Author Topic: Boris Diaw bought out  (Read 6590 times)

Re: Boris Diaw bought out
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 10:27:24 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Diaw's the best option in the buyout market: the only real two-way player.  Healthy, capable of absorbing a lot of minutes at multiple positions, tremendously versatile skillset.

Really hoping he lands here.  One of my favorite players, though his weight gain has tempered my affection.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 10:36:47 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
John Schuhmann ‏ @johnschuhmann
RT @valdu08: Parker has a radio show every monday night, he made it very clear that Diaw was on his way to SA.

Tony Parker seems to think he is going to San Antonio....
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 10:38:02 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Diaw's the best option in the buyout market: the only real two-way player.  Healthy, capable of absorbing a lot of minutes at multiple positions, tremendously versatile skillset.

Really hoping he lands here.  One of my favorite players, though his weight gain has tempered my affection.

I agree.  He's not exactly what we need in terms of rebounding and size, but he's far and away the most skilled player out there (assuming Kaman doesn't get bought out).  

And let's not forget that we won the '08 title with Posey and Garnett closing games out at the 4/5.  Rebounding was a problem that they overcame with spacing and defense, so it's not a bad path to go now with Diaw.  
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 10:47:25 AM by Jon »

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 10:39:16 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
RT @valdu08: Parker has a radio show every monday night, he made it very clear that Diaw was on his way to SA.

Huge acquisition for the Spurs

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 10:39:46 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

[dang] it, it's over no one wants to join the old 3....

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 10:44:45 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

Huge acquisition for the Spurs

In more ways than one....

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 10:48:43 AM »

Offline redbov

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Diaw is Parker's best man, they're close friends.

Parker didn't exactly say Diaw was going to San Antonio, only said the normal stuff you expect to hear in such situations. Still, if Pop is willing to sit down Bonner, it makes a lot of sense for them.

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 10:51:49 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300

Hopefully the C's get him, he's been pretty bad this year but I'd rather have a flexible big man like him than 7 foot plodders like Hollins/Kryl. Though getting two of the three is probably our best case scenario no matter which ones.

Yeah, I know a lot of fans are rooting for Reggie Evans, but I like the Diaw / Hollins combo.

I'd still prefer Evans to Diaw, but Diaw is certainly a decent backup opotion

Evans is clearly a better rebounder, but he's much worse on offense, much worse at passing, and much worse on defense.

I haven't read up on it, but why is a playoff contender cutting a rotation player like Evans, anyway?  The Clips must not be terribly enamored by his contributions.

Yeah Roy i've been wondering the same thing, and i can't find anything on it.  Looked through some Clips blogs/fan sites and most people are irate at the very notion of an Evans buyout. 

I mean when he's not rebounding he's not contributing, but he's definitely played his role well this year in LA.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 10:59:36 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I would snag him and hollins. I would be ok with that.

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 11:01:06 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
So can we offer him more money than the Spurs?
I doubt we can because we are already over the cap, even if we cut JO and Wilcox.
So if the Spurs can offer him more money we don't stand a chance.
Arg.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012, 11:03:55 AM »

Offline redbov

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
The Spurs are over the cap too.

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2012, 11:08:09 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Get pietrus to make a push for him and have the wild frenchmen coming off the bench

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2012, 11:12:29 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
The front page's level of analysis on this is disappointing: preferring Ryan Hollins and Fesenko over Diaw? 

The San Antonio angle is interesting.  Diaw wouldn't see many minutes for them unless they want to kick Matt Bonner out of the rotation.

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2012, 11:21:18 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
The front page's level of analysis on this is disappointing: preferring Ryan Hollins and Fesenko over Diaw? 

The San Antonio angle is interesting.  Diaw wouldn't see many minutes for them unless they want to kick Matt Bonner out of the rotation.

Here's ESPN's anaylisis on him...

"As proof, here's John Hollinger's scouting report that harps on the conditioning issues:

Whoever wrote that French people don't get fat clearly never went to a Bobcats game. Although Diaw's conditioning has had surprisingly little effect on his game, he's clearly been living large of late. It hasn't affected his hunger for passing, however, as he led all power forwards in Pure Point Rating and assist ratio. Diaw eats up small defenders on the left block, where he has a nice right-handed jump hook shot, but the hard part is persuading him to shoot. He averaged just 13.3 points per 40 minutes, even though he's become a decent mid-range shooter that hit 44.6 percent of his long 2s last season and shot 34.5 percent on 3s. He chews up most big men off the dribble, too, with his superior ballhandling skills, but in spite of all that he finished below the league average for power forwards in usage rate. His rebounding famine is another problem. While Diaw has advantages in most respects at the power forward spot, he rebounds like a wing. His conditioning is part of the issue, plus he's not a leaper and he's a bit undersized. He was second-to-last among power forwards in rebound rate at a pathetic 9.0.

* Final thought: Like every big man we've examined in this space, Diaw is flawed. But he's probably also the most talented overall (the question is simply if his next team can get that talent out of him). He's not the best rebounder and he can't run the floor -- two troubling aspets if you're the Celtics. But for a team desperate for big men, to get one with talented would be a quality haul.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4691154/should-the-cs-consider-boris-diaw#more

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2012, 11:29:07 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo

Here's ESPN's anaylisis on him...

"As proof, here's John Hollinger's scouting report that harps on the conditioning issues:

Whoever wrote that French people don't get fat clearly never went to a Bobcats game. Although Diaw's conditioning has had surprisingly little effect on his game, he's clearly been living large of late. It hasn't affected his hunger for passing, however, as he led all power forwards in Pure Point Rating and assist ratio. Diaw eats up small defenders on the left block, where he has a nice right-handed jump hook shot, but the hard part is persuading him to shoot. He averaged just 13.3 points per 40 minutes, even though he's become a decent mid-range shooter that hit 44.6 percent of his long 2s last season and shot 34.5 percent on 3s. He chews up most big men off the dribble, too, with his superior ballhandling skills, but in spite of all that he finished below the league average for power forwards in usage rate. His rebounding famine is another problem. While Diaw has advantages in most respects at the power forward spot, he rebounds like a wing. His conditioning is part of the issue, plus he's not a leaper and he's a bit undersized. He was second-to-last among power forwards in rebound rate at a pathetic 9.0.

* Final thought: Like every big man we've examined in this space, Diaw is flawed. But he's probably also the most talented overall (the question is simply if his next team can get that talent out of him). He's not the best rebounder and he can't run the floor -- two troubling aspets if you're the Celtics. But for a team desperate for big men, to get one with talented would be a quality haul.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4691154/should-the-cs-consider-boris-diaw#more

Usage is a flawed metric.  Diaw does a lot with the ball at the PF, he just passes instead of shoots.  Usage rate doesn't reflect that.

And Diaw doesn't need to run the floor to be an effective transition weapon.  His handle and court vision allow him to find others on the break.  Right now Bradley and Dooling motor it up the floor but are blind to any facilitating opportunities.  Diaw would make guys like Bradley and Pietrus more effective transition weapons.