Author Topic: Why I see Dwight getting traded between June 28th and July 11th.  (Read 9128 times)

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Orlando was in a horrible position.  They basically had no leverage.

Dwight was adamant about going to Brooklyn, but didn't want Brooklyn to give up any assets.  He liked the prospect of joining a "fresh" "new" team in Brooklyn with all the hype surrounding it.  They'd have Deron, Brook Lopez, top 5 odds of landing Anthony Davis, as well as the Rockets pick (top 14 protected... currently projected 16) and other young players like Marshon Brooks to build around.  

Dwight knew that Brooklyn gutting their roster to get him didn't make much sense long-term (as the Knicks did with Melo)... especially when Brooklyn would have enough cap space in the offseason to flat out sign him without giving up any of their assets (the only sacrifice would have likely been Kris Humphries... who they'd renounce to have enough cap room to give Dwight his 20 million a year).  

The only other teams Dwight was even willing to consider a trade to were the Lakers and Mavericks.  The Mavs had nothing to offer so that left the Lakers.  Orlando wanted Bynum AND Gasol.  The Lakers didn't see the point in that.  They were the only team that could really give Orlando anything of value... Magic could take Bynum or be left with nothing.  One other thing with the Lakers here... I'm not so sure it was a given that Dwight would have extended with them if all they had left on that roster was an aging Kobe.  I think it was a genuine concern for the Lakers and all the articles (ie:  "Dwight Sours on Lakers") may have had a semblance of truth to them.  THAT is why I think we were seeing so many Gasol rumors.  If you know you're swapping Bynum for Dwight, doesn't it then make sense to trade Pau for a player like Rondo?  Landing a youngish PG like Rondo was likely enough for them to lock in Dwight long term.

Dwight also likely didn't want to join the Nets this season, because he knew he would mess up their draft hopes by helping them win meaningless games (they are already out of the playoffs).  Dwight's pipe dream was to finish out the season in Orlando and then join Jersey for nothing.  He spoke out that he'd like to finish the season in Orlando, because he felt it was the best thing for "the fans".  Obviously the guy is a total full-blown moron if he believed that was the best thing for "the fans" or believed that was going to work.  He was essentially saying he wanted to just make the playoffs this year and then leave Orlando with NOTHING in the offseason.  Basically it was a dirty snake bush-league attempt to lull Orlando to sleep on the fools gold hope of winning a title this year and perhaps convincing Dwight to stick around (even though a title was a long shot and him joining Brooklyn was inevitable).

So now Orlando was in a horrible position.  Their only two trading partners weren't willing (or able) to start a bidding war for Dwight.  To their credit, they also saw through what Dwight was attempting to do.  The writing was on the wall.  Dwight was trying to screw them.  It got to the point where their best option was to just throw Dwight on the open market and let the highest bidder rent him for the remainder of the season (with the understanding they likely wouldn't be able to resign him, but they could grasp to the hope of convincing Dwight to stick around).... so that's exactly what they did.  It was their last power move.  "Alright Dwight... the heck with you... we're washing our hands with this ... enjoy playing out the remainder of the season on the Bobcats.  The media is going to bury you."  Dwight suddenly panicked.  He saw how this could play out (he'd be vilified on a LeBronian level).  He went into damage control mode... spoke out about how he had a change of heart and loved Orlando and the Orlando fans.  He blamed the whole thing on having received "bad advice".  He then agreed to NOT opt out of his final year... meaning that Dwight will be locked into a contract with Orlando through 2012-13.  Orlando gets their leverage back.

With Orlando now retaining the Dwight Howard leverage (through 2012-13), the Nets suddenly have a mild panic.  Deron Williams is an unrestricted free agent.  They felt reasonably comfortable they had this Dwight Howard thing locked in, but now there's a likelihood that Dwight sticks in Orlando and Deron bolts Brooklyn for greener pastures.  For whatever reason, they end up trading for Gerald Wallace... hoping that will placate Deron into sticking around.  That "top 5" pick asset now may be gone... It's only top 3 protected at this point.  Still hope for Anthony Davis, but otherwise that pick is going to the Blazers (currently projected 5th).  The dream of simply signing Dwight and not losing a single asset may indeed be gone.  Another interesting wrinkle to this... Gerald Wallace (like Deron) ALSO holds a player option next year.  They are at risk of losing them both AND the top 5 pick.  They are pretty confident that Gerald WILL pick up the 9.5 mil player option, though.  But ah hah... now what does that do to their cap space?  Presuming Deron stuck around and Humphries walked, they were looking at a total committed salary next season of roughly 35.5 mil.  If the cap is 58 mil, that would have leaves plenty of room to sign Dwight to his contract with a starting salary of 19 mil.   With Gerald Wallace presumably on board, their committed salary (once again letting Humphries walk) is now 45 million.  If you're doing math at home, you'll see that means THEY NO LONGER would have the ability to sign Dwight outright.  They would need to trade someone to free up enough cap room to bring in Dwight.  Someone like Brook Lopez, for example.

