Author Topic: Realistically, is the Celtics "thrill" gone?  (Read 7603 times)

Realistically, is the Celtics "thrill" gone?
« on: March 24, 2012, 12:29:42 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Yes, I know it sounds like a U2 song. But, the question begs to be asked.

Celtics haven't really beaten any good teams this year(with few exceptoins). Doc always mentions "guys are tired" after every loss.

Compare the way KG and Pierce look now with how they looked back on 2008.

Which brings me to the question asked in the subject line

Re: Realistically, is the Celtics "thrill" gone?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 12:59:26 PM »

Offline 5.9.20.34.43

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 21
Nah, I've seen worse. The bad times. This is still golden when we beat the Knicks or the "streaking Bucks". still love it when the other teams announcer says their team has young legs and claims before the half our old legs are done. Then in the fourth when we lock down down on D he remembers those young legs flew and may be tired from travel. I like being the underdog I guess. We look good. Give the kids a chance to play especially AB and Steamer.I only wish and Pray for health in this teams run.  But I still get thrilled every night. (I left work sick to go home and watch the game last night and was stoked until Peaches went down.) go C's.

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 01:21:39 PM »

Offline Tgro

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • It's all about the TEAM!
I thought  the thrill had returned until Pietrus got hurt. Seriously, we was rolling last night. Then he went down and it seemed like we were just a mishmash of players after that and we got blown out once again by the 76ers.

This team to me is for real should they all be healthy and gelled and playing their roll. But last night proved just how fragile that fine line of being competitive/uncompetitive we are. We've lost so many players that we're one more piece away from being toast. Then again, with those pieces in place playing like they were, we are just that close to being really a good playing team come playoff time.

I'm more optimistic about this team than pessimistic. Just give us Pietrus back and everyone playing like they did in the 1st half and I think they can give anyone a run for the money.

I'm still on board with this team. And no, the thrill is not gone for me.
The Celtics aren't quitters. Why should you be? - blind homer

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 01:53:52 PM »

Offline Carhole

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 63
Yes, I know it sounds like a U2 song. But, the question begs to be asked.

Celtics haven't really beaten any good teams this year(with few exceptoins). Doc always mentions "guys are tired" after every loss.

Compare the way KG and Pierce look now with how they looked back on 2008.

Which brings me to the question asked in the subject line

I don't even understand the question.

Compare PP and KG to who they were 5 years ago, yeah they are not as explosive or consistent.....who is in their 14 and 16th seasons?

Love watching the C's every game every year for 30+ years just get different thrills depending on the realistic expectations.

Right now, I am always happy to see KG, Ray and PP battling - no shame in getting old as long as you don't lay down. Those guys will go out swinging.

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 02:12:05 PM »

Offline Tone

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
The thrill to me was gone when we traded Perkins away

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 02:13:41 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think its tough in the regular season to have the thrill night in & night out but i think once the playoffs start, it'll be there until they're finally knocked out. (or if)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 02:16:33 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Honestly? It is gone for me right now. I was really hoping for a savvy move before the deadline to land us Kaman making us true contenders.

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 02:35:01 PM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
The thrill I get as a fan comes from:

A) Not knowing what's going to happen
B) Knowing we are going to win (e.g. the Pats)

B has been out of the question this year. Even the games we are expected to win aren't guaranteed. But I won't count this team out. Even though we've been decimated by injuries, our core is still there. I think we will it to the playoffs and from there we have a chance to make a run. It's slim, but until I believe this team has no chance the thrill will be there.
"Suit up every day."

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 02:41:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
speak for yourself...

Every game is a new contest with a fresh start.

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 03:06:45 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I still am enjoying the grind. Let's face it, this is an old fashioned meat grinder the Celtics are going through. The rebuilding talk can wait for another day.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 03:11:49 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
As far as rolling last night, hadn't the Sixers closed to within one point prior to Pietrus getting hurt?

As far as the thrill, the Celts have been my number one team for more than 50 years, so the thrill never goes. I am excited about rebuilding and being back in the running in 3-4 years.

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 04:04:12 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
what?

when you've built hope on Ron Mercer to be a star, or rooted for Rodney Rogers and Tony Delk, watching this team is pure emotion.

I love this team, and I will watch every game if I can, because they're special. Not only because they won #17. I love being the underdog, all the BSPN disrespect, and how this team play their hearts out. They've embraced celtic tradition, and they've fought through all the injuries. If not for those injuries, they'd easily have won 2 or 3 rings.

at first I thought of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fk2prKnYnI

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 04:19:08 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
The thrill will never be gone, for me.

As long as I see five Green Men hustling night in and night out, I'm good, and will always be good.

I first got on this bus in 1981, when a man named Larry caught my eye.

Fast forward to now? Still love this team, and will watch them whenever I can.

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 04:21:35 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I still had a thrill when this team was tanking games and finishing with the second worst record in the league.  I like watching the team play, even when a championship isn't likely.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 06:13:25 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Being able to come to Boston for the first time to see them in the Garden vs the Knicks has picked my "thrill" up to new levels. I really like this team and to be honest this team is my 2nd favorite out of the new big three era.
Some of the others teams from 09 up had one or two players on the team that I couldn't stand. I don't think they have a good chance of winning it all but you never know what things will look like in the NBA at the end of the season. That's why they play.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing them rebuild over the next few years. I want to see what Ainge can do.
Peace through Tyranny