Author Topic: Three UNC stars to enter NBA draft  (Read 5684 times)

Re: Three UNC stars to enter NBA draft
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 04:37:20 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Call me crazy but I think James McAdoo is the kid on that UNC roster who has the most NBA potential.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 05:07:50 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Call me crazy but I think James McAdoo is the kid on that UNC roster who has the most NBA potential.

You are not crazy. He looks really good. I like him more than the other UNC guys.

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 05:43:55 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I agree with this.  Although to be fair, it might be at least partially because we haven't had the chance to pick him apart, like we have with Barnes. 

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 05:50:58 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

It's a pretty common opinion really.  McAdoo looked completely lost and ineffective on the court until about mid-February, after which he improved a lot but was still pretty erratic.  But the physical skills and potential were always very apparent.

I wonder if Barnes might actually wind up with the least accomplished career of these three.  He's got a more well-rounded game but Henson (shot-blocking) and Marshall (ball-handling, passing) are at more of an elite level in their specializations.

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 06:00:06 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

It's a pretty common opinion really.  McAdoo looked completely lost and ineffective on the court until about mid-February, after which he improved a lot but was still pretty erratic.  But the physical skills and potential were always very apparent.

I wonder if Barnes might actually wind up with the least accomplished career of these three.  He's got a more well-rounded game but Henson (shot-blocking) and Marshall (ball-handling, passing) are at more of an elite level in their specializations.

Barnes hasn't impressed me at all in his 2 years at UNC. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 06:15:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm not impressed with any of these three. Barnes is the best of these three and he's just gonna be an NBA chucker at best.

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 06:40:15 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
are any of them  ...7 ft and ran run like a deer. ;D

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 07:05:54 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Barnes should have come out last year.  He hurt himself more than helped himself with his performance this year.

Williams and Calipari are incredible recruiters.  Amazing talent they just keep bringing in.

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 07:28:09 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Barnes hasn't impressed me at all in his 2 years at UNC. 

Barnes had a really good stretch of 6 weeks or so toward the end of last year, but nothing like that this season (I watch almost every UNC game). 

I will say he's one of those sneaky guys who seems to not do much, good or bad, but then you look up and suddenly he has 20 points.  I think he can be a quietly efficient starter in the NBA, which isn't bad, but I don't know about anything beyond that.  Maybe a good 3rd or 4th option on a playoff team.

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 08:05:02 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I think Hensen could be good. I kind of like him. Already rebounds and blocks shots and could get a lot stronger on an NBA strength program. Barnes could end up just being McCants or Forte 2.0 to pick a couple UNC examples. MCadoo seems really boom or bust.

Zeller could have a solid long career though. He's big, rebounds, and is pretty mobile.

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 08:21:39 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
Not convinced wit Henson he's gonna have a Ed Davis type career he's horrible offensively nd super skinny he'll be a bust. Already shared my feelings on barnes overrated wit no killer instinct nd cant create his own shot he wont be a star in the NBA. Marshall can have a Andre Miller type career IMO solid point guard great playmaker he'll be a pass first point guard

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 09:17:20 PM »

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
As a Tarheel alum and fan, i can give ya my 2 cents.

1) Barnes is so overrated.  He cannot dribble.  turns it over repeatedly when he puts it to the floor.  He is a fantastic, pull up shooter, with good size, but that's about it.  Honestly as a Heel fan he is the only person outside of JR Reid I wanted to leave early.

2) Henson is the steal.  Yes, he is skinny and not as skilled offensively, but he has made massive strides on his offensive game.  Last season he would of never pulled up and shot a 15 footer, now he makes them consistently.  He has a 7'6" wingspan and is still growing.  He is as good defensively as Anthony Davis, maybe better bc Davis has not improved much on D, while Henson has made huge jumps year to year.  He has a little bit of an attitude, but in a good way.  If you try to show him up, he is gonna come back at you hard next time.

3) Why Marshall is coming out is beyond me.  First the injury.  I had the same injury in college and I missed the 2nd half of my junior season.  There is no way he will play at draft camps or personal workouts.  SO his stock will depend on people's opinion on what he did as the PG for UNC.  Not a real positive draft position.  I seriously doubt if he will be drafted within the first 20 picks and expect him to drop to the bottom of the 1st round or early 2nd round.  He is a suspect shooter and takes way too long to get his shot off.  NBA guards will eat him up on D as well.  Think about who he will have to play - Rondo, Westbrook, CP3, D Rose.  No way Marshall can stay with any of them.  He is the passing version of Jimmer Ferdette.  Skilled but really cannot guard people at his position.

So, Yes on Henson, maybe on the Black Falcon and a big no effing way on Marshall, especially since you will not be able to judge his skills bc of the injury.

I would draft Tyler Zeller over all 3.  Zeller is a proven worker, has made huge strides year to year and is a very nice kid.

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 09:25:01 PM »

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Barnes should have come out last year.  He hurt himself more than helped himself with his performance this year.

Williams and Calipari are incredible recruiters.  Amazing talent they just keep bringing in.

There is a difference between Williams and Pay Pal Cal.  Old Roy has had Zeller and Hanborough stay 4 years, Ellington, Lawson, Green, Sean May, Felton, and McCants stay 3 years.

How many seniors has Pay Pal Cal had graduate?

Barnes had no business coming out last year, this years performance should be enough evidence.

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 10:12:57 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
About 90% grads at UMass....one # 1 pick in 9 yrs