See where I'm going with this?  Knowing all of what I'm saying... explain to me why Orlando doesn't trade Dwight this offseason while they still have leverage?  Do they really want to drag this out again through next year and once again risk a mid-season media circus where they lose their leverage in the process?  They are still clinging to the possibility of winning a title this year and convincing Dwight to stick around, but presuming that does not happen, don't they work out a deal with Brooklyn over the summer?  If the Nets let Humphries walk and keep Deron and Gerald they will have 45 mil in committed salary.  With the cap set at 58 mil, that's only 13 mil in cap space...  if they intend to bring in Dwight (who makes 19.5 mil next year), I think they'd have to send roughly 6.5 mil to Orlando to get it done.  Lopez makes 4.1.  Perhaps the "rest" is filler?  Perhaps the "rest" is the Marshon Brooks?  Perhaps the "rest" is whoever they sign with the #16 pick (from the Rockets).  It does indeed make sense that Brooklyn will be highly motivated to get something done quickly, though... or risk having Deron and Gerald go elsewhere.  Seems to me you should be putting your money on Brooklyn sending a nice little package for Dwight... sometime between June 28th (draft day) and July 11th (beginning of free agency).  Dwight holds some leverage here still... only teams that know they can resign him will be willing to give up assets for him.  So Brooklyn and Orlando will get it done one way or the other.

Only thing that changes any of this is Dwight winning a title this season and having a genuine change of heart (not the fake one he displayed for the media a couple weeks ago when his people put him in damage control mode in an attempt to avoid a LeBronian PR disaster).    
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 05:06:27 PM by LarBrd33 »

Re: Why I see Dwight getting traded between June 28th and July 11th.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 05:32:48 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Why would it make a difference?  New Jersey will have to gut their roster to get him in July. 

I doubt they trade Howard.  He made more than a good faith gesture in signing the extension.

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 05:41:48 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2973
No way... not unless something drastic changes...DH seems VERY settled and satisfied with his choice. They are playing decent and can beat the Lakers  with DH at the top of his game.

Don't see him leaving to go to that aweful NJ Nets place.

If he goes anywhere, he'll probally head for NY Knicks , if things get bad again in Orlando.  Knicks will have dumped loser Melo and Old broken Amarie by then

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 05:43:06 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I read your point about Dwight panicking, but I just don't see if he truly had his heart set on going to Brooklyn why he'd resign for another year with Orlando as Brookyln's probably out of the race now.

As far as why Orlando would want to keep him; if you have Dwight Howard on your team you have a chance at competing every year, and you're putting butts in seats. Having financed a new, very expensive arena, it's terribly important for this team to hold onto their marquee star.

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 05:48:51 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I read your point about Dwight panicking, but I just don't see if he truly had his heart set on going to Brooklyn why he'd resign for another year.

He didn't resign for another year.  He has a player option next year that he fully intended to opt out of.  If you were following the story closely you'd see that right before his "change of heart" he was intent on playing out the remainder of the season and then leaving them for Brooklyn.  The problem with this is that it would have left Orlando with NOTHING in return.  He was spinning it as "the best thing for the fans"... as if this playoff run would be worth losing him.  Orlando saw through the bullEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. and put him on the open market saying they'd accept the best offer regardless of the team.  Dwight didn't want to get traded to a team like the Warriors or Bobcats, get labelled a punk, miss the playoffs this year and have a PR nightmare.  He's still hiding behind a facade of being a "good guy Christian player"... so he picked up his player option. 

I still see no reason why Orlando doesn't dump him in the offseason... otherwise they will be dealing with the same circus next year and risk losing their leverage in the process.

If Dwight actually wanted to be with Orlando he would have signed a contract extension beyond just the 1 year player option, no?

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 05:50:45 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2418
Not seeing it.

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 05:56:19 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Why would it make a difference?  New Jersey will have to gut their roster to get him in July.  

I doubt they trade Howard.  He made more than a good faith gesture in signing the extension.

FIrst of all a "good faith gesture" would be actually signing an extension.  He didn't sign an extension.  He just decided not to opt out.  Opting out (leaving Orlando with nothing) would have instantly made him worse than LeBron.  He had an opportunity to be honest with Orlando and tell them his plans.  He could have said unequivocally, "Look... I love you guys but I'm out of here.  I want to play in Brooklyn.  Trade me while you can", but instead he was selfishly asking to play out the season in Orlando so he could join his loaded Brooklyn team when they were finally out of Jersey.  Am I really the only one who gets this?  He is now blaming the whole thing on bad advice he received from an evil agent, but give me a break... the guy didn't want to join Brooklyn until Brooklyn was Brooklyn.  But the beginning of a PR nightmare was forming and he decided he better not opt out and get vilified.

