Author Topic: Who was the best value pick in the 2010 draft?  (Read 3579 times)

Who was the best value pick in the 2010 draft?
« on: April 18, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Which guy has most exceeded expectations, relative to draft position?

Some options:

5. DeMarcus Cousins
7. Greg Monroe
10. Paul George
19. Avery Bradley
27. Jordan Crawford
28. Greivis Vasquez
39. Landry Fields

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Who was the best value pick in the 2010 draft?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 10:19:16 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
Landry Fields at 39 is pretty [dang] good. I'd give him the nod.

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 10:22:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Some options:

5. DeMarcus Cousins
7. Greg Monroe
10. Paul George
19. Avery Bradley
27. Jordan Crawford
28. Greivis Vasquez
39. Landry Fields
Relative to where they were drafted, I think it has to be Greg Monroe. In a year or two he might be the third best center in the league and be a consistent 20/10 player for a decade. Getting that at #7 is awesome value.

But I'm surprised not to see Trevor Booker, who I think might be every bit as good a value draft pick as Bradley or George who I would consider tied for 2nd in value relative to where they were drafted.

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 10:32:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Last year I would have agreed but Fields has fallen mightily this year in overall performance. His outside shooting, rebounding and free throw shooting have all gotten worse and his three point shooting and FT shooting are horrible right now.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 10:41:01 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 10:51:25 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Great question. Was not thrilled with the Bradley pick precisely because of the players that were still on the board at 18; but he has finally proven himself. If he can keep it up he would rank up there with Rondo as a steal. Not sure he can with his size at SG. Will have to continue to shoot 60%.

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 11:19:31 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Some options:

5. DeMarcus Cousins
7. Greg Monroe
10. Paul George
19. Avery Bradley
27. Jordan Crawford
28. Greivis Vasquez
39. Landry Fields
Relative to where they were drafted, I think it has to be Greg Monroe. In a year or two he might be the third best center in the league and be a consistent 20/10 player for a decade. Getting that at #7 is awesome value.

Yup.  Any 20/10 guy outside the top 3 is a near miracle.

Paul George may be the best #10 since Pierce.

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 11:21:53 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I love Greg Monroe. Great combination of work ethic, attitude, and talent. But wasn't he expected to go before the #7 pick?

Write-in candidate: Kevin Seraphin, if he can continue this past month's pace.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 11:24:11 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
So is it safe to say Linsanity is officially over?  A month ago I thought they were going to redo the NBA logo in his likeness and make him the first active player inducted into the Hall of Fame.  ;)

Or is he just excluded on a technicality because he wasn't drafted?

Relative to draft position though
, if it's not Jeremy Lin, it's Landry Fields.  You don't expect late 2nd round guys to contribute like he has (even if he has fallen off this year).

A guy like Avery Bradley, while I'm excited about what he's doing recently, it's not that surprising for a top 20 pick to do what he's doing.  Same thing with Cousins, Monroe, and George.  Those guys are more or less fair value for where they were drafted, while a guy like Fields was a steal.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 11:24:28 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Monroe or cousins.

Getting such talented big men outside the top 3 is impressive.

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 11:28:22 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Last year I would have agreed but Fields has fallen mightily this year in overall performance. His outside shooting, rebounding and free throw shooting have all gotten worse and his three point shooting and FT shooting are horrible right now.

This. Fields has been pretty mediocre this year. At best.

Considering draft position Avery is right up there. Jordan crawford is also a nice little scorer for #27.

Best all round players from the list are definitely monroe and cousins though.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 12:51:24 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

This. Fields has been pretty mediocre this year. At best.

To be fair to Fields, he has had to play with like 6 different point guards, has had two different coaches, and also had to play through two different media storms in New York (the Melo trade and Linsanity) on a poorly run Knicks team.  I'm optimistic he'll return to more of an "outperformer" rather than the current state of "mediocre" (which is still good for a 2nd rounder).  We'll see though.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 01:01:10 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
With the way he's been playing, Bradley has to be up there.  And as bad as he looked in the very limited time he played before he got settled and started playing well, I wouldn't say this is all so surprising necessarily.  What is he doing that wasn't expected of him?  He was expected to playing hounding defense and he's done that.  He was also expected by people who've seen him shoot in workouts and practices to be able to knock down shots and he's now doing that as well.  If Bradley hadn't suffered a serious ankle injury during the draft process and been able to work out for more teams, he might have gone higher than 19.

I think the ankle injury really did a number on him for awhile.  There was a video of him shooting in training camp a few months after his surgery and he clanked jumper after jumper.  Pros do not do that in practice.  His ankle injury had to be pretty serious to cause him to look like a scrub of a high school team.

I'm still not a big fan of Cousins though.  The raw numbers are impressive but he's so [dang] inefficient for a big that it deflates his impact.  He's also not much of a presence defensively despite taking a lot of charges.  He's a volume shooting big--that's rare and not in a good way.