Poll

Can GS reach Perk's skill-level or greater?

Yes
80 (60.6%)
No
32 (24.2%)
Undecided
20 (15.2%)

Total Members Voted: 130

Author Topic: Greg Stiemsma's Potential = Perk or Better?  (Read 54082 times)

Re: Greg Stiemsma's Potential = Perk or Better?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 06:59:52 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Perk is arguably the most limited player to start for a championship team.  Mind you as a starter he didn't play that many minutes or finish out games.  Hard working guy but a center that can play low post defense really well, block shots and sometimes set good picks (I seem to remember lots of foul calls on picks); well it doesn't take much to have better potential.
One of my most dreadful perk era memories was perk getting the ball on the top of the key, he couldn't shoot it, dribble it or pass it that well.  Stiemsma can hit the outside shot, you have to guard him.  His shot blocking is on par with best in nba and his passing is nice.  His foot speed is way above a healthy Perk and he simply seems to have a better basketball iq or understanding of the game.
I'm glad Perk got the contract because OKC is probably cringing.

Perk also has that slow gather and gets stripped because of that. I don't know if Stiems has that slow gather though.

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 07:08:05 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Perk is arguably the most limited player to start for a championship team.  Mind you as a starter he didn't play that many minutes or finish out games.  Hard working guy but a center that can play low post defense really well, block shots and sometimes set good picks (I seem to remember lots of foul calls on picks); well it doesn't take much to have better potential.
One of my most dreadful perk era memories was perk getting the ball on the top of the key, he couldn't shoot it, dribble it or pass it that well.  Stiemsma can hit the outside shot, you have to guard him.  His shot blocking is on par with best in nba and his passing is nice.  His foot speed is way above a healthy Perk and he simply seems to have a better basketball iq or understanding of the game.

Perk also has that slow gather and gets stripped because of that. I don't know if Stiems has that slow gather though.
:O)  yes i can hear tommy now, perk would always want to dunk, take the ball low gather himself.....and get stripped
I like perk as a player and love his work ethic but he is highly overvalued by some here

so limited players to start for championship teams?  after a shower & coffee I come up with the bulls duo Luc Longley & Bill Winnington, I believe they were both starters.  Longley was a good all around player but not someone I would consider a starter, Winnington who I could have the last name wrong, ran floor good, had a jumper and banged
any other names come to mind?

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 07:09:42 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Actually, if you go by PER, Stiemer (37th) is already way ahead of Perkins (57th).

Perkins has the least Value Added out of any center in the entire league, backup or starter.

I know people are gonna say "but you can't use advanced metrics to evaluate Perk, he has intangibles, and sets great picks!"  Whatever.

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 07:23:24 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is a better shot blocker and shooter but he falls short on low post positional D.  Neither was anything but average rebounders for their size.

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 07:28:58 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
He is a better shot blocker and shooter but he falls short on low post positional D.  Neither was anything but average rebounders for their size.

good points. and neither really should be starting on an nba team.

the steamer is a very nice backup center. but unless he suddenly develops better athleticism, gets tougher under the basket, and lowers his number of fouls, i dont see him as moving beyond that level in the future.

i wish he could rebound better than he does, as well as block out more effectively. maybe the coaches can improve his play in these areas.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 07:30:19 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
They are about the same age.  Maybe Perkins will develop a better shot than Stiesma...  or develop into a better shot blocker.  Maybe Stiesma's ceiling is Perk and Perk's ceiling is Stiesma.

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 07:39:25 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

good points. and neither really should be starting on an nba team.

the steamer is a very nice backup center. but unless he suddenly develops better athleticism, gets tougher under the basket, and lowers his number of fouls, i dont see him as moving beyond that level in the future.

i wish he could rebound better than he does, as well as block out more effectively. maybe the coaches can improve his play in these areas.

Stiemer's fouling isn't really a problem.  He's a rookie playing tough D and getting rookie calls, but he's clearly been learning fast--and getting tougher under the basket.

You're right he's got to block out better, but I see no evidence that there's any defensive technique he's not at least physically adequate for and willing and likely to learn.

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 07:53:14 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
To me , Perk seemed like an underachiever, you saw how big and imtimidating he came off.and I was mostly left frustrated watching. Expecting this 7 foot monster sized man break bad and throw in 20 points a night.

