Author Topic: Pitino snubbed by Hall of Fame  (Read 11111 times)

Re: Pitino snubbed by Hall of Fame
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2012, 09:57:06 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
A good coach shouldn't have to yell as much as him
you must think even less of Bobby Knight then (or many other coaches that yell at their players and the refs)

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2012, 10:00:18 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
a bit surprised he didn't get in. 

torn between worshipping his time at PC as a PC fan and despising him for his time with the C's.

his career, other than the C's, has been impressive.  He's also not been taken down by scandal during his career and he's spawned so many other college coaches who either assisted under him or played for him.

He'll get in eventually. 

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2012, 10:16:58 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
Pitino absolutely deserves to make it based upon his college career. 

Pitino holds the distinction of being the only men's coach in NCAA history to lead three different schools (Providence, Kentucky, and Louisville) to a Final Four. (John Calipari did the same, but two of his Final Four appearances were later vacated by the NCAA.) Pitino is also only one of three coaches ever to take his school to the Final Four in four separate decades

His 616 wins and .731 winning percentage are also impressive.  Among college coaches, few have been more consistent.

While you are right. I don't care. He ran this franchise into the ground. Came in acting like a basketball savior and left like he was the Celtic version of the anti-christ.

He gets what he deserves based on a horrid NBA career. It is after all the basketball HOF not the college basketball HOF. 

Are 3 1/2 years in the NBA enough to derail the rest of his career, where he was extremely successful as both an NBA and college coach?

Also, it's hard to say that Pitino "ran this franchise into the ground", when he took over a team that finished 15-67.  Pitino was a lousy GM, but he left this team in, at worst, the same position it was in when he took over.
First of all I totally totally disagree.

I had waaaayyyy more hope for a great Celtics future the day he was signed and even the day before he was signed than I had when he left. When he showed up he had seemingly fine young pieces in Toine and Eric Williams, and what would clearly be two very good draft picks.
Then he turned it into crud or nba purgatory at best, and it would have been worse had Pierce not fallen to him. 

But let's just agree for a minute. Is that what he was paid all that money for? He was paid like a king to leave a 15-67 team in the same condition 3.5 years later?  How could he have made it worse? Well he could trade away a high pick for Vitally Potapenko. That would make it worse. He could trade away Billups after like 35 games or something. Oh wait. He did that.  He really did that.
Here is the entirety of the moves he made http://prosportstransactions.com/basketball/Search/SearchResults.php?Player=&Team=celtics&BeginDate=1997-05-06&EndDate=2001-01-08&PlayerMovementChkBx=yes&submit=Search

Here is the roster from the 96-97 team that won a whoppling 15 games - http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/1997.html

Here is the 2000-2001 team that he left midseason http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/2001.html

Some notable moves (both good and bad)

Free Agent Signings
Travis knight
Andrew Declerq
Bruce Bowen
Chris Mills
Adrian Griffin

Trades
E. Williams for 2 seconds
Mills & 2 seconds for McCarty, Jones, Thomas, Brooks
Billups, Brown, Thomas, Rogers for Anderson, Popeye, Tabak
Declerq, 1999 first (Andre Miller) for Potapenko
Knight for Battie
Mercer, Popeye, Schintzius for Fortson, E. Williams, E. Washington, 2001-2004 Celtics Choice 1st round pick (which could have been Melo, Wade or Bosh, but Wallace used it in 2011 for Kedrick Brown)
Fortson, Barros for Pack, Hot Rod, 2001 1st (was the Forte pick)

Draft Picks
Billups
Mercer
B. Pepper
Pierce
Moiso

All in all, Pitino left the team in much better shape then when he took over.  He drafted Pierce, he brought in Battie, Anderson, kept Walker, etc. (who would all be key members of the early 2000 playoff runs).  He also had the Denver pick with the Celtics choice, he had what would be the 21st pick in 2001, and every single first going forward for the Celtics. 

And frankly a lot of the bad moves he made, he was able to correct, i.e. trading Knight for Battie, getting the extra draft picks to help with the loss of the one he gave up for Potapenko, etc.  Even the Billups trade wasn't that bad when you look at the entirety of the circumstances (billups took a long time to develop and Anderson was pretty darn good for the Celtics for a few years).  He certainly missed on Moiso, but that was a pretty weak draft overall.  If Wallace, who Pitino brought in unfortunately, wasn't a complete and utter idiot (I mean seriously taking the Denver pick in 2001 which was 11 when you already had 10 and 21 - terrible, and Forte was just an awful pick), than I think people would look a bit differently at the Pitino era.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2012, 05:45:44 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If he gets in it won't be because of his NBA tenure.  His career winning percentage in the NBA is .47% that is not good at all.