As far as the Nets needing to gut their roster... you're wrong on that as well.  The Nets understood that Dwight was desperate to play for them (next year).  Dwight didn't want to play there this year and probably were better off not having him until next year anyhow... they are in the mix for the Anthony Davis draft (5th best odds right now) and Davis could be a phenom partner to pair with Dwight and Deron long-term.  Why jeopardize that by bringing in Dwight early and winning meaningless games?  Dwight supposedly was telling the Nets (his future team) NOT to give up major assets.  So they weren't going to.  I'm not even sure they were willing to part with brook Lopez, honestly.  Why get rid of Lopez when you know you can just sign Dwight for free in the offseason?

That's changed.  They can't sign dwight for free.  Orlando has some leverage now.  The Nets will have to give up something to get him... and that's likely Lopez. It'll all work out in the end... Orlando will get some pieces, Dwight will not be vilified for leaving them with nothing... and Brooklyn will build around Deron and Dwight.  

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 06:02:20 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Not seeing it.
Well like I said... Dwight is committed to winning a title and they are the 3rd seed this year.

When/if they fall short... what then?  You expect him to sign a lengthy extension to play long-term with his crap teammates?

Interesting.

Maybe we should trade them Rondo for Hedo Turkoglu so Dwight has a capable running mate.  

As far as I see it, Dwight wants to play with Deron Williams.  So either you expect Orlando to clear enough room to sign Deron or you expect Orlando to trade Dwight to Brooklyn.  Which is it?  Deron is an unrestricted free agent... when Brooklyn realizes it's Dwight or bust, I'm sure they'll offer up a hefty package for Dwight.  When Orlando only has Dwight signed through 1 season (once again they risk losing him after next year) and Dwight requests a trade... a deal gets done.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 06:09:55 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 06:06:18 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
[Edit: Nevermind.]
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 06:08:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Didn't the Nets trade their 1st rounder to Portland for Gerald Wallace?
Top 3 protected.  I covered that.

They are at risk of losing Deron, the draft pick AND Wallace if they don't do something drastic.   If Gerald Wallace was enough to keep Deron around, he would have picked up his player option already.  Both of those guys are unrestricted free agents if they decide to opt out.

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 06:29:10 PM »

Offline green7

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
i look at it like this, dwight is giving us a chance to get our team together before the 2013 free agency

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 06:38:22 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
i look at it like this, dwight is giving us a chance to get our team together before the 2013 free agency
Don't count on it.  He's a punk anyhow... embrace hating him when he is the face of Brooklyn next year.  

Besides, Boston is going to use up all their cap space next year on signing Chris Kaman and Candace Parker to replace KG, Ray, Jeff Green and Bass.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 06:43:39 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 07:10:51 PM »

Kiorrik

Don't count on it.  He's a punk anyhow... embrace hating him when he is the face of Brooklyn next year. 

Besides, Boston is going to use up all their cap space next year on signing Chris Kaman and Candace Parker to replace KG, Ray, Jeff Green and Bass.
Heh, that gif might've made me like him more :)

But yeah, I doubt he'll end up in Boston.

If he does, we can't ever, ever doubt Danny again.

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
What do you guys think... am I still crazy or is another one of my prophecies going to come true?

Dwight Howard regrets his decision to forgo his early termination option on his 12-13 contract, according to sources

Howard seeks a trade before next season and his camp is applying pressure on the Magic to pursue a deal as soon as a new general manager is in place.

Several GM candidates have been creating trade scenarios involving Howard and proposing them to CEO Alex Marins during the interview process.
Via Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/221303/Sources_Dwight_Regrets_Opt_In_Decision_Seeks_Trade#ixzz1wTBSglBl

So we've established one of my beliefs... that Dwight never wanted to opt in, but did it out of fear of being labelled the "next LeBron".   He wants out.  Very possibly will be traded.  Rumors towards the deadline suggested the ONLY team he wanted to play for was Brooklyn.  Supposedly they got him to opt-in, but threatening to trade him to the Lakers (which he didn't want to play for).  So that probably rules out the Bynum for Dwight idea (Why would the Lakers dump Bynum for a rental of Dwight if Dwight doesn't agree to an extension?)...

Now from the Nets perspective they want to sell tickets in Brooklyn.  They dumped their #6 pick for a rental of Gerald Wallace (free agent).   Deron Williams can still ditch them.  Seems to me they have a TON of incentive to trade for Dwight.  Seems to me they'd throw everything at Orlando other than Deron Williams to get it done.  Some combo of Brook Lopez/Marshon Brooks, etc... You might say, "That's not enough", but if Dwight is forcing Orlando's hand and has a short list of teams he's willing to sign an extension with... what then?

I stand by my wild prediction that Dwight gets traded between June 28th and July 11th.  Between the draft and free agency.  Nets will be desperate to keep Deron on board and a deal will get done.

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 01:51:40 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Why would it make a difference?  New Jersey will have to gut their roster to get him in July.  

I doubt they trade Howard.  He made more than a good faith gesture in signing the extension.

FIrst of all a "good faith gesture" would be actually signing an extension.  He didn't sign an extension.  He just decided not to opt out.

That's the same good faith gesture that CP3 made in order to get the Clips to trade for him.