Author Topic: Early Declarers for the Draft  (Read 26573 times)

Re: Early Declarers for the Draft
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2012, 06:51:54 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
Two very different-caliber prospects, James McAdoo (UNC) and Kenny Boynton (Florida), will NOT be entering the draft this year:

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/05/james-michael-mcadoo-puts-nba-draft-talks-to-rest-will-return-to-unc/

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7779022/kenny-boynton-florida-gators-returning-senior-season
We'll see what happens with McAdoo, but he could have been top 10 pick this year.  His lack of playing time helped his stock ironically, because what people saw was impressive (very limited game action though). 
For all we know, he could go out next year and average 4 pts and 2 rbs a game.  Should have declared for the draft IMO.

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2012, 12:32:26 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2012, 08:25:28 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Sullinger's officially in:

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2012/story/_/id/7774756/jared-sullinger-ohio-state-buckeyes-announce-entering-draft-source-says

I think he's being severely underrated right now.  Would love to see him slip to us.

EH I think he is too undersized and not athletic enough to be more than a better BBD/dujuan blair type. Whithey and Robinson(who is the same size,but much more athletic) dominated him.

Dajuan Blair would be a huge boon to us..but Sullinger measured 6'10 (in shoes), with a 7'1 wingspan

Sullinger is not 6'10, there's no way a 6'10 guy would have that much trouble getting up shots on Robert Sacre. Sullinger is probaby 6'8

Robert Sacre is 7 feet and in my opinion one of the best defenders in college basketball.  Most people should have trouble getting a shot off against him.

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2012, 08:43:49 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Trey Burke is expected to go, but hasn't declared yet.  Kid would be an absolute steal for anyone, averaged 15, 5, and 4 as a freshman PG for Michigan.

Trey Burke needs at least a season in the D-league. He could be a nice player in a couple of years, but I'm not sure I'd declare him a steal.  Someone to look at in the second-round, especially if we have two picks, and maybe someone for us fans to learn to be patient with.  But he's small, and has a tendency to both get in trouble with his dribble and launch long, early shot-clock, 3's.  I am honestly surprised he's likely entering the draft, but perhaps he doesn't like Michigan, and this is a better option that transferring and sitting out a year.

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2012, 09:00:24 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2012/story/_/id/7774756/jared-sullinger-ohio-state-buckeyes-announce-entering-draft-source-says

I think he's being severely underrated right now.  Would love to see him slip to us.

DraftExpress has him going sixth in their mock draft.  How is that undervalued (or relevant to the C's)?

« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2012, 09:50:17 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

DraftExpress has him going sixth in their mock draft.  How is that undervalued (or relevant to the C's)?

NBAdraft.net had him going at 15, so who knows? He is underrated at the moment.

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2012, 10:44:20 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

EH I think he is too undersized and not athletic enough to be more than a better BBD/dujuan blair type. Whithey and Robinson(who is the same size,but much more athletic) dominated him.

Dajuan Blair would be a huge boon to us..but Sullinger measured 6'10 (in shoes), with a 7'1 wingspan

Sullinger is not 6'10, there's no way a 6'10 guy would have that much trouble getting up shots on Robert Sacre. Sullinger is probaby 6'8

He measured 6'9.5 with shoes on in 2009.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2012, 01:04:48 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
We'll see what happens with McAdoo, but he could have been top 10 pick this year.  His lack of playing time helped his stock ironically, because what people saw was impressive (very limited game action though). 
For all we know, he could go out next year and average 4 pts and 2 rbs a game.  Should have declared for the draft IMO.

People were impressed by what they saw after he finally started playing to his preseason billing during the ACC and NCAA tournament.  Before then, he was bad enough in his limited time coming off the bench that I think he had slipped from a guy who was projected as a top 7 pick to a mid-first rounder.  For most of the year, he looked nothing like he was projected, airballing a ton of outside jumpers and looked rushed and unsure of himself.

I thought the best he looked all year was in his first ever start after John Henson got hurt.  He was composed and worked seamlessly into a team structure, picking when to pass and when to shoot.  When he came off the bench, it was like he tried to be a microwave scorer.  He literally shot every time he shot the ball and wasn't all that successful at it either.  For a guy who was praised for his high basketball IQ, it was startling.  Seeing how much better he was as a starter, I think he just didn't know how to adjust to being a reserve for the firs time in his life.

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2012, 02:19:00 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
The last pick in the 2nd round last year (Mr. Irrelevant) was Isiah Thomas, playing very well and getting great press in Sac.

For the delusionally inclined, or the underrated, that example would be big inspiration, plus the Jeremy Lin undrafted story.

Not to mention, Ginobili went on 55th pick and both Bruce Bowen and Ben Wallace went undrafted.

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2012, 05:53:23 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
McAdoo has elite bloodlines isn't he a cousin to Bob?

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2012, 08:57:30 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

i believe so, though how "elite" those bloodlines are could be debated.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2012, 09:01:44 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Trey Burke is expected to go, but hasn't declared yet.  Kid would be an absolute steal for anyone, averaged 15, 5, and 4 as a freshman PG for Michigan.

Trey Burke needs at least a season in the D-league. He could be a nice player in a couple of years, but I'm not sure I'd declare him a steal.  Someone to look at in the second-round, especially if we have two picks, and maybe someone for us fans to learn to be patient with.  But he's small, and has a tendency to both get in trouble with his dribble and launch long, early shot-clock, 3's.  I am honestly surprised he's likely entering the draft, but perhaps he doesn't like Michigan, and this is a better option that transferring and sitting out a year.

havent seem much of burke, but i think your take is a good one. in a year his stock would probably be higher. but if he comes out and the celtics take him in the second round, i would not complain.

a question for the board...i know sometimes teams "sell" first round picks. does this happen with second round picks as well? if so, danny may be tempted to do so given the evenness of player talent deep into the draft.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2012, 10:54:30 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Nephew.

« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2012, 01:26:06 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
From ESPN:

Kansas forward Thomas Robinson will announce at a news conference Monday that he will enter the NBA draft, Jayhawks coach Bill Self told ESPN.com's Andy Katz.

Justin Hamilton (C - LSU) has also declared.
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20120406/SPORTS0202/204060328/LSU-s-Justin-Hamilton-opts-NBA?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

Same for Texas A&M junior Khris Middleton (SF)
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/18354959/texas-ams-khris-middleton-declares-for-draft

Also, some interesting news:

Mississippi State talented freshman Rodney Hood is transferring, sources told CBSSports.com.

Lastly, looks like CJ Mccollum will NOT head to the nba.
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-04-09/cj-mccollum-lehigh-nba-draft-staying#ixzz1rZ0KQO9x

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2012, 02:47:30 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Somehow I think Thomas Robinson will have a successful NBA career. He's a good leader, and a great athlete. I believe he will be the 2nd pick above Kidd-Gilchrist

but how much you want to bet that Cleveland will somehow end up with the number 1 pick again