Greg on the otherhand, is so unassuming , quiet , lurking like a mouse, but shows some nice moves on Defense and comes up with some surprizing nice plays when it appears he is just standing around .  GS runs the court more often and has better sustained energy than Perk to me.

One of the opponent threads called GS ..."CASPER" the friendly ghost.  ;D

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 07:58:37 AM »

Offline CelticsFanNC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
  I put undecided.  

Perkins did some nice things here.  Yes he is way over rated by some Celtic fans.  His defense benefited a great deal from playing alongside of KG(as does Stiemsma's).  Offensively other then setting picks he was just about useless and many of his picks were of the moving, offensive foul variety.  He was someone you didn't want to see in the paint if you were a slasher because he was going to hammer you.   He made opposing players earn everything they got in the paint.

Stiemsma is a different kind of player.  He is a very good shot blocker.  He moves his feet better then Perkins does.  He isn't nearly as much of a liability on offense as Perkins is.  He also at least at this point isn't the deterrent to opposing players driving to the hole that Perk was.

Stiemsma at this point isn't better then Perkins was before Perk tore his knee up but if he works hard he could be as good or even better IMO.

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 08:11:02 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
 I put undecided.  

Perkins did some nice things here.  Yes he is way over rated by some Celtic fans.  His defense benefited a great deal from playing alongside of KG(as does Stiemsma's).  Offensively other then setting picks he was just about useless and many of his picks were of the moving, offensive foul variety.  He was someone you didn't want to see in the paint if you were a slasher because he was going to hammer you.   He made opposing players earn everything they got in the paint.

Stiemsma is a different kind of player.  He is a very good shot blocker.  He moves his feet better then Perkins does.  He isn't nearly as much of a liability on offense as Perkins is.  He also at least at this point isn't the deterrent to opposing players driving to the hole that Perk was.

Stiemsma at this point isn't better then Perkins was before Perk tore his knee up but if he works hard he could be as good or even better IMO.

All of his teammates say he is a humble listener--who works hard.

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 08:15:49 AM »

Offline Celticsfan336

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 44
Stiemsma's potential is a great around the rim defender.
He is not going to have the offensive skills or the rebounding skills to become Yao Mind or Marc Gasol where he can dominate in the low post.

He averaged 3 points a game in college.....with 3 rebounds and blocks per 13 minutes. Thats not bad but jeez I dont see the potential to be much.

Perk is a completely different player, and enforcer. I dont think Steimsma has half the toughness Perk had. But he can make up for it with his long arms, etc.

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2012, 08:20:11 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
I like at him as more of an Ibaka ceiling.

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2012, 08:20:31 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'm not sure if Perk will EVER be replaced. He brought a lot more than just tough interior defense, garbage buckets, and shot-blocking.

He brought UBUNTU. He took a HUGE portion of that with him when he went to OKC.

Great thing is that Pietrus seems to have replaced a lot of that UBUNTU.

Stiem? I really like the man. He is getting there for us..gives great effort on defense...timely shot-blocking...he is rather tough inside.

If Stiem can give us close to what Perk gave us when he was here, that is reason alone to sign him for a few years, as KG wanted.

As some have noted in the thread, KG makes just about any big we have look good.

Plus, if Stiem can throw in one of THESE next time we play MIA, that would help his cause, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQHE08_vEHA

;D

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2012, 08:21:37 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

:O)  yes i can hear tommy now, perk would always want to dunk, take the ball low gather himself.....and get stripped
I like perk as a player and love his work ethic but he is highly overvalued by some here

so limited players to start for championship teams?  after a shower & coffee I come up with the bulls duo Luc Longley & Bill Winnington, I believe they were both starters.  Longley was a good all around player but not someone I would consider a starter, Winnington who I could have the last name wrong, ran floor good, had a jumper and banged
any other names come to mind?

I'm too young of a fan so I can only quote recent teams. Bruce Bowen is one.

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2012, 08:25:37 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Fans tend to over-rate players who earn a reputation of being a hard-working, blue-collar type player who does the "little things".

Am I talking about Stiemsma, Perkins, or both?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference