Author Topic: Pitino snubbed by Hall of Fame  (Read 11100 times)

Re: Pitino snubbed by Hall of Fame
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 04:08:06 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Travesty he was nominated

Seems like justice to me...when Pitino insisted he needed to be President of the Celtics.. pushing Red aside he sealed his fate with me.  Pompous, egotistical, buffoon, bottom feeder, horses ass, etc.. Lowest point for the C's.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 04:55:19 PM »

Offline KeepBigAl

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 8
Obviously, he should be in - he's top 10 greatest college coaches ever - rebuilt 4 programs, 6 final fours, and a national championship.

People act as if he purposely destroyed the Cs, and I have a feeling many who comment are too young to even remember all the details. He tried, but it didn't work, and he's not the devil (that's either Phil Jackson or Bill Laimbeer).

Maybe the negativity in this town can suck sometimes.

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 05:05:03 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
He's a bum.

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 05:13:34 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
Obviously, he should be in - he's top 10 greatest college coaches ever - rebuilt 4 programs, 6 final fours, and a national championship.

People act as if he purposely destroyed the Cs, and I have a feeling many who comment are too young to even remember all the details. He tried, but it didn't work, and he's not the devil (that's either Phil Jackson or Bill Laimbeer).

Maybe the negativity in this town can suck sometimes.

How many right decisions did he make while in charge of the C's?  Red?  Billups?  Fox, Wesley--nearly every, if not every decision he made proved to be wrong.  And I am old enough to remember.  Realistically his college record gets him in, but he should be scorned by Celtic fans for multiple reasons.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 05:20:56 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Pitino absolutely deserves to make it based upon his college career. 

Pitino holds the distinction of being the only men's coach in NCAA history to lead three different schools (Providence, Kentucky, and Louisville) to a Final Four. (John Calipari did the same, but two of his Final Four appearances were later vacated by the NCAA.) Pitino is also only one of three coaches ever to take his school to the Final Four in four separate decades

His 616 wins and .731 winning percentage are also impressive.  Among college coaches, few have been more consistent.

While you are right. I don't care. He ran this franchise into the ground. Came in acting like a basketball savior and left like he was the Celtic version of the anti-christ.

He gets what he deserves based on a horrid NBA career. It is after all the basketball HOF not the college basketball HOF. 

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 05:24:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Pitino holds the distinction of being the only men's coach in NCAA history to lead three different schools (Providence, Kentucky, and Louisville) to a Final Four. (John Calipari did the same, but two of his Final Four appearances were later vacated by the NCAA.) Pitino is also only one of three coaches ever to take his school to the Final Four in four separate decades

His 616 wins and .731 winning percentage are also impressive.  Among college coaches, few have been more consistent.

While you are right. I don't care. He ran this franchise into the ground. Came in acting like a basketball savior and left like he was the Celtic version of the anti-christ.

He gets what he deserves based on a horrid NBA career. It is after all the basketball HOF not the college basketball HOF. 

Are 3 1/2 years in the NBA enough to derail the rest of his career, where he was extremely successful as both an NBA and college coach?

Also, it's hard to say that Pitino "ran this franchise into the ground", when he took over a team that finished 15-67.  Pitino was a lousy GM, but he left this team in, at worst, the same position it was in when he took over.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 05:27:10 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

i love that response :)   tp

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 05:46:16 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

This ^  TP

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 08:33:06 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton

Are 3 1/2 years in the NBA enough to derail the rest of his career, where he was extremely successful as both an NBA and college coach?

Also, it's hard to say that Pitino "ran this franchise into the ground", when he took over a team that finished 15-67.  Pitino was a lousy GM, but he left this team in, at worst, the same position it was in when he took over.
  Unless hope is tangible, then he left us in in a deeper hole.

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 08:54:30 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
He's a bum.
I will not have you speaking that way about bums. Did a bum ever take millions from you, act like you're an idiot, quit in the middle of the season, try to sell you a book called Success is a Choice, and then do heinous things later on? Did he?

Just a very cruel thing to say about bums.

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 09:01:54 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

First of all I totally totally disagree.

I had waaaayyyy more hope for a great Celtics future the day he was signed and even the day before he was signed than I had when he left. When he showed up he had seemingly fine young pieces in Toine and Eric Williams, and what would clearly be two very good draft picks.
Then he turned it into crud or nba purgatory at best, and it would have been worse had Pierce not fallen to him. 

But let's just agree for a minute. Is that what he was paid all that money for? He was paid like a king to leave a 15-67 team in the same condition 3.5 years later?  How could he have made it worse? Well he could trade away a high pick for Vitally Potapenko. That would make it worse. He could trade away Billups after like 35 games or something. Oh wait. He did that.  He really did that.

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2012, 09:26:57 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He sticks way to much to his system and gave away players who were good because he lacked ability to change the system  to capitalize on their talent.  See Joe Johnson for reference.

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2012, 09:28:51 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
A good coach shouldn't have to yell as much as him

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2012, 09:31:48 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He sticks way to much to his system and gave away players who were good because he lacked ability to change the system  to capitalize on their talent.  See Joe Johnson for reference.

Don't blame Pitino for Joe Johnson.  That was the Obie / Chris Wallace combo.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2012, 09:42:31 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Just a micromanager that gets by yelling at college kids and then recruits more of them.