Author Topic: Pitino snubbed by Hall of Fame  (Read 11098 times)

Pitino snubbed by Hall of Fame
« on: March 29, 2012, 07:57:58 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Re: Pitino snubbed by Hall of Fame
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 08:14:04 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Travesty he was nominated

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 08:34:46 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 11:01:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Pitino absolutely deserves to make it based upon his college career. 

Pitino holds the distinction of being the only men's coach in NCAA history to lead three different schools (Providence, Kentucky, and Louisville) to a Final Four. (John Calipari did the same, but two of his Final Four appearances were later vacated by the NCAA.) Pitino is also only one of three coaches ever to take his school to the Final Four in four separate decades

His 616 wins and .731 winning percentage are also impressive.  Among college coaches, few have been more consistent.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 09:29:56 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
Can't exactly say I am sorry to hear that!
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 09:38:17 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Pitino holds the distinction of being the only men's coach in NCAA history to lead three different schools (Providence, Kentucky, and Louisville) to a Final Four. (John Calipari did the same, but two of his Final Four appearances were later vacated by the NCAA.) Pitino is also only one of three coaches ever to take his school to the Final Four in four separate decades

His 616 wins and .731 winning percentage are also impressive.  Among college coaches, few have been more consistent.
It's just that I find him to be an evil loser who makes me throw up in my mouth every time I think of him, and if I saw him in a restaurant I wouldn't ever eat there again.

I think that should matter.  

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 09:10:12 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I'm not sure why he didn't get in, unless it has something to do with the extortion attempt.  I am sure he'll get in eventually.
do it

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 09:17:39 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Travesty he was nominated

This is more like it.

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 09:36:27 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

That distinction is based on the fact that he's a job hopper. I'd say that puts him ahead of people that never accomplish multiple trips to the final four, but a little behind people who do what he did at the same school. Just IMO.

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 10:22:06 AM »

Offline KY Celts fan

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
He'll get in eventually.

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 10:46:31 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

That distinction is based on the fact that he's a job hopper. I'd say that puts him ahead of people that never accomplish multiple trips to the final four, but a little behind people who do what he did at the same school. Just IMO.

He is a job hopper, but it isn't like he didn't upgrade.  His first head coaching position was Boston U.  He left there to be an assistant with the Knicks.  He then became the head man at Providence, which he left to be the head coach of the Knicks where he actually was quite successful (he took over a 24 win team and in his brief stint won the division something NY hadn't done in like 20 years).  He then left for the job at Kentucky (the premier job in college).  He left that (again after a lot of success) to take over the Celtics as both coach and G.M. (the premier job in the NBA).  He couldn't coach and run the team (and frankly I don't think anyone could) and thus wasn't all that successful and ended up back in college at Louisville, where he has been for 11 years. 

Without the allure of the NBA hanging over him, he is still the coach at Kentucky (of course he might not have gotten that job if he wasn't the coach of the Knicks).  I can't see Pitino leaving Louisville at any point in time.  Not sure how much longer he will coach, but he will be there until he is ready to retire (at least that is my opinion).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 11:35:18 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
He should get in eventually.

My guess is that there is a good amount of voter bias against the guy, though.  He's not exactly of the highest character and critics will point to his Celtics tenure as well as lack of national titles since his lone one in '96 as detriments.

Let's face it, its not all about statistics when it comes to voting.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 11:35:58 AM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
Louisville needs to win one for him to get in

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 11:58:13 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He can be his own worst enemy.   I think he is a good college coach but a horrible GM and bad NBA coach.

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 02:39:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
He can be his own worst enemy.   I think he is a good college coach but a horrible GM and bad NBA coach.
I actually think he was a pretty good NBA coach.  He won a lot with the Knicks and had he not also been GM for Boston, I think he would have done a lot better in Boston as well (imagine if Pitino was coaching with Ainge or even Red running the front office).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip