Author Topic: What franchise is doing things right?  (Read 10317 times)

What franchise is doing things right?
« on: March 18, 2012, 09:14:56 PM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
After the trade deadline there's been a mixed reaction to Danny's decision stand pat. A lot of people feel that we should have done something/anything because we're not contenders this year.

What franchise has made smart decisions over the past decade? Who would you like to see the Celtics model themselves after? What would that look like in terms of our immediate and long term strategy?
"Suit up every day."

Re: What franchise is doing things right?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 09:21:32 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
While the Heat is probably the team in the best position for the next 10 years, I'd say the Thunder would be the best team to model a franchise after. They drafted as well as any team in the NBA over the past 5 years and didn't bog themselves down with bad contracts.

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 09:26:35 PM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
After the trade deadline there's been a mixed reaction to Danny's decision stand pat. A lot of people feel that we should have done something/anything because we're not contenders this year.

What franchise has made smart decisions over the past decade? Who would you like to see the Celtics model themselves after? What would that look like in terms of our immediate and long term strategy?

Honestly? The best run franchise in the NBA is...The Spurs. They have been in contention the longest, won 4 titles in a 9 year period...people forget about them because of Shaq and Kobe but that is the model especially with an older team that needs to be used.

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 09:28:03 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I think the Celtics are one of the best run organizations in the NBA and are an example to the rest of the league as to how to run an NBA team.

Danny Ainge has done an excellent job. He has already built an organization that is doing things the right way.

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 09:41:06 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
San Antonio for sure.  Dallas has been well run since Cuban took over.  The Jazz have been a solid run franchise as well. They haven't been at a championship level in a while but they seem to rebuild quickly and get solid players via trade or the draft and get back to playoff contention quick enough. 

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 09:56:04 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
The Spurs, for sure. But OKC was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. They should be the model for a rebuilding franchise.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 10:11:09 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
The Spurs, for sure. But OKC was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. They should be the model for a rebuilding franchise.

Yes, get really, really lucky.

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 10:16:35 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

Exactly; you beat me to the punch.  OCK drafted Durant 2nd overall, Harden 3rd overall, and Westbrook 4th overall.  Where is the model in that?  You never really know who's going to turn out to be a star in the draft; it's all a crapshoot.  Also how many teams are going to get that many high picks in successive years? 

SA lucked out with Robinson and Duncan years later.

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 10:42:30 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Exactly; you beat me to the punch.  OCK drafted Durant 2nd overall, Harden 3rd overall, and Westbrook 4th overall.  Where is the model in that?  You never really know who's going to turn out to be a star in the draft; it's all a crapshoot.  Also how many teams are going to get that many high picks in successive years? 

OKC lucked out getting the Durant pick, sure. But Westbrook and Harden? Those were just wise picks (Harden in particular, since Love was taken just after Westbrook). It doesn't appear to be a fluke, either, since they also picked up Ibaka. The Sefolosha and Perkins trades were solid at worst, and potentially much better than that.

Are you saying that management deserves no credit for those?

Similarly, the Spurs have an absolutely outstanding draft record. Parker at 28. Ginobili at 57. Scola at 55. Barbosa at 28. Hill at 26. Blair at 37. More recently, Splitter at 28. Very hard to argue coincidence with those picks, since there's a very clear theme of identifying Euro talent.

Again, yes - getting the Duncan pick was luck.

But in both cases, the factor differentiating those teams from ones like Orlando with DH, or Cleveland with Lebron, is exceptional skill by the front office in surrounding the lead guy with quality players.

For the record, I'll say that our Celtics are at the top of the list too. Building a championship team from scratch with no top-5 players, and then wrapping up the era with cap space and multiple picks in a deep draft, is about as good as one could expect.

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 10:48:53 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
If we're not going to give credit to Presti for not having a single terrible contract on the roster for years, I don't know what a team has to do to get it right.

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 10:58:13 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

Harden and Westbrook were far from slam dunk picks when they were selected - both were actually projected to go later than Presti picked them. They've also been patient, and have done a good job on not reaching to hurt their cap.

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 11:26:39 PM »

Offline OnyxCashew

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Da Spurz.

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 11:29:13 PM »

Offline NextCeltic34

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
EASILY the Denver Nuggets

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 11:31:29 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

OKC lucked out getting the Durant pick, sure. But Westbrook and Harden? Those were just wise picks (Harden in particular, since Love was taken just after Westbrook). It doesn't appear to be a fluke, either, since they also picked up Ibaka. The Sefolosha and Perkins trades were solid at worst, and potentially much better than that.

Are you saying that management deserves no credit for those?

Similarly, the Spurs have an absolutely outstanding draft record. Parker at 28. Ginobili at 57. Scola at 55. Barbosa at 28. Hill at 26. Blair at 37. More recently, Splitter at 28. Very hard to argue coincidence with those picks, since there's a very clear theme of identifying Euro talent.

Again, yes - getting the Duncan pick was luck.

But in both cases, the factor differentiating those teams from ones like Orlando with DH, or Cleveland with Lebron, is exceptional skill by the front office in surrounding the lead guy with quality players.

For the record, I'll say that our Celtics are at the top of the list too. Building a championship team from scratch with no top-5 players, and then wrapping up the era with cap space and multiple picks in a deep draft, is about as good as one could expect.

Spurs don't take Parker if it isn't for Presti. He is an exceptional GM.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 11:37:35 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Gotta go with the Spurs...Contenders since Duncan was drafted. Amazing how they steal talent at late points in the draft.

As far as rebuilding its hard not to take OKC and a great example.