-set wise.

He is already a slightly better scorer than Perk...he has a nice fluid jumper from mid-range.

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2012, 08:36:51 AM »

Offline LeoMoreno

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11
There's no possible way to say who's better, but you could say the Celtics play different game with Stiemsma.

Defensively, Perkins was the paint presence. When you wanted to cut, you'd run into Perkins - if you wanted out, Garnett was all over you. He didn't block that many shots but any 7-footer is naturally bound to block some easy ones. GS, however, isn't more of a presence in the paint than a robot hand guarding the rim, strapped onto the shot clock. Refs call basically any contact on Stiemsma a foul which is quite reasonable, but they are starting to give him some slack (2 charges that refs easily called fouls few weeks back). He's had to play weak and cave in the paint because he's always had the foul trouble. When refs start respecting him more - expect to see a lot tougher D from him. As for his shot blocking: pay attention to his attempts to block, that's maybe the most talent for blocking shots anyone currently has in the NBA. Incredible.

Offensively there's not much to say: We've become a shooting team, Perkins never shot the ball, he'd (we all remember Tommy saying this as I noticed) take the ball down to his ankles and then try dunking even though he's got 3 players on his back (literally). Stiemsma is fast, agile, he finishes below the rim and shoots well as of late. Remember he used to miss a lot of jumpers early in the season because he lacked confidence. Now he hits a lot. He fights for rebounds just like Perk did, except he does it with a lot more agility than Perk. He's a lot faster but doesn't box out as well as Perk did, enabling Pierce and KG to crash the boards.

We became a no-rebounding, shooting team once Perk left. Stiemsma fits into that perfectly. He's the first player up the floor after Rondo, unlike Perk who crosses the half-court line at 14 seconds left for the attack. However, we look as soft defensively as EVER. We're still really tough, but no team attacks us with fear any more.

My heart is with Mr Kendrick The Scowl Perkins, but Stiemsma, in his rookie year, already bought my desire to have him for a long time because he will always be underrated.  ;)

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2012, 08:37:22 AM »

Offline Kuberski1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Perk was a solid interior defender, which doesn't show up in the numbers.  He could hold his own one on one with anyone, which let KG roam/rebound, and meant the wings didn't have to worry much about doubling.  Same can't be said of Steamer, or most other 5s.

Outside of that though, I think Steamer is close to or equal Perk.  Better outside shooter, better hands, poorer inside scorer, draw at rebounder.....a great grab out of nowhere.

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2012, 08:40:09 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
My expectations for Stiemsma are for him to become a high level backup center. Perk is, or at least was (before that knee injury), a solid starting level center (top 20 center) which is another step up over where I expect Stiemsma to land.

It's not inconceivable that Stiemsma can push on become more than a high level backup center but I think the likelihood is pretty low.

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2012, 08:40:20 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Im pretty suprised that so many people think that Stiemsma can be as good or better than Kareem Abdul Perkins.  
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2012, 08:46:27 AM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
Im pretty suprised that so many people think that Stiemsma can be as good or better than Kareem Abdul Perkins.  

Well, Stiemsma already has better defensive efficiency ratings than Perk ever has during his career. Granted, it's on a small sample size, but that's still pretty impressive.

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2012, 08:50:19 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Well, Stiemsma already has better defensive efficiency ratings than Perk ever has during his career. Granted, it's on a small sample size, but that's still pretty impressive.

Any stats that show that Stiemsma is a better defender than Perk in his prime are flawed.  I don't really give defensive metrics much creedence in basketball and baseball, many times they don't pass the eyeball test.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2012, 09:02:05 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I dont think so. Perk impacts the game with his intimidation and his leadership, bringing guys together by speaking up, communicating, and providing great chemistry. Steamer doesnt seem like he can carry that load, although he can turn into a servicable player.

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2012, 09:03:22 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Any stats that show that Stiemsma is a better defender than Perk in his prime are flawed.  I don't really give defensive metrics much creedence in basketball and baseball, many times they don't pass the eyeball test.

I think you're forgetting how many shots the Stiemer blocks or alters.

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2012, 09:05:38 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I think Stiesma has already passed Perk's skill level.  Perk is a better defender, I think, but I can't think of anything else he does better than Stiesma on the court.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2012, 09:11:57 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

I realize how many he blocks/alters.   I think your forgetting about the years where perk averaged 8ppg 8 rpg and 2 blks.

Perk also altered alot of shots and did things that don't show up on the stat sheet

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2012, 09:26:31 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I think Stiesma has already passed Perk's skill level.  Perk is a better defender, I think, but I can't think of anything else he does better than Stiesma on the court.

Perkins was a better defender, better rebounder and better low post scorer.

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2012, 09:45:41 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

I realize how many he blocks/alters.   I think your forgetting about the years where perk averaged 8ppg 8 rpg and 2 blks.

Perk also altered alot of shots and did things that don't show up on the stat sheet

Perk was my favorite Celtic every year he was on the team.  But he only averaged 8 8 2 one year: '08-'09. 

He's also never averaged more than 0.4 steals per game.  Stiemer's 50% higher than Perk's peak at that playing 12 minutes per game.

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2012, 09:48:35 AM »

Offline ahares

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
I think you also have to factor in that Steamboat is playing limited minutes and is coming of the bench. Perk started and played a lot of minutes with the C's. Right now I believe hes at a draw with Perk at his best, but at this point I would rather have Greg. I would really like to see what kind of numbers he could put up getting starter minutes.
 In a strange way he is a combination of Perk and Krstic to me. I also love that hes willing to listen and grow as a player and I think after the championship season Perk became complacent. But it does go without saying that they are both better playing with KG then not.

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2012, 09:49:17 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Perk was my favorite Celtic every year he was on the team.  But he only averaged 8 8 2 one year: '08-'09. 

He's also never averaged more than 0.4 steals per game.  Stiemer's 50% higher than Perk's peak at that playing 12 minutes per game.

RyeNye said that Steamer has better defensive stats than Perk at any point his career.  I only needed one year to prove my point.  And the year after that Perk average 10 ppg, 7.6 rpg and 1.7 blk, again, not too shabby.