Didn't resign Wesley.  Started the horror that was Potapenko. Drafted Moiso.  PP fell to him.

I am sorry but his tenure here was not that good.  Sub .500 isn't not good in my book.  He would have been a genius though if he got Duncan I suppose.  But all he tried to do was get UK guys and they did not play efficiently as a pros.

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Pitino absolutely deserves to make it based upon his college career. 

Pitino holds the distinction of being the only men's coach in NCAA history to lead three different schools (Providence, Kentucky, and Louisville) to a Final Four. (John Calipari did the same, but two of his Final Four appearances were later vacated by the NCAA.) Pitino is also only one of three coaches ever to take his school to the Final Four in four separate decades

His 616 wins and .731 winning percentage are also impressive.  Among college coaches, few have been more consistent.

While you are right. I don't care. He ran this franchise into the ground. Came in acting like a basketball savior and left like he was the Celtic version of the anti-christ.

He gets what he deserves based on a horrid NBA career. It is after all the basketball HOF not the college basketball HOF. 

Are 3 1/2 years in the NBA enough to derail the rest of his career, where he was extremely successful as both an NBA and college coach?

Also, it's hard to say that Pitino "ran this franchise into the ground", when he took over a team that finished 15-67.  Pitino was a lousy GM, but he left this team in, at worst, the same position it was in when he took over.
First of all I totally totally disagree.

I had waaaayyyy more hope for a great Celtics future the day he was signed and even the day before he was signed than I had when he left. When he showed up he had seemingly fine young pieces in Toine and Eric Williams, and what would clearly be two very good draft picks.
Then he turned it into crud or nba purgatory at best, and it would have been worse had Pierce not fallen to him. 

But let's just agree for a minute. Is that what he was paid all that money for? He was paid like a king to leave a 15-67 team in the same condition 3.5 years later?  How could he have made it worse? Well he could trade away a high pick for Vitally Potapenko. That would make it worse. He could trade away Billups after like 35 games or something. Oh wait. He did that.  He really did that.
Here is the entirety of the moves he made http://prosportstransactions.com/basketball/Search/SearchResults.php?Player=&Team=celtics&BeginDate=1997-05-06&EndDate=2001-01-08&PlayerMovementChkBx=yes&submit=Search

Here is the roster from the 96-97 team that won a whoppling 15 games - http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/1997.html

Here is the 2000-2001 team that he left midseason http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/2001.html

Some notable moves (both good and bad)

Free Agent Signings
Travis knight
Andrew Declerq
Bruce Bowen
Chris Mills
Adrian Griffin

Trades
E. Williams for 2 seconds
Mills & 2 seconds for McCarty, Jones, Thomas, Brooks
Billups, Brown, Thomas, Rogers for Anderson, Popeye, Tabak
Declerq, 1999 first (Andre Miller) for Potapenko
Knight for Battie
Mercer, Popeye, Schintzius for Fortson, E. Williams, E. Washington, 2001-2004 Celtics Choice 1st round pick (which could have been Melo, Wade or Bosh, but Wallace used it in 2011 for Kedrick Brown)
Fortson, Barros for Pack, Hot Rod, 2001 1st (was the Forte pick)

Draft Picks
Billups
Mercer
B. Pepper
Pierce
Moiso

All in all, Pitino left the team in much better shape then when he took over.  He drafted Pierce, he brought in Battie, Anderson, kept Walker, etc. (who would all be key members of the early 2000 playoff runs).  He also had the Denver pick with the Celtics choice, he had what would be the 21st pick in 2001, and every single first going forward for the Celtics. 

And frankly a lot of the bad moves he made, he was able to correct, i.e. trading Knight for Battie, getting the extra draft picks to help with the loss of the one he gave up for Potapenko, etc.  Even the Billups trade wasn't that bad when you look at the entirety of the circumstances (billups took a long time to develop and Anderson was pretty darn good for the Celtics for a few years).  He certainly missed on Moiso, but that was a pretty weak draft overall.  If Wallace, who Pitino brought in unfortunately, wasn't a complete and utter idiot (I mean seriously taking the Denver pick in 2001 which was 11 when you already had 10 and 21 - terrible, and Forte was just an awful pick), than I think people would look a bit differently at the Pitino era.
If he left us in much better shape then I have to wonder why he left mid season

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2012, 07:36:47 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
A good coach shouldn't have to yell as much as him
you must think even less of Bobby Knight then (or many other coaches that yell at their players and the refs)
Not a big fan of Bobby Knight and definitely wouldn't want my kid playing for a guy with such an obvious compensation issue.